Best speakers for a 80 square meter room (below 1000 uk pounds) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 09-20-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
paramio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I am a newbie looking to acquire an av receiver (opened a thread in receiver subforum) + 5.1 speakers to be installed in a huge 80 squae meter room (870 square feet).
As a reference, ceilings are high and would average 3m high (it is a dormer window with max 5m in the middle and lowest of 2m at the front and back)

I was looking at the Onkyo 616 and 626 as receivers and was wondering which speaker bundle (5 speakers + subwoofer) should I buy with enough power for such a room (I dont know if the key component for power are speakers or receiver)

I was aiming to spend c. 1000 pounds in receiver + speakers but will spend more if necessary to have a good sound quality.

Many thanks,

Pablo
paramio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 41 Old 09-21-2013, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
smasher50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: right behind you
Posts: 1,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 940
fwiw, where do you live? that's a pretty large room to fill with good sound and a small budget. I would opt for a 2.1 system and expand when funds are available. I would also look into putting your money into a good sub or (subs) and less on the electronics (avr). imo look into higher efficient speakers to help fill that size room with sound.

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
smasher50 is offline  
post #3 of 41 Old 09-21-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,246
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Look at speakers with high sensitivity ratings. Definitely over 90db, and even higher than 90db would be better.

Then for that size room, you really need a large 15" sub at the very least, which is costly. Subs see the whole room, and even a powerful 15" sub will be challenged in that size space. Unless you can locate the sub a few feet from where you sit, the bass will not be very impactful.

cel4145 is offline  
post #4 of 41 Old 09-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Senior Member
 
NAIM101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramio View Post

Hi,

I am a newbie looking to acquire an av receiver (opened a thread in receiver subforum) + 5.1 speakers to be installed in a huge 80 squae meter room (870 square feet).
As a reference, ceilings are high and would average 3m high (it is a dormer window with max 5m in the middle and lowest of 2m at the front and back)

I was looking at the Onkyo 616 and 626 as receivers and was wondering which speaker bundle (5 speakers + subwoofer) should I buy with enough power for such a room (I dont know if the key component for power are speakers or receiver)

I was aiming to spend c. 1000 pounds in receiver + speakers but will spend more if necessary to have a good sound quality.

Many thanks,

Pablo


Your really asking too much for a $1.000 budget to fill your space. That's not even enough for a single subwoofer to fill your space.

I would suggest investing a lttle more. Like $5,000 more for a room fillling good sound.
NAIM101 is offline  
post #5 of 41 Old 09-22-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
paramio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

fwiw, where do you live? that's a pretty large room to fill with good sound and a small budget. I would opt for a 2.1 system and expand when funds are available. I would also look into putting your money into a good sub or (subs) and less on the electronics (avr). imo look into higher efficient speakers to help fill that size room with sound.

Thanks for the advice

Room is mostly empty (pictures and bookshelves) and not carpeted (does this affect a lot?)

I was hoping to spend 1500$ but can go up if necessary.

wOULD AN oNKYO nr616 + 4 BW 686 + 1 HTM-62 + 1 ASW-608 (b&w speakers + sub) work decently for this room?

I am really not looking for high playing volume but for clean audio (maybe I should work on the room aoustics as well)
paramio is offline  
post #6 of 41 Old 09-22-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
smasher50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: right behind you
Posts: 1,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 940
fwiw, yes some throw rugs on floors and walls would help a lot to help with sound reflections. room acoustics is probably the most important overlooked aspect in how good your room will sound. as for why I asked where you lived ( obviously not in north America) is to get some ideas in your part of the world the best options for members here to recommend a nice system in your budget without spending most of it on shipping costs and other tax duties. as for the b&w system you mentioned imo could be bettered as the bookshelves are only 84 db sensitive (in you size concert hall I would look at something 90db or greater.)and that 8" sub will do you no justice in that size room a waste of money imo.and as for the onkyo avr don't know how much it goes for where you live. imo with that kind of budget I would look at refurbished or open box or discounted last years models(look for models with room correction for ex. *audyssey* this will help give you best sound from speaker and sub placement) to save on whats more important your speakers and sub.

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
smasher50 is offline  
post #7 of 41 Old 09-22-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,246
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 643
^^ Agreed.

90db (or more) sensitivity would help for that size room.

And an 8" sub? We'll you'd have to sit on it or be 2 or 3 feet away for it to be of any use. For a sub, I would recommend contacting BK about one of their subs or SVS Sound (they have UK distributors) about what sub would be best for your room and use.

cel4145 is offline  
post #8 of 41 Old 09-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Senior Member
 
NAIM101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramio View Post

Thanks for the advice

Room is mostly empty (pictures and bookshelves) and not carpeted (does this affect a lot?)

I was hoping to spend 1500$ but can go up if necessary.

wOULD AN oNKYO nr616 + 4 BW 686 + 1 HTM-62 + 1 ASW-608 (b&w speakers + sub) work decently for this room?

I am really not looking for high playing volume but for clean audio (maybe I should work on the room aoustics as well)


Google GIK Acoustics. Get the combo #1 for around $550. Treat your first reflection points. Your room is about 25% of the chain.

Its always Speaker first, then your room, then your amps/preamps/dacs/cables etc.
NAIM101 is offline  
post #9 of 41 Old 09-22-2013, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
paramio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Many thanks to all.
I am from Spain but can buy any equipment in the UK if needed.

How can I check the db sensitivity? Any sub + speakers above 90db that you would recommend?

Also, what are the first reflection points?

Many thanks again
paramio is offline  
post #10 of 41 Old 09-22-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,246
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramio View Post

How can I check the db sensitivity? Any sub + speakers above 90db that you would recommend?

Most manufacturers list sensitivity specs for their products. Some are a little more optimistic than others, but still a good place to start.

cel4145 is offline  
post #11 of 41 Old 09-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Senior Member
 
NAIM101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramio View Post

Many thanks to all.
I am from Spain but can buy any equipment in the UK if needed.

How can I check the db sensitivity? Any sub + speakers above 90db that you would recommend?

Also, what are the first reflection points?

Many thanks again



Dude, you really have no options with $1,000 budget for 5.1 system in that space. If you spend about $2000 -$3,000 more alot of members would be able to help you out more prabably.
NAIM101 is offline  
post #12 of 41 Old 09-22-2013, 10:40 PM
 
wadia 9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Woodlands Tx
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIM101 View Post

Your really asking too much for a $1.000 budget to fill your space. That's not even enough for a single subwoofer to fill your space.
I think I would have to disagree look at PBS alpha series they are a great bang for your buck. And they make great subs as well
I would suggest investing a lttle more. Like $5,000 more for a room fillling good sound.
wadia 9 is offline  
post #13 of 41 Old 09-22-2013, 10:46 PM
 
wadia 9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Woodlands Tx
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You do not have to spend 5 k to fill that space that is crazy do some research hsu makes great stuff. Money is not the way to audio nirvana. If everybody had to spend 5 k to get good sound audio would not exist especially this forum. I'm sorry that's the worse advice if ever heard your emplying money equates to enjoying our hobby NOT TRUE AND BAD ADVICE!!!
wadia 9 is offline  
post #14 of 41 Old 09-22-2013, 10:49 PM
 
wadia 9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Woodlands Tx
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIM101 View Post

Dude, you really have no options with $1,000 budget for 5.1 system in that space. If you spend about $2000 -$3,000 more alot of members would be able to help you out more prabably.
Really? What is your system?
wadia 9 is offline  
post #15 of 41 Old 09-22-2013, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GIEGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadia 9 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIM101 View Post

Dude, you really have no options with $1,000 budget for 5.1 system in that space. If you spend about $2000 -$3,000 more alot of members would be able to help you out more prabably.
Really? What is your system?

Now this will be good... wink.gif
GIEGAR is online now  
post #16 of 41 Old 09-23-2013, 12:02 AM
Senior Member
 
NAIM101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
System for my room.

Room dimension is 13 x 14 x 10.

GIK Acoustics room treatment combo #1.


PS Audio Power conditioner -> Marantz as transport -> Monarchy DIP Upsampler -> Eximus DP-1 DAC -> Job 225 Amp -> Vapor Cirrus Black w/ Amor RAAL upgrade

Gonna run it with custom VH Audio interconnects and cables.
NAIM101 is offline  
post #17 of 41 Old 09-23-2013, 12:08 AM
Senior Member
 
NAIM101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadia 9 View Post

You do not have to spend 5 k to fill that space that is crazy do some research hsu makes great stuff. Money is not the way to audio nirvana. If everybody had to spend 5 k to get good sound audio would not exist especially this forum. I'm sorry that's the worse advice if ever heard your emplying money equates to enjoying our hobby NOT TRUE AND BAD ADVICE!!!

You really think HSU speakers will give you "good" sound? LOL.
NAIM101 is offline  
post #18 of 41 Old 09-23-2013, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GIEGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 337
^^ So just to be absolutely crystal clear - as of today, do you actually have that system set up and playing in your room? Yes or no.
GIEGAR is online now  
post #19 of 41 Old 09-23-2013, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
paramio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIM101 View Post

Dude, you really have no options with $1,000 budget for 5.1 system in that space. If you spend about $2000 -$3,000 more alot of members would be able to help you out more prabably.

What would you recommend at around c. 2000$?
paramio is offline  
post #20 of 41 Old 09-23-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
smasher50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: right behind you
Posts: 1,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 940
fwiw, I would look at the monitor audio bx series speakers in your budget. seen the bx5's for 500 uk dollars; the bx2's for 249 uk.d and the bx center for 149 uk.d. also seen the denon avr x1000 for 314uk.d just don't know what shipping costs to where you live would total and since svs sounds has overseas retailers I would maybe look into a svs pb12-nsd sub just a recommendation

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
smasher50 is offline  
post #21 of 41 Old 09-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Senior Member
 
NAIM101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramio View Post

What would you recommend at around c. 2000$?


Without a doubt go for 5.0 Tekton M-Lore system. Prabably will be the best thing to fill your space.
NAIM101 is offline  
post #22 of 41 Old 09-23-2013, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
wlhungdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Jonesborough, TN
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIM101 View Post

You really think HSU speakers will give you "good" sound? LOL.

ummmm... yes. smile.gif

...what a long, strange trip its been.
wlhungdude is offline  
post #23 of 41 Old 09-24-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
paramio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

fwiw, I would look at the monitor audio bx series speakers in your budget. seen the bx5's for 500 uk dollars; the bx2's for 249 uk.d and the bx center for 149 uk.d. also seen the denon avr x1000 for 314uk.d just don't know what shipping costs to where you live would total and since svs sounds has overseas retailers I would maybe look into a svs pb12-nsd sub just a recommendation

Many thanks.
The full Monitor audio bx series you suggested (over 90db) costs me just above 1000 euros so great for my budget and have read great reviews about them.

The problem comes with the svs pb12-nsd sub, which costs another 1100 euros here in Spain.

Any other sub model you would recommend?

I am really going to buy what you recommend me here as retailers here in Spain cannot be trusted, most of them didnt even know what db efficiency was when I asked them...
paramio is offline  
post #24 of 41 Old 09-24-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
paramio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIM101 View Post

Without a doubt go for 5.0 Tekton M-Lore system. Prabably will be the best thing to fill your space.

Have just read great things about these speakers but they dont ship / dont have a distributor here in Spain...

Thanks anyway
paramio is offline  
post #25 of 41 Old 09-24-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
smasher50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: right behind you
Posts: 1,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 940
fwiw, just quickly looking whats available in Europe I would also look at the svs sb12 nsd $549 amazon uk or the bk monolith plus $549 from bk subwoofers direct

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
smasher50 is offline  
post #26 of 41 Old 09-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Senior Member
 
NAIM101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
SVS 12 is okay but just to be safe I'd go for the Hsu VTF-15H.

Don't try to get everything at once. First just go with 2.1. Then gradually add the center and the sorrounds.
NAIM101 is offline  
post #27 of 41 Old 09-24-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
smasher50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: right behind you
Posts: 1,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 940
dude pleaseeeee, the op lives in spain . hsu does not have any retailers in Europe and they don't ship outside north America and if they did it would cost $400 to ship there. so please stop trying to get attention with your ridiculous responses. everyone in these forums can see right through you and what your trying to do

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
smasher50 is offline  
post #28 of 41 Old 09-24-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,246
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramio View Post

The problem comes with the svs pb12-nsd sub, which costs another 1100 euros here in Spain.

Any other sub model you would recommend?

We are kind of spoiled here in the US by the Internet direct subwoofer vendors we have. The closed thing to them that I know about in the EU is BK Subwoofers direct in the UK: http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers.htm The Monolith DF did well in some subwoofer measurement tests I have seen.

I have no idea what they would charge to ship to Spain.

cel4145 is offline  
post #29 of 41 Old 09-24-2013, 06:45 PM
Senior Member
 
NAIM101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

dude pleaseeeee, the op lives in spain . hsu does not have any retailers in Europe and they don't ship outside north America and if they did it would cost $400 to ship there. so please stop trying to get attention with your ridiculous responses. everyone in these forums can see right through you and what your trying to do


Oops. Completely forgot about your location. My apologies. If thats the case, then you really have no option then go with the above recommendation BUT get a 15 incher just to be safe.


LOL. I will say this once. I am not that guy SearchofSub.
NAIM101 is offline  
post #30 of 41 Old 09-24-2013, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
smasher50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: right behind you
Posts: 1,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIM101 View Post

Oops. Completely forgot about your location. My apologies. If thats the case, then you really have no option then go with the above recommendation BUT get a 15 incher just to be safe.


LOL. I will say this once. I am not that guy SearchofSub.
iwill say this once. you are that guy searchof sub

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
smasher50 is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr616
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off