Please help with speaker installation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-11-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm renovating an apartment and making one room into a music listening and TV/movie watching room (I'm reluctant to call it a HT as I don't think it rises to that level).

I was all ready to go with a a 5.1 wall mounted speaker system (like the Energy Take) when I realized that I'm having lighting soffits built around the upper corner of the room -- and I could put speakers in there.

The soffits are 10" high and 11" deep.

Can someone please help me from there?

Is this a viable solution? Can I get good quality surround sound this way?

Should the speakers go on the underside of the soffits or the vertical face?

All suggestions (relating to this question, of course) would be very much appreciated.

Here's a picture of the front (where the TV will go -- not the channel in the wall for data/video/power) and the rear (where more speakers will live).

Thank you!

Rear:

Front:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-11-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 195
That might not be a bad way to go with smaller speakers. Especially if you don't want to open up walls to run wires. On the other hand, it looks like you have plenty of sheet rock work going on in there anyway. You really might as well run wires to the optimum speaker locations and have the sheetrocker patch the openings when they rock the soffits. That is what I'd do. You only need a couple of holes to run wires to locations suitable for speaker stands.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #3 of 4 Old 09-11-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

That might not be a bad way to go with smaller speakers. Especially if you don't want to open up walls to run wires. On the other hand, it looks like you have plenty of sheet rock work going on in there anyway. You really might as well run wires to the optimum speaker locations and have the sheetrocker patch the openings when they rock the soffits. That is what I'd do. You only need a couple of holes to run wires to locations suitable for speaker stands.

Thanks very much for the input.

Channeling the wall was already in the plan so the speakers can be mounted on the wall (about 2/3 of the way up is the idea, unless a different height is recommended???).

Stands aren't an option with 3 kids and 2 dogs and clumsy people traipsing around.

I should have been clearer about the idea: If I can mount the speakers entirely in the soffit above, then they won't be visible and the Mrs. will be a tad happier (plus it'll be a little cooler).

I guess the question then becomes, how much sound quality would I lose by putting the speakers in the soffit in the best possible way? And, what would that best way be?

Thanks
post #4 of 4 Old 09-12-2013, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Any other ideas/help/suggestions out there?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page