140 hz xover? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-18-2013, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I use an m-audio lx4 2.1 setup at my computer with a native instruments audio interface. The m-audio is a 8" sub that houses a 5 channel amp. It goes 1/4" trs from interface to sub. You run speaker wires from the sub to the passive 4" monitors. There is a built-in 140 hz non-adjustable x-over so the sats will never see below that. I was thinking of replacing the 4"monitor sats for something different. The 2.1 system was a steal, got it back in 2006 and it was discontinued shortly thereafter. It retailed for $299 but got it price matched by musicians friend w/ free shipping for $199. The sub is amazing for nearfield music. It's clearly the star of the show. The sats have mylar tweets and sound pretty good, but starting to get harsh to me. My question is, should i be buying a bookshelf based on the 140 hz x-over or just pick something i like? Cambridge s30 or maybe ascend 170's come to mind. Or am i wasting my money on a 6" driver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-18-2013, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just looking at the manual for the M-Audio LX4 and noticed that the speakers are very efficient at 105 dB @ 1 m. And the amp is rated at 27 watts per channel, but without any qualifying specifications. I'd guess that it's 27 watts at 1 kHz at 10% THD+N. It might be closer to just 2 watts at 1 kHz at 0.01% THD+N.

Can't see any harm in hooking up a more conventional bookshelf speaker. But new bookshelf speakers will be capable of about 90 dB @ 1m / 1 watt. You will lose about 15 dB of efficiency and lack the amplifier power to make it up.

As for the 140 Hz crossover, you will not really benefit much from the larger woofer in the bookshelf speaker. But you might prefer the sound of the bookshelf speakers. You'll have to give it a try to see if it's worth while.

Theatre: Sony 46" LCD panel, Sony DBP-S550 Blu-ray, Yamaha RX-V2065 receiver,

Polk Audio Monitor 70 (L&R), CS10 (centre), M10 (surrounds), dual Velodyne VDR-12 subs

CKUA Radio since 1927 from Edmonton, Alberta - Supported by Listeners

post #3 of 3 Old 09-18-2013, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok, I'm impressed you looked that up, lol. I was going to post a link but its a pdf so its just easier to google it. I saw that 105db and thought no way. Isn't that rarified territory? Not familiar with mylar tweeters. Are they that efficient? I'm a klipsch guy so I'm no stranger to volume, but I'd say the 4" sats play very loud. I was worried about the 27 watts, but it's nearfield and many here say 60w is enough for a whole freaking room.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page