Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-20-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hi All

I'm looking for a 1-in, 2-out speaker switch for use with my buttkicker. Ideally it should be controlled via RS232, IR or IP remote, as all my gear is in the basement

I just bought the LFE bundle (http://www.thebuttkicker.com/lfe-kit.php) and extra LFE transducer. One will be installed in my chair and one in the sofa. I want to find a way to selectively turn each one on/off and adjust individual intensity.

Buttkicker does have a switch, but it still requires the amp to be turned off prior to changing the load and has no individual intensity control. Moreover, you then have to adjust the levels every time you change the number of transducers. Really lame for $150.

So how can I take a speaker lever input and split it between 2 transducers and adjust the level of each. I'd like something that does not require the amp to be turned off first (accident waiting to happen), so I guess I need something that takes a speaker input signal, presents a constant load to the amp and allows me to enable/disable each output and ideally adjust the level.

These are the specs for the amp: http://www.thebuttkicker.com/bka1000-n.php

Any thoughts?

Regards

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-20-2013, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Cheapest and easiest solution is to find the least expensive receiver with pre-outs.

Depending on what frequency cut-offs you are using for your current sub, You could use the sub-out from any receiver.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-22-2013, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

Cheapest and easiest solution is to find the least expensive receiver with pre-outs.

Depending on what frequency cut-offs you are using for your current sub, You could use the sub-out from any receiver.

Not sure how that would help. I have no problem driving it with Buttkicker amp, my problem is selective switching of the two transducers
post #4 of 10 Old 09-22-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Nevermind, you don't understand, and you didn't ask any questions about why I suggested it in the first place.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-22-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nevermind, you don't understand, and you didn't ask any questions about why I suggested it in the first place.

So you can't explain why you suggested it?
post #6 of 10 Old 09-22-2013, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I don't know for sure if this is what he was getting at, but you use a cheap receiver as a preamp, and use its balance control to send the signal to each buttkicker if it has preouts...if not you could put it inline with just one of the buttkickers and so you could control it separately from the main output (but using this method the signals will not be fully independent). You should have no problem finding a $20 receiver or preamp on craigslist or a flea market.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-22-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post

So you can't explain why you suggested it?

You can't ask?

But no need, Audiophile2k explained it.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-23-2013, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile2k View Post

I don't know for sure if this is what he was getting at, but you use a cheap receiver as a preamp, and use its balance control to send the signal to each buttkicker if it has preouts...if not you could put it inline with just one of the buttkickers and so you could control it separately from the main output (but using this method the signals will not be fully independent). You should have no problem finding a $20 receiver or preamp on craigslist or a flea market.

Thanks Audiopphile2k

Still puzzled how it would work. If I understand this correctly, I split the LFE from my main receiver: 1 to sub and one to input on 2nd receiver, and then use the left right/speaker outputs to go to each transducer?

I can't use pre-outs as I only have a single amp that can deliver 1000w to each transducer. The LFE requires a minimum of 400 watts and we recommend a maximum of 1500 watts. Looks like I'd need to buy a separate amp for this to work
post #9 of 10 Old 09-23-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

What is your main receiver? If it has main pre-outs, Then you can feed that to the second receiver and then use the LFE output to the buttkicker amp.

I have not tried to use an LFE output to a regular input on a receiver before, so don't know if it will work. That's why I stated pre-outs before.
Crank the volume on the buttkicker amp and use the receiver for the volume.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-23-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

What is your main receiver? If it has main pre-outs, Then you can feed that to the second receiver and then use the LFE output to the buttkicker amp.

I have not tried to use an LFE output to a regular input on a receiver before, so don't know if it will work. That's why I stated pre-outs before.
Crank the volume on the buttkicker amp and use the receiver for the volume.

its' a 4311CI. It does have pre-outs AFAIK
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page