Ascend Sierra-1 / 170s: Worth it in my setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-15-2013, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a Denon 891/2311 receiver in a 3.1 setup running PSB T45s and a matching center (C5?). It isn't a very balanced listening room with the TV in the corner, speakers at different heights etc. The room is approximately 13x15 but opens to the kitchen/table area which makes it more like a 13x30 space. I will be adding in wall/in ceiling surrounds in the future as well.

We listen to a mix of music, movies and TV. I don't have super discerning audiophile ear, but I do appreciate listening to the detail in music.

I am looking to move to smaller speakers book shelf speakers to replace the T45s to gain some floorspace back and make the room "look" a little better.

I am considering the Ascent Sierra-1s, Ascent 170s, and PSB B6s. I am leaning toward the Sierra-1, but don't really want to spend the money over the 170s if I am unlikely to see a big difference given my non-ideal configuration. Also given my inexperience in A/V, I am not sure what to expect compared to my current PSB T45 setup.

Any help or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-16-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Speaker placement and room interaction can make a huge difference on sound. You aren't going to gain floorspace by getting bookshelves because you still need speaker stands, unless you plan to put them on a shelf. If that is the case, you should look for something front ported.

I don't think upgrading your speakers is going to make a large difference in sound quality, I would instead keep what you have and see if you can improve the placement. Can you relocate the TV or maybe wall mount it? Perhaps post a layout and we can see if you have any good alternatives. If you have limited placement options now, your new speakers will face the same issue...

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #3 of 6 Old 09-16-2013, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

Speaker placement and room interaction can make a huge difference on sound. You aren't going to gain floorspace by getting bookshelves because you still need speaker stands, unless you plan to put them on a shelf. If that is the case, you should look for something front ported.

I don't think upgrading your speakers is going to make a large difference in sound quality, I would instead keep what you have and see if you can improve the placement. Can you relocate the TV or maybe wall mount it? Perhaps post a layout and we can see if you have any good alternatives. If you have limited placement options now, your new speakers will face the same issue...

Thanks for your feedback. The new speakers will go on bookshelf. The TV can't be moved as it is located in a built in cabinet. The left speaker will be on a bookshelf ear level. The right and center will be above the TV.

Curious though...if I put them on a shelf, why should they be front ported? Why would a manufacturer make a "bookshelf" speaker that wasn't optimal on a shelf?
post #4 of 6 Old 09-16-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnadrifter View Post

Thanks for your feedback. The new speakers will go on bookshelf. The TV can't be moved as it is located in a built in cabinet. The left speaker will be on a bookshelf ear level. The right and center will be above the TV.

Curious though...if I put them on a shelf, why should they be front ported? Why would a manufacturer make a "bookshelf" speaker that wasn't optimal on a shelf?

That being said, since you already have the PSB Image C5, the Image B6 make the most sense. They are timbre matched and are an excellent speaker. Just make sure you have about 6" of space behind the speaker so as not to interfere with the port.

I think bookshelf refers more to the fact that they can be placed on a shelf, but the optimal location is on speaker stands.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #5 of 6 Old 09-16-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

I am not sure it is the current C5 though. It is about 9 years old and seems to be a bit bigger in length.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-16-2013, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnadrifter View Post

I am not sure it is the current C5 though. It is about 9 years old and seems to be a bit bigger in length.

Just checked. It is a C40. I also have S10 dipoles in the garage.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page