Center speaker in a 5.1 setup off-center by one foot? No problem? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-16-2013, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My condo layout is funny because there is a 2-foot wide post smack in the middle of the living room (there is a pipe that runs through the building in it). To make use of it, I decided to wall mount a 65" TV onto the post (center of TV 43" above the floor, roughly eye level for a short guy like me sitting on the couch) and build a low (50 cm) console around the post.

I can put the center speaker (a) on the post above the TV or (b) below the TV, to one side of the post (with the subwoofer on the other side).

If I choose (b), the speaker will be one foot off center and just about 10cm from the floor.

Is this a good idea?

If I choose (a), the speaker may have to be a bit higher up (not directly above the TV) and I'd have to try to angle it downwards when it is mounted. I am planning to have five B&W 685s around the TV, so mounting the center 685 means having to build a metal bracket to hold it and bolt that onto the post (or the ceiling).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-16-2013, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Pictures might help but I think I would choose option "A".

Centered but high, seems better than off center and really low. The 10cm off the floor would mean you have to angle up some anyway... so when considering angling up vs angling down it could be a wash. But then you have to consider the boundary problems with the proximity to the floor and the off center issues.

post #3 of 8 Old 09-16-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Edited the thread.

The center of the TV is going to be 43 inches from the floor, meaning the TV will be less than two feet from the floor. Putting the 685 below it, in the console on one side of the post, means it will be directly below the TV (but one foot off center).
post #4 of 8 Old 09-16-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2235
No matter where you put it, within reason, the sound will seem to be coming from the middle of the screen, because your eyes are telling you so. Whenever both visual and audio direction cues are present visual trumps audio.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-17-2013, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 71
^ What Bill said.

You can see from my setup, not ideal because ... uh ... my father-in-law built the cabinet for us...that the center speaker (top left shelf) is about 6" off center. It is also angled upward toward the listening position. Within reasonable proximity, you should have no trouble with any of your solutions. As long as you adjust the speaker to present directly at the main LP, you're ears should center the audio to the screen.

(And pardon the Boss Of All Things Christmas adornments. redface.gif

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-17-2013, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

No matter where you put it, within reason, the sound will seem to be coming from the middle of the screen, because your eyes are telling you so. Whenever both visual and audio direction cues are present visual trumps audio.

+1

Also applies to the vertical and front-to-back positions of the speakers. This is significant because very few of us have acoustically transparent video screens. Unlike horseshoes, close counts.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-17-2013, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! To be sure, is there a need to angle the speaker up and to the side so it aims at the sweet spot? Or this would be great but is not necessary?
post #8 of 8 Old 09-17-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolnewbie View Post

To be sure, is there a need to angle the speaker up and to the side so it aims at the sweet spot?
It won't hurt, as high frequencies are very directional, so you'll hear them better. They'll still seem to be coming from the screen.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page