Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 94 Old 09-14-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Information for the Cambridge Audio Aero Loudspeaker Models.

This is a brand new "Forthcoming" (already available at Richer Sounds in the UK) loudspeaker line developed by Cambridge Audio which uses the renown 2 1/4" BMR (How does
work?) driver that was first introduced in the Minx "Lifestyle" systems. The Aero 3 surround uses a pair of their latest 4" BMR (Balanced Mode Radiator) drivers as used first in the Minx Air 100.

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/produc...-mount-speaker

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/produc...rround-speaker

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/produc...centre-speaker

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/produc...anding-speaker

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/aero-9-subwoofer

Aero Brochure: <a class="attachment loginreq" href="/attachments/72230" title="">aero-top-tips-english-single-pages.pdf 1053k .pdf file <a class="attachment loginreq" href="/attachments/72065" title="">aero-top-tips-english-double-page-spreads.pdf 926k .pdf file

Quote:Introducing Aero

We’ve combined radical technology and classic styling to produce a completely new type of speaker design.

After years of research into BMR (Balanced Mode Radiator) technology, our engineers recognised how amazing it could be in a more traditional speaker design.

The innovative Aero range is the result: BMR drivers replace traditional tweeters and work beautifully with conventional cone woofers to create fantastically clear, natural and coherent audio.

We’ve built them into classic speaker cabinets that will look good anywhere. And because BMR speakers aren’t fussy about placement, they can be positioned almost anywhere in the room and still sound great.

Radical, yet classic – the Cambridge Audio Aero range is here. Remove your preconceptions of what speakers sound like, and listen for yourself.

Reviews:

Speaker System (using Aero 6 as mains): http://www.whathifi.com/review/cambridge-audio-aero-51

Speaker System (7.1 - using Aero 6 as mains): http://www.avforums.com/review/cambr...r-review.10221

Speaker System (using Aero 2 as mains): http://www.trustedreviews.com/cambri...-System_review

Speaker System (using Aero 2 as Mains): http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...speaker-system

Speaker System (using Aero 2 as mains): http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news...1-review/17620

Aero 2 (Bookshelf): http://sportstoday.us/gadgets/cambri...-(part-1).aspx

Aero 2 (Bookshelf):http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index....2-loudspeakers
Attached Files
File Type: pdf aero-top-tips-english-double-page-spreads.pdf (925.8 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Perpendicular; 06-14-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 Old 09-15-2013, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is the U.S. Pricing announced for these speakers?
post #3 of 94 Old 09-15-2013, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I haven't noticed pricing but I'm working on finding out. smile.gif

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #4 of 94 Old 09-15-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I find it quite interesting that Cambridge Audio is calling the "Woofer" drivers, Subwoofers.
Quote:
Dedicated subwoofers

Aero 2, Aero 6 and Aero 5 all feature a Balanced
Mode Radiator (BMR) driver to seamlessly cover
the frequency range from 250Hz to 22kHz, allowing
the woofer(s) in each speaker to be entirely
optimised for efficient bass response, effectively
becoming a subwoofer.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #5 of 94 Old 09-15-2013, 08:44 AM

I am thinking that this Surround speaker could be ideal for a REAR SURROUND where the couch is next the rear wall separated only by a small table, and the listening distance from the speaker to listener is only a couple of feet.
post #6 of 94 Old 09-15-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I had to laugh at this search listing. biggrin.gif

Cambridge Audio | Facebook
‎It's not rocket science but what Cambridge Audio does to your music will really blow you ... It's currently the only place in the entire world to have our Aero 2 speakers installed. Pop by to hear them for yourself. Available to buy from September.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #7 of 94 Old 09-15-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucka View Post

I am thinking that this Surround speaker could be ideal for a REAR SURROUND where the couch is next the rear wall separated only by a small table, and the listening distance from the speaker to listener is only a couple of feet.

Better yet would be the Minx Min 11 or 21. Unless, of course, you need those lower frequencies than what the smaller satellite speakers can provide. Or, want the bi-polar design.

It's nice to see the Aero 3 surround was designed to be used either in Bipolar mode or as a dual monopolar speaker.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #8 of 94 Old 09-15-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

From what I can tell, so far, Richer Sounds in the UK has listed the Aero line.

The Aero 2 bookshelf @ £349.95, Aero 3 surround @ £299.95, Aero 5 center at @ $249.95, Aero 6 tower @ £649.95 and the Aero 9 Subwoofer @ £449.95. The prices on the speaker models are per pair.

While using the currency converter for the American dollar, the Aero 2 bookshelf is $555.65 per pair. My guess is that it will be closer to $560.00 per pair. The Aero 6 tower is $1031.99. My guess would be closer to $1,035.00. This is only a guess on my part.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #9 of 94 Old 09-15-2013, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I found this nice little introductory write up on the Aero.

http://www.insideci.co.uk/news/cambridge-audio-unveils-classic-aero-speaker-fleet.aspx

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #10 of 94 Old 09-15-2013, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Thanks for the links and info so far Jeff.

I was wondering, if the Aero 9 sub really is that price, would there be any reason to get the Minx subs? The specs they list is 21-200, though that probably is +/-6, it would mean it still has better reach than all of them and is priced roughly the same as the x300.

Perhaps they might be planning on lowering the price of the Minx subs? We've always thought they were priced rather high.
post #11 of 94 Old 09-15-2013, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ien2 View Post

Thanks for the links and info so far Jeff.

You're welcome!

Quote:

I was wondering, if the Aero 9 sub really is that price, would there be any reason to get the Minx subs? The specs they list is 21-200, though that probably is +/-6, it would mean it still has better reach than all of them and is priced roughly the same as the x300.

It looks like that may be the pricing. I received word from a dealer Spearit Sound that the Aero line is expected to be introduced at CEDIA show in Indianapolis that is coming up towards the end of this month. I'm expected to get pricing as it becomes available and will Post it here asap.

Quote:

Perhaps they might be planning on lowering the price of the Minx subs? We've always thought they were priced rather high.

I don't see this happening. Unless they get discontinued by a newer model and go on sale for a discount. From what I hear, it's an excellent subwoofer line and does what it's intended to do for their satellites. I say, if you can't afford their x500 but would settle for the x300 and want to save $200.00, go for the x200 which is pretty darn close, spec wise.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #12 of 94 Old 09-17-2013, 09:07 AM

I suspect that the Aero 5 Center Speaker may find itself as one of the better center speakers available, out performing many 3 way designs because of the 250Hz crossover point. It is this that has gotten my attention the most as I usually do not like the M-H-M design of most center speakers. I think that based upon the sound of the MF/HF driver in the Minx speakers that this speaker will be the winner against most center speakers anywhere near it price range and probably above.

Next step is to actually listen to these speakers and for everyone to start the comparisons,

Congratulations to the speaker development team at Cambridge Audio.
post #13 of 94 Old 09-17-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

I suspect that the Aero 5 Center Speaker may find itself as one of the better center speakers available, out performing many 3 way designs because of the 250Hz crossover point. It is this that has gotten my attention the most as I usually do not like the M-H-M design of most center speakers. I think that based upon the sound of the MF/HF driver in the Minx speakers that this speaker will be the winner against most center speakers anywhere near it price range and probably above.

Next step is to actually listen to these speakers and for everyone to start the comparisons,

Congratulations to the speaker development team at Cambridge Audio.

That's assuming the BMR driver is up to par, and can properly handle that low of a xover. The Boston Acoustics M-Center uses a 2.5" BMR with a 700Hz xover, and the BMR shows a pretty big dip in the treble, preceded by a noticeable peak in the 2-3kHz range (a range that can be associated with brightnesd): http://www.hometheater.com/content/boston-acoustics-m25-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

I'll reserve judgement until I see/hear what Cambridge was able to do with that driver in the Aero, but I'm not 100% sold on the BMR drivers yet.

Here's how the updates Minx measures: http://www.hometheater.com/content/cambridge-audio-minx-s325v2-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures
post #14 of 94 Old 09-17-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

That's assuming the BMR driver is up to par, and can properly handle that low of a xover. The Boston Acoustics M-Center uses a 2.5" BMR with a 700Hz xover, and the BMR shows a pretty big dip in the treble, preceded by a noticeable peak in the 2-3kHz range (a range that can be associated with brightnesd): http://www.hometheater.com/content/boston-acoustics-m25-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

I'll reserve judgement until I see/hear what Cambridge was able to do with that driver in the Aero, but I'm not 100% sold on the BMR drivers yet.

Here's how the updates Minx measures: http://www.hometheater.com/content/cambridge-audio-minx-s325v2-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

I totally agree with you which is why my comment "Next step is to actually listen to these speakers and for everyone to start the comparisons". But this center should solve the off axis dips of the typical M-H-M configuration and it is only this center speaker that I was referring to in my comments. But as to the overall sound, we will have to wait and listen when these speakers are released and them make our judgements as to where they fit in the marketplace.
post #15 of 94 Old 09-17-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 78
The standard crossover for the Minx BMR system, with the same driver, is between 120-150 hz.
post #16 of 94 Old 09-17-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I totally agree with you which is why my comment "Next step is to actually listen to these speakers and for everyone to start the comparisons". But this center should solve the off axis dips of the typical M-H-M configuration and it is only this center speaker that I was referring to in my comments. But as to the overall sound, we will have to wait and listen when these speakers are released and them make our judgements as to where they fit in the marketplace.

Very true, lobing should be a non-issue through the midrange... I do I wonder how the BRM performs off axis at higher frequencies...
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

The standard crossover for the Minx BMR system, with the same driver, is between 120-150 hz.

Even though the Minx can play down below 250Hz doesn't mean it necessarily should. It's going to limit how loud the driver can go, which limits the overall output of the speaker and/or means higher distortion. Letting the woofers handle a bit more of the frequency spectrum might have made the speaker more capable overall (hard to say without knowing about the woofers)...

Perhaps Cambridge felt the off-axis benefits outweighed those limitations.
post #17 of 94 Old 09-18-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...Even though the Minx can play down below 250Hz doesn't mean it necessarily should. It's going to limit how loud the driver can go, which limits the overall output of the speaker and/or means higher distortion. Letting the woofers handle a bit more of the frequency spectrum might have made the speaker more capable overall (hard to say without knowing about the woofers)...

Perhaps Cambridge felt the off-axis benefits outweighed those limitations.

I understand your point, but so far none of the owners of the Minx system are complaining about those effects.

By the way, according to the richersounds page, only the Aero 5 is magnetically shielded. So, in a Home Theater setup, your front speakers really need distance from the display.

http://www.richersounds.com/package/speakers/speaker-packages/pah011441
post #18 of 94 Old 09-18-2013, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

By the way, according to the richersounds page, only the Aero 5 is magnetically shielded. So, in a Home Theater setup, your front speakers really need distance from the display.

Shouldn't this matter with older CRT displays only? Not sure about rear projection sets like DLP, etc.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #19 of 94 Old 09-18-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand your point, but so far none of the owners of the Minx system are complaining about those effects.

Maybe they aren't complaining, but that doesn't mean distortion and dynamic compression aren't an issue... as they inevitably will be as those small drivers are asked to cover a broader frequency spectrum and as SPL goes up...

The real question is where (ie. at what SPL) those issues start to occur... and we'll just have to wait and see how the Aero speakers perform to answer that question. I imagine for many people it will never be an issue...but for some it may be.

Quote:

http://www.richersounds.com/package/speakers/speaker-packages/pah011441

Only an issue if you have a CRT display... doesn't matter for LCD or plasma.
post #20 of 94 Old 09-19-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 290
^^^^^^^ the only display that can be affected by magnet is CRT not DLP,LCD and PLASMA.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos play 1 surrounds.
post #21 of 94 Old 09-19-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Quote:

Only an issue if you have a CRT display... doesn't matter for LCD or plasma.
+1. If you have a CRT you don't need shielded speakers, you need a new TV.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #22 of 94 Old 09-26-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

post #23 of 94 Old 09-26-2013, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^ Thanks...I've been waiting for What HiFi? to Post that. I will place that link on the first Post. wink.gif

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #24 of 94 Old 09-26-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Even though WhatHiFi is not the most audiophile-driven reviewer, what did you think? They commented on a little lack of refinement on the high end, which is odd given the fineness and agility of Minx's implementation of the BMR. As the resident Minx expert on the forum, your comments would be interesting.

To Aero is human.
post #25 of 94 Old 09-26-2013, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After I read the review, I was surprised by a five star review. I expected to see a 4 to 4 1/2 stars tops.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #26 of 94 Old 09-26-2013, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 46
post #27 of 94 Old 09-27-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cambridge Audio Launches BMR-Equipped Aero 6 Tower Speaker

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/cambridge-audio-launches-bmr-equipped-aero-6-tower-speaker

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #28 of 94 Old 09-29-2013, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I am curious how long they let the BMR's break- in before they did their review. Nothing was said about that. Being as how enamored they are about the Minx series I wonder if they gave proper break-in time. But then again it wasn't stated or even talked about...unless I missed it!
post #29 of 94 Old 09-29-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNThorens View Post

I am curious how long they let the BMR's break- in before they did their review. Nothing was said about that. Being as how enamored they are about the Minx series I wonder if they gave proper break-in time. But then again it wasn't stated or even talked about...unless I missed it!

You would hope that CA, knowing their own speakers, would break them in in before giving over a review setup. But they don't bother to do so with their retail units.

Lack of break-in would explain a lot.
post #30 of 94 Old 09-29-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Plus, listening to them with their grilles in place.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page