post #32 of 42 Old 09-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bepauljoseph View Post

I'm planning to go to Dubai on Oct 12th & pick up the speakers from this dealer. http://ced.vvsons.com/products/. They deal only with Audio Speakers like Definitive Technologies, Boston Acoustics, Pure Acoustics, Bose, Triangle. I'm flying from India & its very expensive to pick up the speakers from here. There is a difference of nearly $300-400 on AVR or speakers that all you guys mentioned.

There is a deal going on as well - http://ced.vvsons.com/data/DSS%20Flyer%20Lo-Res.pdf. Could you let me know which set of speakers is worth to go for from the list or let me know a custom 5.1 so that I can check the price/availability/budget for it when I'm in Dubai.

I'm attaching a photo of my room & marking potential speaker spots. I can't have wall brackets but I can buy a stand if it's a bookshelf/satellite.

I appreciate all your comments. Please don't think I've ignored your feedback. It's just that I don't know anything about speakers, type of speakers needed (floor vs bookshelf) or where do even place them. But would like your help on this & hope these images & brands give you an Idea.

Best,
Paul

You really dont need towers. Go for 5.1 with bookshelves + a sub. Two, you really need to save up some cash for a thick rug in front of your T.V.
post #33 of 42 Old 09-28-2013, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The rug
post #34 of 42 Old 09-28-2013, 03:36 PM

Mr bepauljoseph don't worry about the rug go with the bookshelf type speakers out of the brands you mentioned I've owned def tech along time ago it was nice great value for the money. Also Boston is good as well splitting hairs at the price point you are at. I would go with def tech they make great small subs to match their speakers and they are durable. As far as the rug nobody can tell you how your room is going to sound. I've been in rooms with all hard objects and tile floor and it sounded fine. Never take advice about your room from somebody that has never heard your room. You never know how your space will sound until you get your system up and running don't get the cart before the horse so to speak. And anybody that thinks they know what it will sound like thousands of miles away is well not very smart. Also you may like a bright sound or lively sound audio is a preference don't let anybody tell you what your preference is.
post #35 of 42 Old 09-28-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIM101 View Post

You really dont need towers. Go for 5.1 with bookshelves + a sub. Two, you really need to save up some cash for a thick rug in front of your T.V.
Mr bepauljoseph don't worry about the rug go with the bookshelf type speakers out of the brands you mentioned I've owned def tech along time ago it was nice great value for the money. Also Boston is good as well splitting hairs at the price point you are at. I would go with def tech they make great small subs to match their speakers and they are durable. As far as the rug nobody can tell you how your room is going to sound. I've been in rooms with all hard objects and tile floor and it sounded fine. Never take advice about your room from somebody that has never heard your room. You never know how your space will sound until you get your system up and running don't get the cart before the horse so to speak. And anybody that thinks they know what it will sound like thousands of miles away is well not very smart. Also you may like a bright sound or lively sound audio is a preference don't let anybody tell you what your preference is.
post #36 of 42 Old 09-28-2013, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Yeah tryout your speakers first, and if you hear too much echo without fullness and soundstage is one-dimentional try starting w/ room treatment including the rug. Its upto you really.
post #37 of 42 Old 09-29-2013, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

After noticing all your points & feedback. I finally have some specs for 2sets of speakers

1) Polk Audio Custom System

Floorstanding Speakers - Polk Audio TSx 550T Tower Speaker Pair
Center - Polk Audio TSx 250C Center Channel speaker
Bookshelf - Polk Audio TSx 220B Bookshelf Speaker Pair
Woofers - Polk Audio DSWPRO660wi Subwoofer

2) Definitive Technology ProCinema 800

Since most of you are saying that my room is too small for a Tower do you think if I rearrange the sitting room will it be able to accommodate the tower or should i just go for a bookshelf 5.1

Thanks all

Paul

Denon AVR-3313
Boston Acoustics A 26 Bookshelf Loudspeaker
Sony 32" (80cm), 16:9 EX650

Dell Alienware X51 i5 Nvidia GTX660
BenQ XL2420t Gaming Monitor
Altec Lancing ATP3 2.1 Speakers

Canon EOS 700D DSLR
post #38 of 42 Old 09-30-2013, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by bepauljoseph View Post

Hi Guys,

After noticing all your points & feedback. I finally have some specs for 2sets of speakers

1) Polk Audio Custom System

Floorstanding Speakers - Polk Audio TSx 550T Tower Speaker Pair
Center - Polk Audio TSx 250C Center Channel speaker
Bookshelf - Polk Audio TSx 220B Bookshelf Speaker Pair
Woofers - Polk Audio DSWPRO660wi Subwoofer

2) Definitive Technology ProCinema 800

Since most of you are saying that my room is too small for a Tower do you think if I rearrange the sitting room will it be able to accommodate the tower or should i just go for a bookshelf 5.1

Thanks all

Paul
Nice speakers re arrange of the room will help .

bepauljoseph ask youself these questions :

How close are your neighbors same or different building? how loud are you wanting your movies and music, reference level maybe 85db average and maybe 120db peaks like in a THX movie theater, if so I think you found your speakers !
You want thunderous bass your neighbors can feel ? or adequate bass ?
SPL is likely to be pretty high in there at elevated volume levels with the Polks .
the towers don't have a large footprint they will fit as for the sub it's not huge as subs go not small either , looks decent you got room for it?

Big speakers may and often do produce unwanted reflections and standing waves in smaller areas that may in fact cancel one another out some what (room treatments can help there) what are your listening preferences, do you listen to mp3 if so low bit rate or high ? or lossless and or CD? thinking of bigger living space later ? .What are you planning to use to drive the speakers? . If you are not in a detached house with a little space around it or otherwise soundproofed apartment, either way with very accommodating neighbors you think you can use those polks at anything near their potential? ............. all things to consider.

Ultimately if you can ,try to listen to any speakers before you buy them don't buy anything you don't like even if a salesperson tries to convince you a more expensive pair is better if you don't like it don't buy it!
. There is no one speaker for everyone. The big Polks will probably sound very good at moderate volume levels in there nice looking also. and I would assume most music will be 2.1 channel so that's a big mitigating factor in favor of the Polks if you listen to them and like them better than the small ones then thats what you should buy, if your neighbors are close watch your volume (at least when they are home anyway cool.gif) if they are real close or too close and you think you may not have the self discipline to keep the volume down refer to above! if you are in an apartment
I'm not so sure the polks and a 12" sub is the ticket. A condo with a common wall in a different room and no upstairs or downstairs neighbors maybe.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #39 of 42 Old 01-03-2014, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks tubetwister for the reply. I'm listen to moderate volumes & when needed like a house party maybe a bit more. I dont know in dbs how to say it. I picked up a Denon AVR-3313 last week & have not set it up. I need to pickup speakers first for my HT. I went on an audition spree & heard to couple of speakers.

Polk TSX 550, 440 & Polk Subs
Heco Music Colors 200 Speakers

From my research I've shortlisted from Def Tech, Polk, Klipsch, Paradigm, Jamo the all new Monitor Series from Paradigm. It's kind of the range that I'm looking at as well.

Paradigm Monitor 11 v7 Floor-standing Speakers
Paradigm Atom Monitor bookshelves
Paradigm Center 3

For Sub - I'm thinking of getting the SVS PB12-NSD. Any suggestions are most welcome for sub as well.

Best,
Paul

Denon AVR-3313

Canon EOS 700D DSLR
post #40 of 42 Old 01-03-2014, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 87
This seems pretty well covered so far, but just to pass along some of the best home theater advice I've ever been given, spend more on the speakers then the AVR. It's a lot of fun to drop big dollars on a awesome AVR, but you're better off running $700 speakers on a $300 AVR then the other way around.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- SVS Prime Satellites, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
Display: BenQ w1070 on a 92in fixed screen
Blu-Ray Player:Samsung BD-EM59C;
Playstation 4, Apple TV, Harmony Remote
post #41 of 42 Old 01-04-2014, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Allen,

I'm considering the Martin Logan Motion Series as well. Do you have any idea about them.

Martin Logan Motion 40 (Monitor 30 for center channel) - http://www.martinlogan.com/motionSeries/specs.php

Martin Logan Motion 40 - USD 2,200/pair
Martin Logan Motion 30 - USD 749/piece

SVS Sub as mentioned above. A lot of people are complaining that the bookshelves for ML are not good & they lack bass, they are position depended & ....

what's your opinion about this speaker choice for my AVR.

Paul

Denon AVR-3313

Canon EOS 700D DSLR
post #42 of 42 Old 01-04-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 791

Bepaul,

I think the first thing you need to nail down, in order to get the best advice is if you want bookshelf speakers or towers up front.  If you go with towers you will probably have to slide your stand to the right far enough to get the left tower out of the doorway.

If you decide on bookshelf speakers, I would consider skipping the center channel due to how close your mains will be.  Generally, if your main speakers are closer than six feet apart, allowing your center channel content to be split evenly between your mains will give the impression of a center channel without actually having one.  If your avr does not detect a center it will do this automatically.

The sub you mentioned is one of the very best subs in existence in this price range, VASTLY superior to anything you can get at a big box retailer.  There are several other competitors in its price range that perform similarly, but none that can match its overall combination of quality, linearity and output capability.

However, this eats up $700 of your $1200 speaker budget.  Based on this, if you wish to remain within your budget, I would suggest the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer speakers, sb22 for bookshelf, four of these would only run around $250, leaving room for the center if you desired.  If you choose to go with towers up front, there are matching towers for this setup as well that run around $250/pair.  This speaker system combined with a solid sub like the SVS would absolutely destroy the sound quality of "better" speakers and an inferior subwoofer.  To exceed the sound quality of these incredibly inexpensive speakers, you would have to spend at least $350/pair, and you wouldn't be gaining much at that.

So even with the towers, center, surrounds, and one of the best subs bar none at its price, this would be a shockingly good setup for the price.

Do a search for reviews on these speakers.  Most professional reviewers are astonished at the sound quality these speakers offer for the price.  Had I not purchased HSU research speakers($360/pair), these are probably the ones I would have purchased.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Definitive Technology Procinema 1000 5 1 Speaker System , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Polk Audio Tl2600 Speaker System Set Of Six Black , Energy 5 1 Take Classic Home Theater System
Gear in this thread