Kansas City Speaker g2g and barbeque in the park - Saturday October 19, 2013 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 66 Old 09-26-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Second annual Kansas City Swope Park speaker meet.

What: Speaker Meet in Swope Park of Kansas City. Hamburger, Brats, Hot Dogs, BBQ and fun. Feel free to bring your speakers or subwoofers to share demos and introduce yourself to other Kansas City A/V enthusiasts.

When: Saturday October 19th, 2013 starting at 10:30AM. (I'll be there early to setup - feel free to join me earlier if you like) -- we'll keep going as long as people want to hang around.

Where: Swope Park Shelter House #7 off of Oldham road.
Google Map View: --- look how isolated this place is!!!
http://*******/maps/tmSmL

Here’s a short video of last years fun!
http://youtu.be/5N7BJf9I_0g

And link to the 2012 g2g thread
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438080/kansas-city-speaker-g2g-and-barbecue-in-the-park-november-2012

This will be very casual -- no standardized music list - - - just whatever people want to demo. Bring your CDs and mp3 players, mp3s, flacs, whatever you want. Any and all music welcome – but keep the music clean because this is a family event and a public setting! It’s a chance for our wives and kids to interact and for the men to grill and talk audio!

I'll bring my Captivator Pro pair to cover sub duty, likely being powered by an IPR 7500. The mains will run off a pro amp as well - perhaps a Behringer Inuke DSP 3000. An Onkyo AVR will act as pre-amp/switching source. We'll run all the gear off a single shelter house 20amp electrical outlet – so newer, more energy efficient amps will be used where possible.

All attendees should volunteer a dish, pot luck style. The event will be family oriented – bring your wife/gf/family and kids if you like.

We'll barbecue hamburgers, brats and dogs, and just enjoy listening to some speakers and discussing the hobby. The park shelter house’s grill will be lit up and available if burgers or brats aren’t your thing and you want to grill your own premium meats.

Please sound off on if you plan to attend, and what food you plan to bring.

The following people plan to attend:

• Archaea and family (4) - hotdogs and burgers - buns, condiments, lettuce, pickle, onions - paper plates, plastic silverware, cups.
  • carp and family (3) - Soda, beer, cookies
  • randy bessinger (1) - pulled pork and buns
  • stitch1 wife, and friends (4) - desert - maybe cheesecakes and puppy chow
  • thebean (1) - beans and potato salad
  • d_c (1) - possibly - - -charcoal and Shocktop keg.
  • sadus (3) - cheesy corn or potato salad

Anyone from the audio/video community is welcome! Vendors feel free to contact me if you’d like to showcase any gear. Last year JTR Speakers submitted the Noesis 212HT for the event and carp fell in love (well honestly so did the rest of us), and carp ended up buying his set immediately after the event.

Bring yard games if you have them. I'll bring Bocce Ball. Other suggestions?

This park shelter is within minutes of the KC Zoo. If the family comes along and wants to go to the zoo for the afternoon - please feel that is an option as well.

Speakers to be auditioned:
  1. JTR Noesis 212HT (and available 228HT)
  2. Tekton Pendragon
  3. Crystal Acoustics TX-T2SE towers
  4. Barefoot Micromain27 monitors
  5. ...getting confirmation on others???... (Klipsch Cornwalls, AES or SEOS DIY, Klipsch RF-83, etc)

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 09-26-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 479
I'm in. I'll bring some beer and cookies. If you think we will need more dogs/burgers/brats let me know I'll grab some of those too.

We have to get the Pendragons there, I'm very curious. Scrappy, are you going to bring the Cornwalls? I'm in for bringing the Noesis, they are itching to be cranked up outside. smile.gif

post #3 of 66 Old 09-26-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Man, too bad I'm in Oregon! I would love to come! Especially to actually hear the Noesis, but I'm sold simply from the tons of content I have read. Anyway have fun!

DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build

My Setup Thread

post #4 of 66 Old 09-26-2013, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Tentatively count me in and maybe the rest of the fam. Sounds like a great time!

post #5 of 66 Old 09-27-2013, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'll be there! My wife and a few friends should be joining me for the day. I can't wait!

I might bring a pair of Klipsch towers that I really need to sell to make room in my house.

post #6 of 66 Old 09-27-2013, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 45
That is literally 11 minutes from some friends of mine..... looking at plane tickets..... lol
post #7 of 66 Old 09-27-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The park shelter reservation says it's good for up to 100 people. wink.gif

I've updated the first post to include the positive responders.

Ben - if you end up flying in - make sure and setup up a time to audtion some of the systems in these parts. Even just among the attendees so far there are some nice home theater systems. We are planning on doing a home theater tour in KC over the next few months - but if you ask in advance you might be able to secure a early VIP showing. tongue.gif

post #8 of 66 Old 09-27-2013, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

When: Saturday October 19th, 2013 starting at 10:30AM. (I'll be there early to setup - feel free to join me earlier if you like) -- we'll keep going as long as people want to hang around.

Is that code for "until the beer runs out"? tongue.gif

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #9 of 66 Old 09-27-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

lol -- wink.gif

or until carp goes Marvin Gaye with his speakers again...and makes the rest of us uncomfortable. rolleyes.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif

post #10 of 66 Old 09-29-2013, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
LMAO!!!! biggrin.gif

post #11 of 66 Old 09-29-2013, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:

lol -- wink.gif

or until carp goes Marvin Gaye with his speakers again...and makes the rest of us uncomfortable. rolleyes.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif
http://youtu.be/BKPoHgKcqag

We know he liked them because he bought them but did he get a little fresh with them?

DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build

My Setup Thread

post #12 of 66 Old 09-30-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Is there internet connectivity?

Maybe some of us can attend via skype. smile.gifrolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

post #13 of 66 Old 09-30-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

We know he liked them because he bought them but did he get a little fresh with them?

No, no, no, just a friendly hug with no funny business - you know the type of hug that everyone gives their speakers.... right....? biggrin.gif

post #14 of 66 Old 10-02-2013, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

New attendee added - AVSforum member thebean, AND he will be letting us demo his Tekton Pendragons at the meet. biggrin.gif

post #15 of 66 Old 10-02-2013, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Dang that's cool but I'll be out of town that weekend.

post #16 of 66 Old 10-02-2013, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Man I wish you guys all lived closer to Chicago. I would love to attend this GTG.

Looking forward to a summary of the days events after the meet.
post #17 of 66 Old 10-02-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

New attendee added - AVSforum member thebean, AND he will be letting us demo his Tekton Pendragons at the meet. biggrin.gif

NICE!! Thanks thebean.

post #18 of 66 Old 10-02-2013, 02:47 PM

Liked: 11
No problem. Sounds like a few people would like to hear them compared to the JTR's. As long as it's not an SPl contest I think they will do ok. I'm just hoping I don't leave there wanting to spend $7,000 on a 212 setup with stands.
post #19 of 66 Old 10-02-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebean View Post

No problem. Sounds like a few people would like to hear them compared to the JTR's. As long as it's not an SPl contest I think they will do ok. I'm just hoping I don't leave there wanting to spend $7,000 on a 212 setup with stands.

Haha, yeah that's how I left last year...

I'm sure the Pendragons will sound great, I talked to Archaea after he left your place and he was very impressed.

At some point I do want to let the 212's completely rip with a powerful amp. I still have yet to see the 12" drivers move - and I wanna see it! smile.gif

Archaea, I know there will be families so we can't get too crazy, but hopefully at some point we can have the kids off playing with one or more of the moms and we can turn it up to 11. Do you have an amp that would be ideal to power the Noesis to their full potential? I don't even know how many watts they can take, isn't it 2000 ish? Is that per speaker? That's scary because I think my receiver gives them 50 watts each probably.

Maybe we can make one of those zooming out videos from 1/4 mile away like this one:

post #20 of 66 Old 10-02-2013, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Carp,

The single 20amp circuit at the park is the limiting factor. If it blows then the speaker party is over (as I'm not sure we can reset it?) So if we do that kind of playtime we'd definately do it end of day. MrSmithers has the Peavy IPR-7500. I'm pretty sure that's a max power handling match. It is rated for 2020watts x 2 at four ohm. You better be able to control the volume from that same mile away that your shooting video because with that much power pumping to the 101dB sensitive speaker - 'it's a gonna be loud'

post #21 of 66 Old 10-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 304
That is my all time favorite speaker demo video ... and it would be great if you guys could do something similar. Of course, Jeff was using his LG 1000 to drive the Growler/T8 and thats a shite load of power. The Peavy otta get er done.

Any questions people? tongue.gifwink.gif

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #22 of 66 Old 10-02-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Carp,

The single 20amp circuit at the park is the limiting factor. If it blows then the speaker party is over (as I'm not sure we can reset it?) So if we do that kind of playtime we'd definately do it end of day. MrSmithers has the Peavy IPR-7500. I'm pretty sure that's a max power handling match. It is rated for 2020watts x 2 at four ohm. You better be able to control the volume from that same mile away that your shooting video because with that much power pumping to the 101dB sensitive speaker - 'it's a gonna be loud'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

That is my all time favorite speaker demo video ... and it would be great if you guys could do something similar. Of course, Jeff was using his LG 1000 to drive the Growler/T8 and thats a shite load of power. The Peavy otta get er done.

Any questions people? tongue.gifwink.gif

Jeez Louize, it never occured to me that powering speakers could trip a circuit - but I guess you are right.

Ok, then it's settled. We'll fire it up at the end of the day. biggrin.gif

Jonathan, do you have a good zooming camera? We need to get Chirpie there, he shoots amazing videos!! Speaking of that, did you send a PM to all the KC guys like Chirpie and robotbunny? I need to look through my PM's, I know I've had some from guys that said if we ever have another gtg to let them know.

post #23 of 66 Old 10-02-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

That is my all time favorite speaker demo video

Speaking of Chirpie, here is my favorite speaker demo video:

post #24 of 66 Old 10-02-2013, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Carp,

I've not reached out to anyone yet via PM - if you've got additional contacts - feel free to do so. I'll reach out to a handful of them I can recall and copy you in on the PM so you know which ones I've hit up.

I don't have a good camcorder - though I do have one - so I can use what I have if nobody else shows up with one better.

post #25 of 66 Old 10-09-2013, 07:37 PM

Liked: 10
I really should attend with my wife, being about to order the 212HTs.. 10 more days is an awfully long time though!
post #26 of 66 Old 10-09-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Sorry guys can't make it. My son had another football game scheduled.

post #27 of 66 Old 10-13-2013, 12:08 PM
d_c
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I was able to get out of work for the day, so I will be there too. I haven't even bought the wood for the G-horns yet, so I won't have those with me even though I had hoped to have one finished. I can bring a bag of lump charcoal and a keg of Shocktop left over from the American Royal BBQ last weekend, if anyone is interested in that...

post #28 of 66 Old 10-13-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Uh oh. My wife is going to have to go to a PT class Saturday. She told me she wouldn't know for sure until about a week out, and sure enough she is going. So, that means I have no way to get the 212's to the GTG. I'll have the girls and I can't fit the speakers in the Rodeo with the kids in the back seat.

post #29 of 66 Old 10-13-2013, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Carp we can make it happen with the 212 early. Can we get them to my house before Sat?

I'm off tomorrow.

post #30 of 66 Old 10-13-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Let me check with Kevin, if he is going I wonder if he would be willing to haul the 212's since his car can fit crazy large items in it.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page