Comparison of Veritas V6.3 and RC-70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-17-2013, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a pair RC-70 to replace the RTI A7s about year ago. It is very hard to find a matching RC-LCR, so I bought a VERITAS V5.2c. It is sounds crisp compared to the RTI A6 and RC-70s. Impressed by the V5.2c, I was longing for VERITAS v6.3. Two weeks ago, Futureshop have sale at $800+Tax each. I grabbed a pair.

The initial comparison is very disappointed. The VERITAS sounds thin, edgy. The RC-70 sounds full, enveloping and balanced.

After two weeks break-in, the speaker has little improvement, but not much, particular at bass side. So I performed an accelerated “break-in” – playing the 30hz – 50hz test tone continuously for 8 hours at 85DB. That improves the bass a lot. Now the base sounds defined, punchy and extended.

The two sounds very differently. In general, the VERITAS sounds clearer and clean than the RCs. The base is better too after break-in. But it lacks the warmth and subtleness of the RCs. The Sibilant is more pronounced in VERITAS.

My impression of the VERITAS is more like a shining aluminum: bright, no color. The RC is more like copper: heavy and colored. Both has there its own character and attractive points.

To help people understand my impression, I record two clips of music. You can find it at here.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97096445/EnergySpeaker/female-vocal.flac
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97096445/EnergySpeaker/male-vocal.flac

I also measured the response of the speakers with REW. You can found frequency response curve at here. Green is the VERITAS, Blue is RC-70 and Purple is VERITAS with Audyssey.

I am tore between the two speakers. The VERITAS cost double of the RC70s. The VERITAS sounds just marginally better than the RC-70s. I have to decide if I keep the VERITAS by this weekend. Your opinion is appreciated.

Here is my setup: Sony Blue Ray Player, Onkyo NR818 and a pair of R70 and a Pair of VERITAS v6.3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-17-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 353
I'm not quite sure how our opinion can change your decision. You've tested the speakers in your own environment and know the pros and cons of each. That's the best way to test and make a decision on speakers.

Keep the pair you like best and sell the other pair or use them as surrounds.

By looking at the photo with bare walls and hardwood floor some rugs and sound treatments might help tame the brightness of the V6.3.

Afro GT
post #3 of 5 Old 09-17-2013, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Afro: you last point is the type of input I am looking for. smile.gif
post #4 of 5 Old 09-17-2013, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 77
That is a lot of money for what you think is only marginally better. I guess it depends how much that is worth to you. Sorry, I know that's not much help lol.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-17-2013, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Send me the VERITAS Ill keep then biggrin.gif I enjoyed both setups for a year , I had both VERITAS and RC complete 7.1 set ups, after a year with both setup I decided to keep the VERITAS and sell the RC.

The VERITAS 6.3 are a improvement.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy Rc 70 Floorstanding Speaker Black Ash Veneer , Energy V 6 3 Tower Speaker Single 3 Way Veritas Series Floorstanding Speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page