Advice on home theatre speaker purchase: New guy here :) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-26-2013, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey everybody,

First time posting, but I've always turned to these forums for advice on home theatre information.

I'm finally able to afford some nice speakers, and wanted some insight. I was debating between these two options:

A) save some money and go with the Pioneer SP-PK52FS, and then buy a subwoofer (no clue which one yet).

B) not care about 5.1, and just splurge on a set of Ascend Acoustics, either the Sierra-1's or the Sierra Towers (if is truly worth it, which seems like it). I would likely then hold off on getting a subwoofer, which isn't ideal anyway as I live in an apartment on the top floor. I would feel ok about dropping that much on the towers if they are good enough to still be excellent in 5-7 years from now, since the idea would be to buy for the long term and add onto my setup.

The receiver I would use is a Denon AVR-4308-CI. Would that work, or would that by a big bottleneck to getting ideal sound from these speakers?

Thanks for all your assistance. I'm a video guy, and audio has always been a bit of unknown territory for me. Any help would rock. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2013, 09:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 781
The Denon AVR-4308-CI is a good receiver. It will work very well with whatever speakers you buy.

Intermediate suggestion: Splurge and get Ascend CMT-340 SEs for front with CBM-170s for rear AND get a good $500 to $600 sub. That would give you an excellent setup for 5.1 (there are other choices in this price range that would work well, too). Should make you happy for several years smile.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 09-26-2013, 09:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 510
take a look at Focal
http://www.musicdirect.com/search.aspx?searchterm=FOCAL%20CHORUS

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/brand/focal/results/1.html

Monitor Audio
http://home-audio.audioadvisor.com/search?w=monitor+audio+silver

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MRSRX6&gclid=CLDCjNXV6rkCFUkS7Aodbg8AHw

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Old 09-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutape View Post

Hey everybody,

First time posting, but I've always turned to these forums for advice on home theatre information.

I'm finally able to afford some nice speakers, and wanted some insight. I was debating between these two options:

A) save some money and go with the Pioneer SP-PK52FS, and then buy a subwoofer (no clue which one yet).

B) not care about 5.1, and just splurge on a set of Ascend Acoustics, either the Sierra-1's or the Sierra Towers (if is truly worth it, which seems like it). I would likely then hold off on getting a subwoofer, which isn't ideal anyway as I live in an apartment on the top floor. I would feel ok about dropping that much on the towers if they are good enough to still be excellent in 5-7 years from now, since the idea would be to buy for the long term and add onto my setup.

The receiver I would use is a Denon AVR-4308-CI. Would that work, or would that by a big bottleneck to getting ideal sound from these speakers?

Thanks for all your assistance. I'm a video guy, and audio has always been a bit of unknown territory for me. Any help would rock. Thanks!

I HIGHLY recommend going with 2.0 set-up Ascend Towers w RAAL or NrT upgrade. Then get the Marantz PM6005 for the integrated amp.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 870
$850 for a pair of RX-2s! eek.gif

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Old 09-26-2013, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Splurge and get Ascend CMT-340 SEs for front with CBM-170s for rear AND get a good $500 to $600 sub. That would give you an excellent setup for 5.1 (there are other choices in this price range that would work well, too). Should make you happy for several years smile.gif
+1
Old 09-26-2013, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

$850 for a pair of RX-2s! eek.gif

Whats wrong with that price?
Old 09-27-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 1927
fwiw how big is your room. do you watch a lot of movies or is this for music and the occasional movie and what is a realistic budget

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
Old 09-27-2013, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Room size: About 18 feet by 13 feet.

But this is just an apartment, and therefore a temporary location.

As far as the CMTs, I've never heard them before, but I have heard the Sierra-1s (and know I love their sound), which is why I'm more inclined to lean towards those or the towers. How do the CMTs compare to the Sierra-1s?
Old 09-27-2013, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

I suppose another option is to buy a used set of Sierra-1 speakers and just use that for now, then eventually get the towers later? I was holding off Sierra-1s because I've heard rumors about new Sierras in 2014.

The ideal is something that can give me great sound without me having to pump up the volume to obnoxious levels, since I don't want to piss off my neighbors, heheh. That's why I was considering holding off the subwoofer, hopefully the speakers I get would be able to provide enough low end fidelity that I can avoid the dedicated sub. Or is that just not a good idea?

Like I said: new guy! Lol. Thanks for the input everybody.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Keep in mind that most subwoofers have a volume dial.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Old 09-27-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

svs sound has 45 day in home trial with their subs with free shipping both ways if you think the sub is to much for your apartment send it back.like bond 007 said they do have volume knobs for such purposes

Old 09-27-2013, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Is there any ideal setup? Like where "best bang for the buck" and "best long term solution" intersect? Trying to find that magic crossroads.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I suppose another option is to buy a used set of Sierra-1 speakers and just use that for now, then eventually get the towers later? I was holding off Sierra-1s because I've heard rumors about new Sierras in 2014.

The ideal is something that can give me great sound without me having to pump up the volume to obnoxious levels, since I don't want to piss off my neighbors, heheh. That's why I was considering holding off the subwoofer, hopefully the speakers I get would be able to provide enough low end fidelity that I can avoid the dedicated sub. Or is that just not a good idea?

Like I said: new guy! Lol. Thanks for the input everybody.

Buy it new directly from Ascend, get the Sierra-1's and later on I think I read that they let you upgrade for whatever the cost after you trade it in.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there any ideal setup? Like where "best bang for the buck" and "best long term solution" intersect? Trying to find that magic crossroads.
you still haven't gave a realistic budget so its hard to recommend anything

Old 09-28-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 96
+1
Quote:

There are a few "best bang for the buck" speaker choices at several price points, and there are some dogs/rip-offs at several price points. Knowing your budget helps folks give you good, sound (no pun intended) recommendations.

Speakers in general are a long term purchase. Most people on the forum who upgrade their speakers do so because they want to bump their listening experience to the next level, or they moved and have a new space (bigger or smaller), etc., not because their speakers wore out.

There really isn't a single "magic" price point for speakers. In general $8000 speakers do sound better than $300 speakers, point-of-diminishing-returns kicks in at different price-points for different people. There are $400 a pair speakers I'm completely happy using. There are some $1500 a pair speakers I'm pondering upgrading to later - after years of listening my aural standards are growing wink.gif Both however are one of the "best bang for the buck" speaker choices at their price point.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Fair enough. I'd say my budget is currently about $1500-$2000, give or take a hundred or two in either direction. smile.gif
Old 09-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 63
SVS also has a new line of speakers that have been getting good reviews. If they are as good as their sub-woofers, then they should perform well for both movies and music. A 5.0 setup would run $3900 though but getting just the left & right and adding the rest as funds dictate wouldn't be a bad decision. The 45 day in-home trial is available for the speakers. Speakers tend to be a long-term purchase, so getting a really good set now would cover you for 10+ years. Many of us on here, including myself, just add additional speakers from the same company/line when new surround options are available. I myself prefer Definitive Technology since I'm 80% movies/TV and 20% music. I have a dedicated 2-channel setup with my computer for music using a DAC and Active Monitors.

No need to upgrade the receiver unless you want to go 11.x surround or want more media playback options, which can be covered by getting a cheap Roku or BD player. I have the Denon 5308ci which I had the 3D upgrade performed. When I wanted more power, I just added external amplifiers, which can be done with the 4308ci as well.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
Old 10-18-2013, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

To update everybody, I decided on the sierra towers biggrin.gif
Old 10-18-2013, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Congrats-I'm very happy with mine.

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

To update everybody, I decided on the sierra towers biggrin.gif

Congrats. Happy listening!
Old 01-10-2014, 06:04 AM

Liked: 10
Recently bought the sony str-dn840 due to all the rave reviews. I have almost pushed the button on buying the pioneer sp-pk52fs also due to all the reviews but was wondering if there is anything in the price range that stacks up to them that aesthetically better looking, this is the only reason i have not purchsed yet.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by pageone69 View Post

Recently bought the sony str-dn840 due to all the rave reviews. I have almost pushed the button on buying the pioneer sp-pk52fs also due to all the reviews but was wondering if there is anything in the price range that stacks up to them that aesthetically better looking, this is the only reason i have not purchsed yet.
Cambridge Audio
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/brand/cambridge%20audio/results/1.html

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30

Tags
Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp Fs52 Flr Stand Loudspeaker , Denon Avr 4308ci Receiver , Ascend Acoustics Cmt 340 Se Center
Gear in this thread