Focal and accessories4less.com - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 09-19-2013, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the market for some new speakers and Focal is one of the brands I'm looking at. While doing some research, I came across accessories4less.com. They seem to have prices that are too good to be true on some Focal tower and center channel speakers.

I called Audio Plus Services and verified that they are an authorized dealer. I'm interested in the Focal Chorus 727V towers (supposed to be the same as 726V) and CC701 center channel (same as CC700) that are listed as "new/factory sealed" on the accessories4less.com website. Most of their other products seem to be factory refurbs or open box items (including other speaker brands).

While they seem to be legitimate and say they are selling selling "new" Focal speakers, I cannot help but wonder how they can sell them for such a low price. I realize these speakers have been replaced by a newer 700 series of speakers (basically new cabinet), but I wouldn't have expected such a large discount even on a discontinued item.

Has anyone bought a set of Focal speakers (727V and CC701 in particular) from accessories4less.com? Were there any cosmetic issues/defects or problems otherwise?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-19-2013, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by soy segundo View Post

I'm in the market for some new speakers and Focal is one of the brands I'm looking at. While doing some research, I came across accessories4less.com. They seem to have prices that are too good to be true on some Focal tower and center channel speakers.

I called Audio Plus Services and verified that they are an authorized dealer. I'm interested in the Focal Chorus 727V towers (supposed to be the same as 726V) and CC701 center channel (same as CC700) that are listed as "new/factory sealed" on the accessories4less.com website. Most of their other products seem to be factory refurbs or open box items (including other speaker brands).

While they seem to be legitimate and say they are selling selling "new" Focal speakers, I cannot help but wonder how they can sell them for such a low price. I realize these speakers have been replaced by a newer 700 series of speakers (basically new cabinet), but I wouldn't have expected such a large discount even on a discontinued item.

Has anyone bought a set of Focal speakers (727V and CC701 in particular) from accessories4less.com? Were there any cosmetic issues/defects or problems otherwise?

Thanks.
I have not bought Focal from acc4less I have bought other equipment from them and have never even seen a finger print, looks new and works like it, and I Highly recommend them. Also very fast shipping.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-19-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 379
If they're sold as new and are factory authorized, which you have already verified then you have nothing to worry about.

I've purchased other items from AC4Less without a hitch.

AC4Less sells new and refurb items. Depends on which mfr you're looking at.

All the Focal speakers are new as well as Mordaunt Short speakers.

Afro GT
post #4 of 14 Old 09-19-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 379
MusicDirect.com also sells Focal speakers.
Quote:
I realize these speakers have been replaced by a newer 700 series of speakers (basically new cabinet), but I wouldn't have expected such a large discount even on a discontinued item.

They have the CC700 for $40 less than the CC701 price at AC4Less.
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-4927-focal-chorus-cc700v-center-speaker.aspx

Afro GT
post #5 of 14 Old 09-20-2013, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

MusicDirect.com also sells Focal speakers.
They have the CC700 for $40 less than the CC701 price at AC4Less.
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-4927-focal-chorus-cc700v-center-speaker.aspx

Thanks Afro GT! I had been to the MusicDirect website, but somehow I missed that they sold the CC700. I'll definitely keep this in mind if I go with the Focals. Thanks again.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-21-2013, 09:34 AM

Liked: 11
Yes, I bought the 727V from a4less about a month ago. Exceptional deal. They arrived in sealed boxes, with no blemishes at all. They've broken in now and I love their detail. Most reviews say that they understate their bass extension, and I agree. In talking to the dealer, he said that they bought a large quantity from a defunct dealer....the part number was made expressly for that dealer, but they are the 726v with no changes whatsoever. I registered them with Focal on line; they assigned a 2 year warranty. They are a bit refined; best for vocals, jazz, classical, pop. They highs can be a tad shrill at very high volumes (over 100db), but I don't listen to music that way so it doesn't affect me. I rate them 4 stars for music, 5 for theater. Hearing music I'm very familiar with at 176 LCPM, I hear things I've never heard before. The midrange driver is the star of the show, IMO. I've checked the price history on these guys, and they were as high as $2500 per pair as recently as Feb. 2013 -- this is a ridiculous buy. They actually lowered the price to $800 right after I bought them, then back up to $850. Get them now, before they run out! I bought at $900 plus sales tax (I live in FL), and would do so again in a minute.
jcwhammie likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-21-2013, 05:31 PM

Liked: 20
I also bought speakers from A4L (although not Focal). Speakers were new, looked and performed as such. Fast shipping too
post #8 of 14 Old 12-21-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
A4L buys in bulk from places going out of business, places clearing out inventory or places that are discontinuing models. They get a good deal when they buy out someone's whole inventory, they can then turn around and sell it all off for much less than retail. Tons of forum members have purchased from them with no issues.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-22-2013, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post

Tons of forum members have purchased from them with no issues.
Crossing the line into hype with that statement.

Previous thread, note the resellerratings link. Another thread. Seems like the primary issue is with refurb receivers and the payment of return shipping.

As noted in those threads, "not everyone will have same experience" and "Buying a refurb is rolling the dice."

Presumably with new passive speakers the chances of an issue are low.

More discussion:

https://www.google.com/#q=problem+accessories4less+site:avsforum.com

post #10 of 14 Old 12-22-2013, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ Obviously, with any seller anywhere, online or brick and mortar, people will have issues. I was simply speaking from my rounds on the forums, that I had pretty much heard positive. He could go buy from Best Buy and have some catastrophic problem too, but most experiences are satisfactory.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-22-2013, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post

^^^ Obviously, with any seller anywhere, online or brick and mortar, people will have issues. I was simply speaking from my rounds on the forums, that I had pretty much heard positive. He could go buy from Best Buy and have some catastrophic problem too, but most experiences are satisfactory.
Your statement says what it says, that's all that's obvious.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-22-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

It's also pretty obvious that you just want to argue to argue. So that's where I'll take my leave, have a nice day.

To the OP, go ahead and order your speakers, you'll be just fine.

Quote:
post #13 of 14 Old 12-22-2013, 09:41 AM

The midrange driver is the star of the show, IMO. I've checked the price history on these guys, and they were as high as $2500 per pair as recently as Feb. 2013 -- this is a ridiculous buy. They actually lowered the price to $800 right after I bought them, then back up to $850. Get them now, before they run out! I bought at $900 plus sales tax, and would do so again in a minute.

fFSB

post #14 of 14 Old 12-22-2013, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I read somewhere that Accessories For Less bought up all of the stock from Tweeter/Hi-Fi Buys when they went under in 2008. Tweeter had made a special order from Focal so that they would have different model numbers so customers couldn't cross price check Tweeter's Focals with other venders' Focals.

1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Emotiva XDA-2 > Emotiva Control Freak > Crown XLS2000 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000
2: Computer > Parasound Zdac > Emotiva Control Freak > Acurus A150 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page