Can 7.1 surround be done here? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-19-2013, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a family room which measures 10' x 18'. I currently have Bose Acoustimass 1500 speakers for 5.1 surround but recently purchased a set of 5 Klipsch 6502 in-walls to replace them as well as a Klipsch 5802 in-wall subwoofer. The LR speakers will be moved to the back wall and the center channel will be moved underneath the TV. My question is can I purchase two additional 6502's to upgrade to 7.1? I would build a bump out underneath the window on the left and then mirrored on the opposite wall. Is this too low for the additional speakers? The rear surround speakers are about two feet behind the couch angled toward the sitting position. Don't want to waste the money on these additional speakers if the room is too small or the placement isn't what it should be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by runkle28 View Post

I have a family room which measures 10' x 18'. I currently have Bose Acoustimass 1500 speakers for 5.1 surround but recently purchased a set of 5 Klipsch 6502 in-walls to replace them as well as a Klipsch 5802 in-wall subwoofer. The LR speakers will be moved to the back wall and the center channel will be moved underneath the TV. My question is can I purchase two additional 6502's to upgrade to 7.1? I would build a bump out underneath the window on the left and then mirrored on the opposite wall. Is this too low for the additional speakers? The rear surround speakers are about two feet behind the couch angled toward the sitting position. Don't want to waste the money on these additional speakers if the room is too small or the placement isn't what it should be.

Check out the Dolby Digital website for the correct 7.1 speaker placement. The rear surrounds should be behind you on the wall, they won't do any good on the sides of the room by the window and right wall.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Old 09-20-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 475
What AVR are you using?

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
Old 09-20-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by runkle28 View Post

You can make 7.1 work.... However remember that even if you just do 5.1 there are NO rear speakers. 5.1 is the front 3 and the 2 (side) surrounds and a subwoofer. A standard 7.1 setup adds rear surround speakers to the 5.1 setup.

Technically I would say yes that is too low for your side surrounds, But I guess if you could angle the speakers up it could work. If possible I would recommend going higher like above the window and angle the speakers down. Some ppl say have the surround speakers tweeters at seated ear level, some say 2 to 3 feet above. I have my surrounds mounted with the top of the speakers only 2" down from the ceiling with an 8' ceiling. I like the way my setup sounds in my room.
runkle28 likes this.

Shawn
Old 09-20-2013, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys! To clarify, I have the "rear surround" speakers mounted on the two side walls approximately eighteen inches behind the couch and angled towards the center of the couch where my wife and I sit. You can't see them in this picture but they're there. They cannot be moved any further back or they'd be in the kitchen.

My AVR is a Pioneer Elite VSX94TXH

So if I understand correctly, my desire to add the two additional speakers for 7.1 surround would not work. I wanted the LCR speakers on the back wall, the rear surrounds to stay were they are (on the side walls 18 inches or so behind the couch, angled toward the sitting position), and then the additional two speakers for 7.1 to be underneath the window and on the opposite wall where my daughters toys sit. According to the Dolby site, those two additional speakers would be too far forward. I cannot have any speakers behind the couch because the family room is open concept and flows right into the kitchen.

Based on the parameters of the room and the requirements of 7.1, it looks like I am limited to 5.1. Thoughts?
Old 09-20-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Can you put in-ceiling speakers in the kitchen? If so, then you can do a 7.1 layout with meaningful separation between your side speakers and rear speakers (i.e., you'll clearly be able to hear left vs right vs back directionality in the surround field).

Sanjay
Old 09-20-2013, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

I cannot put any speakers in the kitchen ceiling. Several years ago I installed an expensive tin ceiling and I am not going to cut into those panels. Prior to putting those tin panels up, however, I installed a header to separate the ceiling in the kitchen from the ceiling in the family room. Prior to that it was one big ceiling, approximately thirty six feet long and ten feet wide. I would be willing to install the rear surround speakers in that header but I was under the impression the speakers need to be at ear level. I could move the side surround speakers to the current spot occupied by the rear surrounds and then move the rear surrounds up into the ceiling header. But wouldn't it sound weird if the sound was coming from up above?
Old 09-20-2013, 10:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
I prefer surround speakers (sides or rears) to be a couple of feet above ear level. That bit of elevation turns the ring of sound around you into more of a bubble of sound. I know very few people that have their surrounds at or near ear level.

If the header is only a couple of feet (or less) behind the listening position, then don't bother with 7.1 (sounds that were intended to come from behind you will instead come from above). But if the header is around 5 feet behind you, then go for it.

If you do end up sticking with a 5.1-speaker layout, then I would place the surrounds at the "back corners" of the room (i.e., right before the kitchen) and mount them at least a couple feet above ear level.
runkle28 likes this.

Sanjay