Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Budget: Trying to stay under 1k
Goal: 3.1 system which can be grown over time
Use: 99% Movies/TV
Room: Family Room, 11x21 with large 8' opening to kitchen

Reciever: Marantz 1604

L/R: http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Bookshelf-Speakers
Center: http://www.htd.com/Products/flat-panel-speakers/flat-panel-speaker
Sub: http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/sb-1000#.UjhMhMbkslk

I like the front-ports of the HTD as the speakers will be close to the wall and possibly (center at least) in a cabinet at some point.

The major need for us is center channel seperation, it's really REALLY hard to hear dialog in movies..even lord of the rings when the sound track kicks up in volume is very muddy.

Any thoughts on this build? I'm upgrading from a first generation Vizio sound bar...so I kind of assume it would be hard to find a solution worse than that ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-17-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Good choice on HTD, they make great speakers. However if you are spending $1000 for 3.1, why not go with the Level Three speakers instead? You can get the Level Three booksheves and center for $500. The ribbon tweeter would be a nice upgrade, and if you decide to keep the Level Two, then you need to get the matching Level Two center.

The SB-1000 is a great sub, however if you have the space, the PB-1000 would give you more output and help fill your room better.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #3 of 13 Old 09-17-2013, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

That's almost exactly the debate I've been having with myself. I think the TV will be wall mounted just above a console, so it would be possible to put the center on the console...but the Level3 Center (and even the Level2) are very big and boxy. Also, the console will only be about 6' long, I'm going to have to fit the L/R either on the ends or on stands very very close to the ends due to the opening to the Kitchen. I'm not sure about separation...granted the distance from the speakers to the listening positions is only about 7-8'. Do you think having the Level3's that close together with their amm...umph, is going to pose a problem?

On the sub, I really didn't think I would need that much. We aren't volume listeners, but let me take another look as I understand that the total "space" in the open first floor is MUCH more than just my listening area...and that will have an impact on the sub.

Thanks for your thoughts!
post #4 of 13 Old 09-17-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybio View Post

That's almost exactly the debate I've been having with myself. I think the TV will be wall mounted just above a console, so it would be possible to put the center on the console...but the Level3 Center (and even the Level2) are very big and boxy. Also, the console will only be about 6' long, I'm going to have to fit the L/R either on the ends or on stands very very close to the ends due to the opening to the Kitchen. I'm not sure about separation...granted the distance from the speakers to the listening positions is only about 7-8'. Do you think having the Level3's that close together with their amm...umph, is going to pose a problem?

On the sub, I really didn't think I would need that much. We aren't volume listeners, but let me take another look as I understand that the total "space" in the open first floor is MUCH more than just my listening area...and that will have an impact on the sub.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Well that center speaker you originally mentioned is wider than either of the other centers, but I do not think you will have an issue. If you are only sitting 8' away, then you won't need as wide a sound stage. I think the Level 3s on stands on either side of the console, with the center sitting on top would work well.

And yes the sub does see an entire volume so you would probably get better performance from the PB-1000. That said, both subs are excellent choices and if you want something more compact, the SB-1000 is your best bet.

Living Room

Computer
post #5 of 13 Old 09-17-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Interestingly enough, the HTD people are recommending 3x Flat Panel Speakers for L/C/R. Two mounted either side of the TV and one under it.

I really really like the concept as it would be very clean, and we in the house are not really audiophiles and are more concerned with clarity then volume (thus the 1604). So it's making me second guess things a bit wink.gif.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-17-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interestingly enough, the HTD people are recommending 3x Flat Panel Speakers for L/C/R. Two mounted either side of the TV and one under it.

I really really like the concept as it would be very clean, and we in the house are not really audiophiles and are more concerned with clarity then volume (thus the 1604). So it's making me second guess things a bit wink.gif.

That would work fine, the main thing is consistency.

Living Room

Computer
post #7 of 13 Old 09-17-2013, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Should I worry that the Flat Panel speakers go down to 80Hz, but the subs all start picking up in the 20-30Hz range?
post #8 of 13 Old 09-17-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Should I worry that the Flat Panel speakers go down to 80Hz, but the subs all start picking up in the 20-30Hz range?

Your receiver has Audyssey MultEQ, so when you run that it will set an appropriate crossover for each speaker. That sub is very good and is flat all the way up to 200Hz, meaning it will have no problem picking up where your speakers drop off. A typical crossover is 80Hz, your speakers may be crossed at 100, but regardless it will sound great with that sub.
cel4145 likes this.

Living Room

Computer
post #9 of 13 Old 09-17-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 331
Quote:

You just want to make sure if you can that the speakers have a -3db point of 80hz or lower and that the subs can cover from 80hz and down. 80hz is generally used because sounds below 80hz are hard to localize. This means the sound does not have to come from the same source (speakers) and can be positioned at the best location in the room. Pretty much all consumer subs can play to 80hz and higher. It is the lower end and SPL that you look at with subs. So in other words, just worry about the speakers going to 80hz.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #10 of 13 Old 09-18-2013, 07:41 AM

Liked: 14
Tybio, you mentioned clarity of dialog in movies: well, I've recently joined the ranks of Magnepan owners, and clarity is their specialty.
You can jump in fairly reasonably with their lower-end stuff. They make planar speakers - no box, just a frame to hold the speaker diaphragm.

They actually have a few options for center channel. They have typical center-channel speakers which you would place above or below your screen, but they also have wall-mounted speakers that mount on either side of your TV to create an excellent audio image for the center channel.

You can read up on the MMG line at www.magnepan.com. There are links for MMG, MMG C, & MMG W on the main page so you can read up on them.

I currently have an MMG-C (center channel), and an older model that's similar to the MMG main speakers.
The wall-mount version is the MMG-W, which can be used as either left & right channels, as a dual-speaker center channel, flanking your TV/screen, and as surround speakers.

The MMG line is available direct from the factory, as Magnepan dealers often don't carry the entry-level line.

Typical setup would be MMG for L/R, MMG C for center channel, and MMG W for surrounds,(but many choose to use MMG W for surrounds and center channel, and some opt for MMG W for L/R also, but you would need a subwoofer or DWM bass panel, as the W & C speakers only go down to 100 Hz, while the full-sized MMG goes to 50 Hz.

Magnepan does clarity really well.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-18-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:

I have the SB-1000, but I would get the PB-1000 for your room and usage if you have room for it. Better to have the extra max SPL (volume) than to come up short.

The other advantage of the PB-1000 is that it has better lower frequency extension. So you'll get a little more bass impact from some movie special effects.

post #12 of 13 Old 09-18-2013, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I have the SB-1000, but I would get the PB-1000 for your room and usage if you have room for it. Better to have the extra max SPL (volume) than to come up short.

The other advantage of the PB-1000 is that it has better lower frequency extension. So you'll get a little more bass impact from some movie special effects.

I faced the same decision a few years ago with their older models (SB12 Plus vs. PB-10). I ended up being able to fit in the larger ported sub and I really enjoy the lower reach and am glad I made that decision.

post #13 of 13 Old 09-18-2013, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I also have an SB1000 and am needing to buy another sub to fill a relatively big room. I love my SB1000 but if I could do it all over again, I'd get the PB.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page