Forum Jump: 

Old 09-21-2013, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
IVB
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm looking to upgrade my home theater speakers, the primary brand i'm familiar with is Polk. But it seems in the entire SF Bay Area, there are no local dealers. Well, Frys carrys exactly one decent one, but its the RTI 12, which is freaking huge and way overkill for my needs. I was hoping for the A7-based set. I've got a small-ish Living/Dining room (12' wide, 25' long but the primary seating is 13' back from the TV and I'll mount the surrounds just behind the couch there)

I've currently got wallmount Vienna Acoustic Weberns F/L/C, and Polk dipole surrounds so really not even remotely similar. They worked great for my prior room but they just don't work in this new location.

Do I just buy blind and hope (scary), or change brands to whatever Magnolia/BestBuy has in stock (mediocre Klipsch or DefTech) and get something that I can't easily listen to in the store? I'll get mid-price range speakers, ideally ~$500/each or so. I just bought a Marantz SR5008 so it'll only drive 100wpc (at 8 Ohms), so the A12 seems too much. (Plus I have a Hsu STF-2, so I can offload LFE to that).

------------------------------------
I'm on Google Plus a lot more than online forums now, contact me there if you want something.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
You won't find Polk on any dealers floors as Circuit City destroyed the brand when Polk made them dealers. Almost every b&m dealer dropped Polk.

Polk are available online in many places. Many have return policies so...
Old 09-21-2013, 10:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB View Post

I'm looking to upgrade my home theater speakers, the primary brand i'm familiar with is Polk. But it seems in the entire SF Bay Area, there are no local dealers. Well, Frys carrys exactly one decent one, but its the RTI 12, which is freaking huge and way overkill for my needs. I was hoping for the A7-based set. I've got a small-ish Living/Dining room (12' wide, 25' long but the primary seating is 13' back from the TV and I'll mount the surrounds just behind the couch there)

I've currently got wallmount Vienna Acoustic Weberns F/L/C, and Polk dipole surrounds so really not even remotely similar. They worked great for my prior room but they just don't work in this new location.

Do I just buy blind and hope (scary), or change brands to whatever Magnolia/BestBuy has in stock (mediocre Klipsch or DefTech) and get something that I can't easily listen to in the store? I'll get mid-price range speakers, ideally ~$500/each or so. I just bought a Marantz SR5008 so it'll only drive 100wpc (at 8 Ohms), so the A12 seems too much. (Plus I have a Hsu STF-2, so I can offload LFE to that).

Pretty sure Fry's carried the RTiA5 and A7. I know they carry the RTiA1 and A3 so they should carry the towers too. Yep, they do.

http://www.frys.com/product/5429179?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://www.frys.com/product/5429169?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://www.frys.com/product/5428819?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://www.frys.com/product/5403299?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Afro GT
Old 09-22-2013, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter
IVB
AVS Special Member

Oh right, I always forget about Frys as its out in Concord, thanks.

They don't have the upper levels in stock in NorCal, but they do have some of the nicer Klipsch ones (ie RF82). I might try the whole horn-loaded tweeter to see if my tastes have changed.

I personally am not wild about buying speakers online without listening to them first. Hopefully Fys has something that'll work for me.

I'm on Google Plus a lot more than online forums now, contact me there if you want something.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
IVB
AVS Special Member

Hey thanks again for the Frys reminder. Turns out they were having a HUGE sale on RC62's, they were $400/each (vs $550), plus the RS52's were on sale. I ended up picking up 2 RC62's, 2 R52's, and an RC52 for $1720. I only did perhaps 3 minutes of demo'ing in the store, but the sound was great, was quite fine with the horn-loaded tweeters.