Upgrading an old System - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-21-2013, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It has been a while since I purchased some of the speakers in my home theater system, so I was wondering if I should invest in some new ones.

I currently have 7.1 setup with an Athena WS-60 for my center, 4 Sony SS-MF400H for the Front Left/Right and Surround Left/Right, 2 Athena WS-15 for the Back Left/Right and a Klipsche RW 12d for the sub. The receiver is a Pioneer VSX-92TXH in a roughly 14x14 room.

I would be looking for something mid-range like the Athena's used to be. I assume that puts me at spending around 200 to 400 per speaker. As such, is it worth upgrading, and if so, what should I be looking at?

For a nice added twist, my wife hates the size of the Sony's so something smaller and still quality wouldn't hurt (again like the Athenas used to be).

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-26-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been scouring the forum for some more info on what I should do without much results.

Any suggestions on what I should do here?

I am using the setup for 50/50 movie/video games usage. I am mainly looking for middle of the road speakers, which looking at other posts, puts me at ~$500 per pair I think.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-26-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by volitan83 View Post

I've been scouring the forum for some more info on what I should do without much results.

Any suggestions on what I should do here?

I am using the setup for 50/50 movie/video games usage. I am mainly looking for middle of the road speakers, which looking at other posts, puts me at ~$500 per pair I think.

Changing depends on you and taste - there are better options than the Athena's and Sony

Look at HSU
http://www.hsuresearch.com/speakers.html

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid2pkg.html

Look at Focal
http://www.musicdirect.com/search.aspx?searchterm=focal%20chorus

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/brand/focal/results/1.html

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #4 of 5 Old 09-26-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
A pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers costs $350. I suggest that you buy four of those for $700 plus a matching Wharfedale 10CC center speaker for around $200.

These will sound way way better than the Sony speakers.The improvement will be huge and dramatic. I suggest that you read the Stereophile review of them at their website.

Not only are the 10.1 speakers MUCH better-sounding than the Sony speakers, having the center speaker matched to the others also will be a major improvement.

Set this up as a 5.1 system and I think you will love it. You can try adding 2 of the other speakers later and see if that really adds anything.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-26-2013, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 71
The andrew jones designed pioneer speakers have a lot of high end engineering for a great price.

The next clear step up from them that I can think of are kef q100s at accessoriesforless. Kefdirect sometimes had them on sale too. I really can't stress enough what great value they are.

Theater room: Sony VPL HW30ES, DIY 100" screen with Seymour Centerstage XD, 5 Revel M105, 2 JBL Studio 210, 4 SVS SB12-NSD, Anthem MRX-300
Living room: Panasonic TC-P60VT60, 3 KEF LS50, Pioneer SW-8, Marantz NR1603
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page