Reccomend a good center for this setup please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-20-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Over last holiday i was on a huge budget and wanted to piece together a 7.1 surround sound setup for a small room so i bought the Polk Audio Blackstone TL1900 home theater speaker system listed here - ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Polk+Audio+-+Blackstone+5.1-Channel+Home+Theater+Speaker+System/6236508.p?id=1218721356196&skuid=6236508&sellerId= ) and than i bought some sony tower speakers ad my two front speakers and used the polk as my center side and rear surrounds. I find myself looking for some better sound on a budget now. Id like to upgrade my center bc i notice i dont get such loud dialouge from it and find it hard at times to hear voices. Can somebody help me out and give some advice? - ty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-20-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 383
What receiver do you have? A problem you are facing is a mismatched front sound stage. You need to have at the very least timbre matched left, center, and right speakers. What I would recommend is upgrading the front three right now, and keeping the Polks as your surrounds. If you like the Polk sound, their Monitor speakers on Newegg are good performers and go on sale often. The Pioneer BS22 is in my opinion the best budget speaker right now. A pair of those and a C22 center would make a world of difference for you.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #3 of 8 Old 09-20-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

I picked up a onkyo 616 receiver and for my fronts im running the Sony SSF-7000 Floor-Standing 4-way Speaker with 8" Woofer ( http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SSF-7000-Floor-Standing-Speaker-Woofer/dp/B000OG4E2U ) , nothing special , so i think i am prob mismatched already bc i have those sonys as my fronts and the polk satalites i listed above the polk TL1900's as my center , rears and side speakers. So i am totally unmatched im guessing lol.This was a huge budget set up for me to get me started and it does sound allot better than my htib i had before it but i just want to upgrade my center to something that ill notice allot more than the polk tl1900 center and im possibly thinking of grabbing two pioneer andrew jones floorstanding speakers on black friday and swapping them with the sonys upfront and putting the sonys in the rear this holiday. but for now i really wanna upgrade that center if you or anyone can help . - ty

** also looking at the pioneer c22 center doesnt seem of much of a upgrade from the polk tL1900 center i am using now ?
post #4 of 8 Old 09-20-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassedu View Post

Over last holiday i was on a huge budget and wanted to piece together a 7.1 surround sound setup for a small room so i bought the Polk Audio Blackstone TL1900 home theater speaker system listed here - ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Polk+Audio+-+Blackstone+5.1-Channel+Home+Theater+Speaker+System/6236508.p?id=1218721356196&skuid=6236508&sellerId= ) and than i bought some sony tower speakers ad my two front speakers and used the polk as my center side and rear surrounds. I find myself looking for some better sound on a budget now. Id like to upgrade my center bc i notice i dont get such loud dialouge from it and find it hard at times to hear voices. Can somebody help me out and give some advice? - ty

If your AVR has some kind of an automated system optimization facility such as Audyssey, MCACC or YPAO you might be able to get better performance out of your admittedly mismatched speakers by using it. It's automatic, set up the mic where you sit, activate an option in your AVR's menus, and it pretty well runs itself.

Edit: you do - Audyssey 2EQ Please see page En-22 in your user manual which you can download from:

http://us.onkyo.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR616&class=Receiver&source=prodClass

If you don't, have you tried turning up the volume for your center channel speaker in the same set of menus for your AVR?

Edit: please see Page En 54 for more information about this feature.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-20-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

yes i have done the audyssey already and it helped a lil bit and put my center volume up a notch or two but im still looking for better sounds. Would a bigger center speaker achieve this ? maybe ill just try the andrew jones pioneer center the woofers i believe are twice the size 5'' compared to mine being at 2.5''
post #6 of 8 Old 09-20-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 383
The Polk center is a sateliite speaker, so it has its limitations. Moving up to something like the Pioneer C22 would be a big upgrade, despite it not matching your Sony towers. I would say get the Pioneer center, and then if you go and get the towers during black friday, you will have a matching front sound stage. Your surrounds don't need to match, so the Polks will do a fine job as your rears and surrounds.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #7 of 8 Old 09-20-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassedu View Post

yes i have done the audyssey already and it helped a lil bit and put my center volume up a notch or two but im still looking for better sounds. Would a bigger center speaker achieve this ? maybe ill just try the andrew jones pioneer center the woofers i believe are twice the size 5'' compared to mine being at 2.5''

Yes, the Andrew Jones Pioneer center C22 would be a step forward if you are remaining in the land of mismatched speakers. You might try throwing more load on the center to improve the sound from the front overall.

Then you could get the L&R speakers to go with them (several choices) and a good sub...
post #8 of 8 Old 09-20-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone i am going to take your advice and upgrade to the pioneer center and than ill grab the front matching pioneers when the price is right and have a matching sound stage , i appreciate all your help here .
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page