New Home Theatre with very limited choices - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 09-22-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Yaser101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I've been researching for a long time and my target was supposed yo be more glamorous but that will mean waiting longer than I want to so I decided to start with something a little more humble.

I am looking to set a semi mild home theater system in a 4*6 room. Mainly for movies and TV and to a lesser degree gaming. No Music needs whatsoever. I don't want a loud banging system as I am living in a rental now and my landlord lives downstairs. My main aim is sound clarity and surround without much boom effect.

Now i'm not going to bore you with another "what's the best..." so and so. My choices are extremely narrow actually due to my geographical location. It's almost like asking for reassurance rather than making a choice. I would appreciate any advice, but please keep in mind that i'm pretty uneducated in this field.

On with the choices:


AV Receiver choices:

  • Onkyo TX-NR 414 (I'm leaning towards this one) Price: 220 GBP
  • Onkyo TX-NR 525 Price: 286 GBP
  • Onkyo TX-NR 626 Price: 352 GBP



Central Channel Speakers:

  • Polk Audio Center Speaker CS10 Price: 77 GBP
  • Polk Audio CSI A6 Price: 143 GBP



Front Speakers:

  • Polk Audio Speakers RTIA1 (Pair) Price: 132 GBP
  • Marantz LS502/E1B BookShelf Speakers (Pair) Price: 88 GBP



Surround:

Only one choice sadly and that is: Polk Audio Fxi-A6 Price: 198 GBP


Subwoofer:

None. I don't intend of using one at least til I get out of here.


If any combination of these choice wouldn't make a decent system, I do have a choice of some speaker packages (sets) but my "noob" hunch tells me the above choices are a bit more decent smile.gif But if anyone feels these are not worth it, I can post more information about the sets.


Please advice if you can. Thank you in advance.
Yaser101 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 Old 09-22-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,857
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 58
4x6 feet? Why not just use headphones?
Valtyr likes this.
Tedd is online now  
post #3 of 26 Old 09-22-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bladerunner6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

4x6 feet? Why not just use headphones?

I think he means meters.
bladerunner6 is offline  
post #4 of 26 Old 09-22-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,857
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Had to ask... He appears to be in England with the pound pricing.
Tedd is online now  
post #5 of 26 Old 09-22-2013, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Yaser101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No I'm actually in Kuwait. But I thought if I post prices in KD no one would find it relevant so I did some extra effort and converted.

And yes we're all metrics here. I should have specified.
Yaser101 is offline  
post #6 of 26 Old 09-22-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 2,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 309
No brainer here

Onkyo TNR 626 AVR (if must have an Onko )

Polk Audio Speakers RTIA1 (Pair) Price: 132 GBP (frt L/R)

Polk Audio CSI A6 Price: 143 GBP (center)

Polk Audio Fxi-A6 Price: 198 GBP (surrounds )

No Sub woofer??

if that is a stretch (budget wise )
skip the center and surrounds altogther (for now)

Get the Polk Audio CSI A6 Price: 143 GBP (frt pr)
and an inexpensive sub woofer and run a nice 2.1
system for now it will ultimately be better.than smaller speakers without a Sub
especially for Music . It's all about moving air in the end and you aren't going to move much air with the
Polk Audio CSI A6 and no sub .

Another alternative is the Polk Audio CSI A6 (frt pr)
WITH an inexpensive SUB also for decent budget 2.1
then later get the bigger polks put them in frt. ,put these as surrounds
and get a center channel the Polk Audio CSI A6 then you have went from 2.1 to 5.1
nothing wrong with a decent 2.1 though.


Trust me you DO NOT want to skimp on the center channel it is very important in 5.1/7.1
get a good one or none at all and just go 2.1 otherwise dialog (voice) will always be a major problem

Know this , A good 2.1 or even 2.0 system is better than a crappy 5.1 system
7 days a week!

OTOH considering your living arrangement maybe the 2.1 is a better option with either of the polk speakers just don't put the sub in a corner .
or just get 4 of the smaller polks No SUB and the bigger center .

Aslo a nice HTIB is another option in your situation some just fine for movies


I m going to suggest another option I've heard these and for movies they are very good not so great on music but they do movies well
especially dialog (voice) bass is good but not overwhelming probably the best solution for*your situation* and within your budget as well .also they are self powered and do not require a AV receiver. just plug your optical out from TV or BD/DVD into the bose They simulate surround sound pretty good . Bose has patented technology for that and that is something(psycho acoustics ) they are good at .
thats why their sound systems are in many expensive cars . I would definitly consider them especially in multiple unit dwelling. or not they do movies surprisingly good
and also the video games


I've owned some Bose stuff admittedly some of their stuff is expensive but besides what the naysayers say, they get the job done.
long as you are not doing loud music or critical listening
(.ofc unless if you are talking 901's those can get beyond stupid loud) you can play music on Cinemate II though just not as good as *decent separates these would be more than adequate in 4m x 6m space
Bose CineMate Series II
you can always resell Bose for plenty of Kuwait Dinars also.

Note if you need 3 optical inputs PS3/Xbox +TV and + BD/ DVD
just get an Optical Audio Toslink Bi-Directional Switch

Don't forget a thumbs up if this has been helpful for you!

You can only help those that want to be helped and leave the rest alone !
Yaser101 likes this.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
tubetwister is online now  
post #7 of 26 Old 09-22-2013, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Yaser101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you so much Tubetwister, very helpful and informative. Just a couple of questions if I may.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

No brainer here

Onkyo TNR 626 AVR (if must have an Onko )

Polk Audio Speakers RTIA1 (Pair) Price: 132 GBP (frt L/R)

Polk Audio CSI A6 Price: 143 GBP (center)

Polk Audio Fxi-A6 Price: 198 GBP (surrounds )

No Sub woofer??

if that is a stretch (budget wise )
skip the center and surrounds altogther (for now)

It would be ok (budgetwise) if I stick to the Onkyo 414. What benefits do I get with the 626 over than 414 other than wireless networking? I can save for another month and get the 626 probably but do you think the difference is worth it?

Quote:
Get the Polk Audio CSI A6 Price: 143 GBP (frt pr)
and an inexpensive sub woofer and run a nice 2.1
system for now it will ultimately be better.than smaller speakers without a Sub
especially for Music . It's all about moving air in the end and you aren't going to move much air with the
Polk Audio CSI A6 and no sub .

Another alternative is the Polk Audio CSI A6 (frt pr)
WITH an inexpensive SUB also for decent budget 2.1
then later get the bigger polks put them in frt. ,put these as surrounds
and get a center channel the Polk Audio CSI A6 then you have went from 2.1 to 5.1
nothing wrong with a decent 2.1 though.


Trust me you DO NOT want to skimp on the center channel it is very important in 5.1/7.1
get a good one or none at all and just go 2.1 otherwise dialog (voice) will always be a major problem

Know this , A good 2.1 or even 2.0 system is better than a crappy 5.1 system
7 days a week!

If you feel that not having a sub would ruin the experience drastically, I can save some more and get one. My target was to avoid causing loud boom noises and I thought not having a sub would keep things more in control. Am I wrong?

If I decide to get a sub, I do have access to one of these:

  • Polk Audio PSWI225 Wireless Powered Subwoofer 8-inch
  • Polk Audio DSWPRO 550wi 10 inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
  • Polk Audio Subwoofer DSWPRO660Wi 12 Inch-1000W
  • Creative ZII SOUND DSX Wireless Subwoofer

The Polks are all priced more or less similar. The Creative is priced less.


Quote:
Aslo a nice HTIB is another option in your situation some just fine for movies

The do have some to sell, Mostly Onkyo, Philips and LG ... I checked reviews for them, nothing spectacular.. Maybe some of the Onkyos but they're not very cheap. For some reason, I thought the Polks would be better quality.


Quote:
I m going to suggest another option I've heard these and for movies they are very good not so great on music but they do movies well
especially dialog (voice) bass is good but not overwhelming probably the best solution for*your situation* and within your budget as well .also they are self powered and do not require a AV receiver. just plug your optical out from TV or BD/DVD into the bose They simulate surround sound pretty good . Bose has patented technology for that and that is something(psycho acoustics ) they are good at .
thats why their sound systems are in many expensive cars . I would definitly consider them especially in multiple unit dwelling. or not they do movies surprisingly good
and also the video games


I've owned some Bose stuff admittedly some of their stuff is expensive but besides what the naysayers say, they get the job done.
long as you are not doing loud music or critical listening
(.ofc unless if you are talking 901's those can get beyond stupid loud) you can play music on Cinemate II though just not as good as *decent separates these would be more than adequate in 4m x 6m space
Bose CineMate Series II
you can always resell Bose for plenty of Kuwait Dinars also.

The only Bose I found in this store is this: Bose Solo TV Sound System . Priced at around 274 GBP. Bose products tend to be over priced over here.

Based on your advice, I think i'll start with a 2.1 and slowly add to it as budget allows. If you can help me with the Sub choices above, I would be grateful. Thanks again!
Yaser101 is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old 09-23-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 2,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaser101 View Post

Thank you so much Tubetwister, very helpful and informative. Just a couple of questions if I may.
It would be ok (budgetwise) if I stick to the Onkyo 414. What benefits do I get with the 626 over than 414 other than wireless networking? I can save for another month and get the 626 probably but do you think the difference is worth it?
If you feel that not having a sub would ruin the experience drastically, I can save some more and get one. My target was to avoid causing loud boom noises and I thought not having a sub would keep things more in control. Am I wrong? long as you don't crank the sub up to high should be ok Im , thinking this 10" polk
less expensive http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107PSW110B/Polk-Audio-PSW110-Black.html


If I decide to get a sub, I do have access to one of these:
  • Polk Audio PSWI225 Wireless Powered Subwoofer 8-inch
  • Polk Audio DSWPRO 550wi 10 inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
  • Polk Audio Subwoofer DSWPRO660Wi 12 Inch-1000W
  • Creative ZII SOUND DSX Wireless Subwoofer

The Polks are all priced more or less similar. The Creative is priced less.
The do have some to sell, Mostly Onkyo, Philips and LG ... I checked reviews for them, nothing spectacular.. Maybe some of the Onkyos but they're not very cheap. For some reason, I thought the Polks would be better quality.
The only Bose I found in this store is this: Bose Solo TV Sound System . Priced at around 274 GBP. Bose products tend to be over priced over here.Based on your advice, I think i'll start with a 2.1 and slowly add to it as budget allows. If you can help me with the Sub choices above, I would be grateful. Thanks again!



As for the Onkyo AVR the 414 is 80wpc and the 626 is 95wpc not an audiable difference *if* all other things are equall.

The advantages are the 626 is going to have a more robust power suppy and be able to provide higher instantaneous power for transients thats particularly important with high resolution surround movie sound tracks because they have a lot of dynamic range like between quiet and a sudden explosion that will swing the amp pretty good
movies are a litle more demanding of an amplifier inthat respect. but at reasonable listening levels either one will work fine you in fact *may* not be able to hear a difference . which front speakers were you thinking about and size of screen and viewing distance ?


The wireless networking is anotheradvantage of the 626 but if you don't plan to have a music service or local hdd storage or iTunes it's no big deal. you can run optical 5.1 and or wired ethernet or just optical and HDMI

Just in case you want to reconsider the Bose 2.1 thing I think its a very good set up for TV movies in a smaller space here is the Bose distributer in Kuait they can probably get you an Bose CineMate Series II or get one to your local Bose retailer Bose will accomodate you for sure thier customer service is some of the best.
http://global.bose.com/countries/kuwait.html

Honestly I think a 500watt $500.00 sub is maybe a lot for that space I was thinking more like $200.00 -$300.00 and

I was thinking maybe this polk sub its the same series as your speakers http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107PSW110B/Polk-Audio-PSW110-Black.html




Th 8 or 10" polk would be my choices in that space the 12" might be boomy. I like 10 best because later if you move to a bigger space the 10 will still be good 10's have nice well defined not flabby bass.

the 8" polk wouldbe fine in your space though
you could always add another 8 or 10" in the future
if you get a bigger spot and feel like you need to

You don't want to hear a sub just the bass and not be able to tell where it's from ,a well placed sub should dissapear into the room.if it does not it is either cranked up to high not placed right or the crossover freq is to high or it is not really a sub .lots of posers out there in the budget space . Polk should be good though.

.

I have 2 def tech 10's in the studio they blend in nice and are not booomy you can not tell where the bass comes from most misbehaving sound is from about 100hz maybe 200 to 500hz
the advantages of distributed bass 2 or more subs
on opposite ends is they nullify room nodes and smooth out the overall room response but that's another discussion

I like theb 10 in your applicationalso as long as you don't crank it to much that is until your neighbor is not home biggrin.gif


for that size room you can use a 8 no problem


with a 2.1 you could use the smaller or bigger polks
in frt. just depends on how loud you want to be.

here is a tip for placing the sub don't automaticallly put it in front. every room is different

probably set your crossover to 80hz or so
place the sub where you will normally sit move the sofa ,chair or whatecever if you gave to

play some music with some bass crawl around the room until
yoy hear the best bass ofc close to walls.

That's where you will want to put the sub then when you return to your normal seating it will revrse and sound
good you can do the same thing with an electronic sound db meter but you dont't need to old school way works .

You will hear bass better further away from the sub a 30hz sound wave for exampe is ~30 ft long it is possible
and usuall that another room or even the floor above or below can hear it louder than you can in your room happans all the time.maybe you better get the 8" the 8 won't be getting down to 30hz much at least not loudly .actually the 10 will be fine if you dint crank it then whe your downstairs person is not home you can crank it and have some fun biggrin.gif. I would get one of the Polks
.

.
Yaser101 likes this.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
tubetwister is online now  
post #9 of 26 Old 09-23-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Yaser101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Some awesome advice there Tubetwister! VERY educational!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post


which front speakers were you thinking about and size of screen and viewing distance ?

.

My TV is an old full HD Sony LCD 42" . It's not top of the line.. but decent. Will most likely be upgraded when I move. Viewing distance is 2-3 meters.

I found out that the Polk Audio RTi A9 Floor Standing speakers are available for around 441 USD. Now these babies look really good to me but I think in my current situation it's probably an overkill even if I save enough for them.

Would I get away with using a pair of the A6 as fronts regardless of being marketed as "Center" ? and would that be better than going 3.1 with the A6 in center and a pair of A1 as fronts? or even three A6 in a 3.1?

I was thinking that if I go with two A6 in 2.1 I might end up with an extra A6 later when I add to the set .


I can't find the Polk sub you referenced. Availability is a hug issue over here. I think i'll go with the 10" sub as the price difference isn't really much.

Thanks again!
Yaser101 is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old 09-23-2013, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Yaser101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post


Just in case you want to reconsider the Bose 2.1 thing I think its a very good set up for TV movies in a smaller space here is the Bose distributer in Kuait they can probably get you an Bose CineMate Series II or get one to your local Bose retailer Bose will accomodate you for sure thier customer service is some of the best.
http://global.bose.com/countries/kuwait.html


.

I just gave them a call. They sell the CineMate Series II for a whopping 270 KD eek.gif That's about 952 USD! That's more than double the price on Amazon.com Ouch!

Out of curiousity, I asked about the Bose Solo Sound System. They sell it for 125 KD. That's about 440 USD. But the guy was friendly and advised me to go for something more capable.
Yaser101 is offline  
post #11 of 26 Old 09-23-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 2,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaser101 View Post

I just gave them a call. They sell the CineMate Series II for a whopping 270 KD eek.gif That's about 952 USD! That's more than double the price on Amazon.com Ouch!

Out of curiousity, I asked about the Bose Solo Sound System. They sell it for 125 KD. That's about 440 USD. But the guy was friendly and advised me to go for something more capable.

I wonder why they are so expensive there they must think everybody there is rich maybe? or is it retail mark up or middle man distribution mark up ?
Wow $900.00 that pretty stiff I wouldn't go there there either they are not worth 900.00 or even $700.00 maybe a little over$400.00 that's about it ! some on E bay US for about $299-$450.00 USD do you have local ebay? Plenty of new in box on e bay ofc only bose csn give you 5 yyr warranty but if it is new and not old maybe the seller can provide that depending if they are authorised
Other thing is the Bose are self powered no need for AVR receiver just saying. .


another one new in box $299.00
that would be the one if you were inclined to use ebay. I'm curious do you have Amazon there without to much additional expense ?

Here are some e bay rules quoted from an ebay seller , seems like you can use ebay and buy from anywhere
Quote:
you can bid on goods in other countries," and "you pay for them just as you would for any auction." The answers are this simple for two reasons:

If you are shopping on your home country's eBay site, eBay will show in search results only those items that you are eligible to buy according to the seller's terms. This means that if you see an item in your search results, the seller in question is willing to accept payments from you and ship across borders to you.


During payment, PayPal automatically performs currency conversions to or from multiple currencies as appropriate, automatically for both parties.

Caveats
The apparent simplicity of the answers above is complicated by a few factors, amongst them the following:

Mis listing. Some sellers may incorrectly fill out the item listing form, telling eBay that they're willing to ship to your home country when in fact in the actual listing they state that they do not. For this reason it's important to read the listing carefully to ensure that they don't exclude you as a buyer.


Shipping costs. Pay attention to shipping costs very carefully when you bid or buy internationally, since they can be extremely high for international shipments. Remember that you'll be expected to pay them, no matter what they are, should you win the item.


Transaction and currency conversion fees. PayPal charges a 2.5 percent exchange rate premium for currency conversions, in addition to assessing higher cross-border payment fees for international sellers. Since many credit cards also automatically do currency conversions for you, you may want to check to see whether or not you can get a better deal from your bank or credit card provider if the seller is able to accept payments directly rather than through PayPal.


In any event a Polk /Onkyo 2.1 or 5.1 will be very good as well . Both of the Onkyo receiver have good reviews and will work much better for music than the Bose .
so depends on your preferences . what did you think about PSB 10 sub hopefully if it is available it is reasonable should you decide on that one

More Options Maybe better all around than above for your intended use if you can get them.

two of these for front maybe

Pioneer SP-FS51-LR Floorstanding Speakers Pair
and this sub Pioneer SW-8-K 100W Powered Subwoofer
this center
Pioneer SP-C22 Andrew Jones Designed Center Channel
Speaker

or this center more affordable center they compare well. Pioneer SP-C21 Center Channel Speaker


And these surrounds or you could use as fronts
with a sub or without to start
or maybe afford to go 3.1 with Pioneer
and still have deceny sound mayb better than the Bose?

Pioneer SP-BS41-LR 2 CH Bookshelf Loudspeakers Pair

review of pioneer 5.1 system


[B]For areasonable price system these Pioneers or
the Polks with an inexpensive Sub. OR you could use one or two of the Pioneer subs with the Polks or the Pioneers for less than one polk sub .
two of these Pioneer subs on opposite end of room
will give you unexpensive distributed bass you won't have to crank up more in balance with the rest of the speakers we have discussed.
it does not make sense to put a $400.00 + sub in the mix at this point anyway.

You don't always have to spend a ton to get decnt in a room that size.that's what is cool about it.
Monoprice 5.1 speaker
Almost forgot about these deal of the centurty even if you have to pay origional price of $280.00
might be better than the Bose .these and the onkyo and you have instant 5.1
Monoprice 108247 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker System,


Excellent smooth sound accurate front studio speakers with larger 22cm speaker + dome tweeter
Behringer TRUTH B2031P Ultra-Linear Reference Studio Monitor Pair good for music also not expensive also not boomy or colored but accurate will give you room filling sound
well made and durable . they aslo blend in well with subs I have two of these in the studio for near field monitors they compare well to speakers that cost much more I also have some Yamaha NS 10 pro monitors for midfield monitors these compare favorably to them.
also have another pair of NS 10 for front speakers on HT set up very accurate and uncolored no listener fatigue .


IMO again it does not make sense to put a $400.00 =$500.00 + sub in the mix at this point anyway.Put your Dinars into your main speakes or maybe a mono price or Pioneer speaker system with less expensive sub ..or perhaps two ? (see below You don't always have to spend a ton to get good sound in a room that size.that's what is cool about it. You can mix brads with good results also you don't have to have Polk sub with Polk speakers for instance same with fr vs surround or center mix and match is ok if balanced.
'I have no interest or affiliation with the retailers or resellers mentioned or linked here or anywhere else on AVS
they are provided solely for information purposes only.


Edit in your situation KidHorn below may be (actually he is ) correct about the sub probably bothering your landlord as low frequencies are long wavelength and can propagate in adjacent room and even adjacent buildings much like when you hear a car driving down the street bumping a sub woofer there is some work going on in the studio right now its 5 walls and ~50 60 ft away we only have the nearfields and 2 -10" subs turned on right now and I can clearly hear the bass thumping in here loud and it is not turned up all they are just editing a mix at reasonable level
but the Bass carries If we crank up the big 15" subs you can hear those across the street and down the block we almost never use those though .

I hate to say it but I've never been a Polk fan either they sound hollow and boxy to me that's why I keep putting up IMO better alternatives
especially for your situation just saying. Maybe some (other than Polk decent mains Maybe the Behringers ),the Pioneers or the Bose or Monoprice maybe esp. for mostly movies .
EDIT:
To tell you the truth if the studio was working yesterday and I heard the bass like today I would not have mentioned a sub woofer in your situation at all
beyond maybe what the Bose and Mono price set ups offer

I forget I haven't lived in an apartment since 1980 !

Maybe some (other than Polk ) decent mains
or the Pioneers maybe the bigger ones without a sub
or the bose or mono rice set ups

IMO the best that we have talked about are the
the Behringers. But for surround the Bose cina mate II ( only if you can get one cheap) or the monoprice 5.1.
might work just not that great for music

You cold use the Behringers with a Pioneer center and
Pioneer Pioneer SP-BS41-LR for surrounds
or just go all Pioneer either the bookshelf or towers up front with no sub .

I have to admit the bass from the studio is annoying me I hope they get done in there!

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
tubetwister is online now  
post #12 of 26 Old 09-23-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
KidHorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Derwood, Maryland
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 178
If your primary goal is good sound but not loud, I would get the onkyo 414 and spend the difference between it and the 626 towards speakers. There's no advantage to getting a better receiver.

Don't get a sub, it will bother your landlord.

I personally don't like polk speakers, but it's hard to recommend anything else since I don't know what's available to you.
KidHorn is offline  
post #13 of 26 Old 09-24-2013, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Yaser101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

I wonder why they are so expensive there they must think everybody there is rich maybe? or is it retail mark up or middle man distribution mark up ?
Wow $900.00 that pretty stiff I wouldn't go there there either they are not worth 900.00 or even $700.00 maybe a little over$400.00 that's about it ! some on E bay US for about $299-$450.00 USD do you have local ebay?

Lot's of vendors and distributors here tend to overprice some of their products, especially good quality products, i'm honestly not sure why. Even the US Bose online store has it for less. I think it has to do with the regional distributor if there is one and how far or active they are (a lot are in Dubai). Or whether there is none and thus the vendor has to get the goods from the US or the UK. Just a guess.

It is the reason why ordering online here from US or UK stores is popular as the deals people find in US online shops seem unbelievable. In fact some companies have made good business by facilitating shopping online from vendors abroad. Aramex has a very popular mail forwarding service called "Shop&Ship" where they provide you with a US and UK based mail box. I have one my self and I have ordered stuff from Amazon many times. Even some cute kids stuff from Gymboree smile.gif

I don't know if we have a "local" eBay but I am pretty sure I can order from any eBay if the sellers offers international shipping. I got my BS degree from the US and I used to have an active eBay account, But I stopped using eBay when I came back because my US based Paypal became obsolete since my billing address became non US.

I am pretty sure I can get better choices and deals on Amazon, but the thing with ordering online here is that shipping is a huge factor. Anything beyond 2 kilos grams could end up costing more than the item it self. I looked up the Pioneer C22 that you suggested and calculated how much shipping would cost me if I order it from Amazon using my Aramex mail box, and it would cost 145 USD for shipping alone. that amount up can end up rounded to 170 if you throw in customs fee. Keep in mind, that's only to get the shipment from my mail box to my door, not counting the shipping fee that Amazon charges to send it to my box (long live their super saver offers!). It's really not practical as this is only one piece.

Local Kuwait Post service is cheaper but its the worst service on the planet. You'd be just throwing your money away.

Quote:
More Options Maybe better all around than above for your intended use if you can get them.

two of these for front maybe

Pioneer SP-FS51-LR Floorstanding Speakers Pair
and this sub Pioneer SW-8-K 100W Powered Subwoofer
this center
Pioneer SP-C22 Andrew Jones Designed Center Channel
Speaker

or this center more affordable center they compare well. Pioneer SP-C21 Center Channel Speaker


And these surrounds or you could use as fronts
with a sub or without to start
or maybe afford to go 3.1 with Pioneer
and still have deceny sound mayb better than the Bose?

Pioneer SP-BS41-LR 2 CH Bookshelf Loudspeakers Pair

review of pioneer 5.1 system

I think we have a Pioneer distributor i'm just not sure what do they have exactly. I'll have to find it out and drive over my self since they don't have an online service. someone told me that they only do car audio but i'll check them out once I find them. Maybe give them a call. By the way, that Bose distributor is also the distributor for Yamaha.

I did find this http://www.pioneer-mea.com/en/productview.php?proId=509&subId=40&catId=37&m=feature available for 162 USD .. doesn't seem worth it.

Update: I called them and they sell a pair of Pioneer SP-FS52-LR Floorstanding Speakers Pair (52 is the new 51) for 110 KD that's 388 USD! Amazon sells it for 125 USD!

Quote:
Maybe some (other than Polk ) decent mains
or the Pioneers maybe the bigger ones without a sub
or the bose or mono rice set ups

Are Onkyo speaker sets any good? i'm sure they're not in the same league as the ones you mentioned but they're available :/
Yaser101 is offline  
post #14 of 26 Old 09-24-2013, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Yaser101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

If your primary goal is good sound but not loud, I would get the onkyo 414 and spend the difference between it and the 626 towards speakers. There's no advantage to getting a better receiver.

Don't get a sub, it will bother your landlord.

I personally don't like polk speakers, but it's hard to recommend anything else since I don't know what's available to you.

I think i'll follow your advice that Tubetwister concurred with and omit the sub for now.

As for what is available to me... not that much. I can order from this https://www.xcite.com/audio-mp3/home-theatre-systems.html online vendor if you wish to look. If you do, you can see that there isn't a lot of quality in there.

They have the Polks I mentioned and the Onkyos. The rest is either way overpriced or commercial junk.
Yaser101 is offline  
post #15 of 26 Old 09-24-2013, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 2,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Holy @#@ you weren't kidding about high prices prices seems like a dollar ain't worth much there
100.00 KD = 353.29 At least today anyway.eek.gif
Maybe you all need an Arab spring or something over there?
or maybe talk to to the head Emir whats his name ?
Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah ?
about those high prices and all see if he can help you out or maybe
his half brother what's his name ?biggrin.gif

. How's a guy going to get some tunes over there at those prices ?
Tell them you need an audio subsidy or something? eek.gif

OTOH I have not heard any of the exact Polks they have
so at least of what *they have maybe the RIiA9 fronts or even the RTia1 for fronts
and another pr of RTIai for rear and the CSI a6 center ? as and when you can afford them.
I'm assuming these prices are for each and not a pair?

No music just movies and such or a liitle of both?
No Amazon ? Ebay?

Don't feel bad even Best Buy doesen't have much in the way of speakers
in the stores anymore compared to what they used to have mostly the small fry stuff
and the the skinny Polks ..or cheap Sonys, oh yea and the Bose stuff.
Good guys and circuit city are gone now here also
they want us all to have iPods ,iPhones and dr. dre earbuds or headphones now!
everybodys a phone tard or pad tard these days !
can't turn the TV on and someone isn't holding an Iphone or an IPad
it's all about product placement now!
and twitter and fakebook.

Even the Magnolia store there at BB is mostly TV's now
unless you live in Silicon valley,Beverley hills or DC !
nothing like it was back in the day .
lots availiabe from BB and Magnilia on line though
decent stuff is spendy here also .
I would call Obama and complain
but it' hard to catch him in between celebrity gigs
Can't say about the Onkyo's
keep us posted.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
tubetwister is online now  
post #16 of 26 Old 09-24-2013, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Yaser101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Holy @#@ you weren't kidding about high prices prices seems like a dollar ain't worth much there
100.00 KD = 353.29 At least today anyway.eek.gif
Maybe you all need an Arab spring or something over there?
or maybe talk to to the head Emir whats his name ?
Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah ?
about those high prices and all see if he can help you out or maybe
his half brother what's his name ?biggrin.gif

He'll probably just redirect me to my parliament rep unless I do some serious a$$ kissing and get treated with a nice system all expenses paid biggrin.gif

But on a serious note, business owners are a pretty influential group in this country. They do well to protect their fortunes.


Quote:
OTOH I have not heard any of the exact Polks they have
so at least of what *they have maybe the RIiA9 fronts or even the RTia1 for fronts
and another pr of RTIai for rear and the CSI a6 center ? as and when you can afford them.
I'm assuming these prices are for each and not a pair?

I actually called to confirm that and the guy said these prices are indeed for a pair except of course the center pieces. Now if that is true (and it could be not true) that means that a pair of the Polk A9 costs 308 USD LESS than ONE on Amazon. That's pretty amazing. In fact even if that price is for one it is still cheaper than Amazon. Mind baffling.



Quote:
Don't feel bad even Best Buy doesen't have much in the way of speakers
in the stores anymore compared to what they used to have mostly the small fry stuff
and the the skinny Polks ..or cheap Sonys, oh yea and the Bose stuff.
Good guys and circuit city are gone now here also
they want us all to have iPods ,iPhones and dr. dre earbuds or headphones now!
everybodys a phone tard or pad tard these days !
can't turn the TV on and someone isn't holding an Iphone or an IPad
it's all about product placement now!
and twitter and fakebook.

Even the Magnolia store there at BB is mostly TV's now
unless you live in Silicon valley,Beverley hills or DC !
nothing like it was back in the day .
lots availiabe from BB and Magnilia on line though
decent stuff is spendy here also .
I would call Obama and complain
but it' hard to catch him in between celebrity gigs
Can't say about the Onkyo's
keep us posted.


It's not that these kind of shops are taking over, it's that they're becoming distributors too. At least you still have the mother company and its outlets. Over here you're stuck with the distributor and whatever he's offering. And when thatg distgributor happens to be BestBuy "like" it's almost not worth it. I mean look at that xcite shop. He's the one and only distributor for Polk Audio in all of Kuwait and
that's all he's offering. About 4 or 5 speakers and a couple of sets.

I think i'll start considering HTiB as a temporary fix til I get out of here. Xcite has these Onkyos:

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3500-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0077V88V8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380028786&sr=8-1&keywords=onkyo+s3500

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HT-S4505-Channel-Receiver-Speaker-Package/dp/B007YMN306/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380028958&sr=8-1&keywords=Onkyo+HT-S4505

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5500-7-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0077V88ZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380029070&sr=8-1&keywords=Onkyo+HT-S5500

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S9300THX-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B003SE6GIA

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Onkyo-HT-S9405THX-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B005VOVLXU

The first one is the #1 best seller on Amazon. Yay mad.gif
Yaser101 is offline  
post #17 of 26 Old 09-24-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 2,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 309
@ Yaser101

Quote:
He'll probably just redirect me to my parliament rep unless I do some serious a$$ kissing and get treated with a nice system all expenses paid biggrin.gif

But on a serious note, business owners are a pretty influential group in this country. They do well to protect their fortunes.

Sounds just like this place nothing gets done unless the proper wheels are greased or you know someone

I actually called to confirm that and the guy said these prices are indeed for a pair except of course the center pieces. Now if that is true (and it could be not true) that means that a pair of the Polk A9 costs 308 USD LESS than ONE on Amazon. That's pretty amazing. In fact even if that price is for one it is still cheaper than Amazon. Mind baffling.


You sure the Emir and his bro do not actually own Amazon and are maybe just using Jeff Bezos as a front man?

Since that's the case things aren't looking so bad you probably don't need to get with the Emir's people after all as for the Bose they are expensive/overpriced everywhere!
Quote:
It's not that these kind of shops are taking over, it's that they're becoming distributors too. At least you still have the mother company and its outlets. Over here you're stuck with the distributor and whatever he's offering. And when thatg distgributor happens to be BestBuy "like" it's almost not worth it. I mean look at that xcite shop. He's the one and only distributor for Polk Audio in all of Kuwait and
that's all he's offering. About 4 or 5 speakers and a couple of sets.

When best Buy is gone at least Amazon will be left standing Radio Shack isn't good for much anymore! Then only Wall Mart and Target will be left for walk in stores
at least you can pick up some socks and underwear with your stereo......... or maybe some ear plugs later on so you won't have to listen to one of the few dreadful stereo's that might be left by then!
and when they are gone we will have progressed to the 1930's when Sears mail order catalog was the thing only we will be using iPads and smartphones by then instead of paper catalogs nobody will be reading printed paper anymore paper will be relegated mostly to more mundane use like TP and napkins ,kinda like the way it is getting already ofc nobody
nobody will be able to afford a decent PC as they become more scarce!some old ones will be on the black market , only uber expensive Titanium Mac Books will be left by then for the elites and then when they they make the smartphones not so smart anymore we will really be screwed
we will be left with only reality TV and state controlled media ............ mmmm uh oh ! sounds like it's getting that way here already eek.gif







[/QUOTE]

Srsly Actually some of those Onk's aren't looking too bad for the money especially the last three maybe you could get by there and listen to them?
IIRC some of them got some decent reviews might be worth checking out if you get one of the better one's maybe one of the last 3 looks like you get a real receiver in the mix.
might be OK for your situation you can alwayse turn the sub down if you need two or add different frt speakers later if you wan't OTOH maybe give the Polks a listen if you can and see what you think.

cheers!

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
tubetwister is online now  
post #18 of 26 Old 09-24-2013, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
Gandu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I am thinking outside the box here, but do you know any US or UK Military personnel stationed in Kuwait? They will have access to stores on the base that have lots of stereo gear at prices even lower than what is available here in the US.
List of US Military facilities in Kuwait: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/kuwait.htm
Yaser101 likes this.
Gandu is offline  
post #19 of 26 Old 09-24-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 2,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 309
If you are able to get these locally or on line affordably they might work also

You could get this and and decent entry level receiver maybe about ~$300.00 USD or 84.99 KD

Energy - Take Classic 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System with 200W Subwoofer
they are ~$399.00 US at BB or to 113.04 دينار


http://www.energy-speakers.com/home-theater-systems/?sku=TK-CLASSI-5-1


Or you could get these and an entry level reciever
supposed to be equivalent to one's above
for ~$239.00 US or 67.71 دينار

Monoprice Premium 5.1-Ch. Home Theater System with Subwoofer
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=10565&seq=1&format=2
Edited by tubetwister - Today at 3:35 pm



I have no interests or affiliations to any of the of the re sellers or retailers or their affiliates or to
any links or videos mentioned in this or any thread here at AVS they are provided for information purposes only


Don't forget a thumbs up if this has been helpful for you!
Yaser101 likes this.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
tubetwister is online now  
post #20 of 26 Old 09-24-2013, 06:17 PM
Member
 
SubieDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I would avoid Onkyo for now - too many reports of frying HDMI boards. I suppose if you're not using HDMI pass-thru, then it's a non-issue.
Yaser101 likes this.
SubieDriver is offline  
post #21 of 26 Old 09-25-2013, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Yaser101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

@ Yaser101
Sounds just like this place nothing gets done unless the proper wheels are greased or you know someone

I actually called to confirm that and the guy said these prices are indeed for a pair except of course the center pieces. Now if that is true (and it could be not true) that means that a pair of the Polk A9 costs 308 USD LESS than ONE on Amazon. That's pretty amazing. In fact even if that price is for one it is still cheaper than Amazon. Mind baffling.


You sure the Emir and his bro do not actually own Amazon and are maybe just using Jeff Bezos as a front man?

Since that's the case things aren't looking so bad you probably don't need to get with the Emir's people after all as for the Bose they are expensive/overpriced everywhere!

If you ask me i'd guess they're stuck with them and just want to offload them. These shops don't like to keep stock and they try to only offer things that they're sure it will sell hence the limited offerings and commercial junk.


Quote:
When best Buy is gone at least Amazon will be left standing Radio Shack isn't good for much anymore! Then only Wall Mart and Target will be left for walk in stores
at least you can pick up some socks and underwear with your stereo......... or maybe some ear plugs later on so you won't have to listen to one of the few dreadful stereo's that might be left by then!
and when they are gone we will have progressed to the 1930's when Sears mail order catalog was the thing only we will be using iPads and smartphones by then instead of paper catalogs nobody will be reading printed paper anymore paper will be relegated mostly to more mundane use like TP and napkins ,kinda like the way it is getting already ofc nobody
nobody will be able to afford a decent PC as they become more scarce!some old ones will be on the black market , only uber expensive Titanium Mac Books will be left by then for the elites and then when they they make the smartphones not so smart anymore we will really be screwed
we will be left with only reality TV and state controlled media ............ mmmm uh oh ! sounds like it's getting that way here already eek.gif

You should see our Radio Shack.. its a joke... left only to sell low quality plugs, adapters and cables. Walmart always had good deals for underwear... I wonder why they're never sealed in a bag though biggrin.gif

reality tv has been picking up here but not so much as people on reality tv always seem to get inton fights with each other over silly stuff... but what's really invading TVs over here is Turkish Soap Operas of all things... its almost on all the time on some channel.
Yaser101 is offline  
post #22 of 26 Old 09-25-2013, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Yaser101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post

I am thinking outside the box here, but do you know any US or UK Military personnel stationed in Kuwait? They will have access to stores on the base that have lots of stereo gear at prices even lower than what is available here in the US.
List of US Military facilities in Kuwait: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/kuwait.htm

I used to but not anymore. US Military presence has shrunk quite over the last few years. But I do remember once upon a time where people would actually drive over there and bribe someone to get in to access a shopping "paradise" smile.gif Not anymore though.
Yaser101 is offline  
post #23 of 26 Old 09-25-2013, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Yaser101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

If you are able to get these locally or on line affordably they might work also

You could get this and and decent entry level receiver maybe about ~$300.00 USD or 84.99 KD

Energy - Take Classic 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System with 200W Subwoofer
they are ~$399.00 US at BB or to 113.04 دينار


http://www.energy-speakers.com/home-theater-systems/?sku=TK-CLASSI-5-1


Or you could get these and an entry level reciever
supposed to be equivalent to one's above
for ~$239.00 US or 67.71 دينار

Monoprice Premium 5.1-Ch. Home Theater System with Subwoofer
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=10565&seq=1&format=2
Edited by tubetwister - Today at 3:35 pm



I have no interests or affiliations to any of the of the re sellers or retailers or their affiliates or to
any links or videos mentioned in this or any thread here at AVS they are provided for information purposes only


Don't forget a thumbs up if this has been helpful for you!

I gave it a lot of thought and decided that no matter how I go about it, I'll never get the system that I want in place under the current circumstances even if I come up with the money. So I decided to settle for something temporary with as much limited investment as possible until I move out. So

I ordered this Onkyo box https://www.xcite.com/audio-mp3/home-theatre-systems/component-home-theater-systems/onkyo-ht-s4505-b-5-1-channel-home-theatre-system.html

It's the cheapest Onkyo box available and it should be decent based on the reviews. It's supposed to be delivered in a couple of days. Hope it keeps me happy for a while smile.gif
Yaser101 is offline  
post #24 of 26 Old 09-25-2013, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Yaser101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieDriver View Post

I would avoid Onkyo for now - too many reports of frying HDMI boards. I suppose if you're not using HDMI pass-thru, then it's a non-issue.

I read all about that and it seems that i'll be fine if I upgrade the firmware immediately.I did order an Onkyo HTiB.. best value I could find right now. I'll post impressions and most likely questions when I get it.
Yaser101 is offline  
post #25 of 26 Old 09-25-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
KidHorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Derwood, Maryland
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I think you made a good decision. Something sounds a lot better than nothing.
KidHorn is offline  
post #26 of 26 Old 09-25-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 2,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaser101 View Post

I gave it a lot of thought and decided that no matter how I go about it, I'll never get the system that I want in place under the current circumstances even if I come up with the money. So I decided to settle for something temporary with as much limited investment as possible until I move out. So

I ordered this Onkyo box https://www.xcite.com/audio-mp3/home-theatre-systems/component-home-theater-systems/onkyo-ht-s4505-b-5-1-channel-home-theatre-system.html

It's the cheapest Onkyo box available and it should be decent based on the reviews. It's supposed to be delivered in a couple of days. Hope it keeps me happy for a while smile.gif


The Onkyo HTIB's in general get good reviews so must be good reason for that , (good choice for your living space also ) you will like it way better than flat panel TV speakers that's for sure!


let us know how it works out !

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
tubetwister is online now  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off