The obligatory "I want a HTS and I'm new and no real idea what I'm doing" thread. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 09-28-2013, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Title roughly says it all folks.

I'm in the market for a home theater system, and I really have no idea what to get. I did go to Best Buy and their Magnolia section and looked around at some of their stuff. Needless to say, it's all very overwhelming (both in terms of what's out there, and the price tags on some of these things).

I want to stay away from a HTiaB. First off, I won't be able to do this purchase in one shot. I'd like to eventually get a 5.1 setup (7.1 would be nice, but my room is a living room, so it's not quite laid out to have a 7 speaker setup AND have foot traffic). More than likely for now, my initial purchase would be a receiver and two speakers. Possibly a 3rd center speaker depending on price.

So here we go:

Receiver: I was looking at a Pioneer Elite VSX-70. It seemed to have all I need to operate now, with enough room for me to grow into should I desire to. I figure, if anything, this would be a solid foundation. 

The initial purchase for sure would be two speakers. Not sure which way to go here. Floor Speakers seem to be a good choice (and due to the layout of my room, they would fit nicely around my entertainment center). I have no opinion on brands (other than I know Bose is way overpriced). If there are better options than floor speakers, I am more than open to it. 

Now, depending on cost, I might be able to swing a center speaker. The center speaker would have to go into an entertainment center. Again, nothing specific in mind here.

As for what I want it for: I game, watch movies and listen to a lot of music. I have gotten far pickier about audio quality. I tend to always rip my music at as high a quality as I can, and I tend to enjoy bands that release a lot of their stuff in high quality 5.1 mixes (Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Anathema...if you know any of these bands, you know what direction I'm talking about).

I'm not necessarily looking for that "getting blown away" by the enormous sound feeling like in the Maxell commercial, but I do want high quality. I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser 380 headphones, and the difference in having them on vs standard headphones was mindblowing (especially listening to Steven Wilson's albums). I'd like to have the same feeling/experience with a home system. I'd like to have warmth and hear nuances for music, and still be able to enjoy big action sequences in blockbuster movies, if that makes sense. I guess the best way to sum me up is that I don't/can't get ultra high end, but I certainly don't want to get low end stuff just to have something. So perhaps mid to upper mid might work (of course again, that'll depend on what that's considered).

As for budget...as low as possible for the highest quality lol.  I know that's a bit of an oxymoron. I don't want/need (or can afford) a $5K setup. Breaking up the system purchase for sure at least helps, I'd assume (and I don't think there's any real need/rush to buy all your components at the same time). I can get the receiver on Amazon (or priced matched through Best Buy) for $600. I'd like to keep the total purchase for now to $1000, if possible. Again, I don't know how realistic that is, but given that outside of the receiver, I really don't know what I'm purchasing, it's a bit difficult to judge what I'm jumping in to.

The other question I have is: Am I buying at the wrong time of the year? Given that it's almost October, should I just wait until Black Friday/Holiday season to try and get better deals? Or is the type of equipment I'm looking for not really something that you get THAT much better deals on. I'm also of course dealing with the "OH GOD I REALLY WANT TO BUY THIS" feelings, which certainly don't help.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-28-2013, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and if people are going to suggest an alternate receiver, I'd need one that the depth is less than ~14.5". That's about as much as I can fit into my entertainment center :-/

post #3 of 18 Old 09-28-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead9999 View Post

Title roughly says it all folks.

I'm in the market for a home theater system, and I really have no idea what to get. I did go to Best Buy and their Magnolia section and looked around at some of their stuff. Needless to say, it's all very overwhelming (both in terms of what's out there, and the price tags on some of these things).

I want to stay away from a HTiaB. First off, I won't be able to do this purchase in one shot. I'd like to eventually get a 5.1 setup (7.1 would be nice, but my room is a living room, so it's not quite laid out to have a 7 speaker setup AND have foot traffic). More than likely for now, my initial purchase would be a receiver and two speakers. Possibly a 3rd center speaker depending on price.

So here we go:

Receiver: I was looking at a Pioneer Elite VSX-70. It seemed to have all I need to operate now, with enough room for me to grow into should I desire to. I figure, if anything, this would be a solid foundation. 

The initial purchase for sure would be two speakers. Not sure which way to go here. Floor Speakers seem to be a good choice (and due to the layout of my room, they would fit nicely around my entertainment center). I have no opinion on brands (other than I know Bose is way overpriced). If there are better options than floor speakers, I am more than open to it. 

Now, depending on cost, I might be able to swing a center speaker. The center speaker would have to go into an entertainment center. Again, nothing specific in mind here.

As for what I want it for: I game, watch movies and listen to a lot of music. I have gotten far pickier about audio quality. I tend to always rip my music at as high a quality as I can, and I tend to enjoy bands that release a lot of their stuff in high quality 5.1 mixes (Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Anathema...if you know any of these bands, you know what direction I'm talking about).

I'm not necessarily looking for that "getting blown away" by the enormous sound feeling like in the Maxell commercial, but I do want high quality. I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser 380 headphones, and the difference in having them on vs standard headphones was mindblowing (especially listening to Steven Wilson's albums). I'd like to have the same feeling/experience with a home system. I'd like to have warmth and hear nuances for music, and still be able to enjoy big action sequences in blockbuster movies, if that makes sense. I guess the best way to sum me up is that I don't/can't get ultra high end, but I certainly don't want to get low end stuff just to have something. So perhaps mid to upper mid might work (of course again, that'll depend on what that's considered).

As for budget...as low as possible for the highest quality lol.  I know that's a bit of an oxymoron. I don't want/need (or can afford) a $5K setup. Breaking up the system purchase for sure at least helps, I'd assume (and I don't think there's any real need/rush to buy all your components at the same time). I can get the receiver on Amazon (or priced matched through Best Buy) for $600. I'd like to keep the total purchase for now to $1000, if possible. Again, I don't know how realistic that is, but given that outside of the receiver, I really don't know what I'm purchasing, it's a bit difficult to judge what I'm jumping in to.

The other question I have is: Am I buying at the wrong time of the year? Given that it's almost October, should I just wait until Black Friday/Holiday season to try and get better deals? Or is the type of equipment I'm looking for not really something that you get THAT much better deals on. I'm also of course dealing with the "OH GOD I REALLY WANT TO BUY THIS" feelings, which certainly don't help.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks again!

One question first: What is the size of your room.

One comment first: you said you wanted to spend 1K total right now with 600 for the receiver. That is too skewed toward the receiver. Most people would recommend spending more money on the speakers, because that is what you will actually hear.
post #4 of 18 Old 09-28-2013, 08:26 PM

Liked: 12
^^^ This... As for speakers, newegg always has sales on Polk towers which imo have some of the best mid's around for the price, if I were your depending on room size I would look for a nice set of monitor 60's paired with a 25c center channel, and a BIC PL200 sub.. If you find a decent sale that will cost you between six to seven hundred, leaving three to four hundred for receiver I would shop at accessories4less get yourself an x1000 or x2000 and your set right at 1k for a nice starting 3.1 minus wire lol..

It's all fun and games until my wife notices something new in the entertainment center
post #5 of 18 Old 09-28-2013, 10:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 644
HSU HB-1 MK2, Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE, and ARX A1b are all very good bookshelf speakers that would be great to start your setup with; these will compete with speakers costing a good bit more at Best Buy. Internet direct speakers so they are always at a very good price. Then next I would add a sub. Finally, get the rest of your speaker set to match the first pair.

post #6 of 18 Old 09-29-2013, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.

I've attached my room layout. It's not to scale, but the dimensions are pretty accurate. The 8' block is my entertainment center for a reference point, so figure speakers would go to the right and left of that. Btw, the floor in this room is tile, as I'm sure that might have an effect.

As for the receiver suggestion, I will take that into account. The reason I went with the pioneer was (as I said) something so that I could step up if i want. I figured that after I have that, the speakers would come as I could afford them.

post #7 of 18 Old 09-29-2013, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

HSU HB-1 MK2, Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE, and ARX A1b are all very good bookshelf speakers that would be great to start your setup with; these will compete with speakers costing a good bit more at Best Buy. Internet direct speakers so they are always at a very good price. Then next I would add a sub. Finally, get the rest of your speaker set to match the first pair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead9999 View Post

Thanks for the advice.

I've attached my room layout. It's not to scale, but the dimensions are pretty accurate. The 8' block is my entertainment center for a reference point, so figure speakers would go to the right and left of that. Btw, the floor in this room is tile, as I'm sure that might have an effect.

As for the receiver suggestion, I will take that into account. The reason I went with the pioneer was (as I said) something so that I could step up if i want. I figured that after I have that, the speakers would come as I could afford them.

If your room has tile, you might need some room treatments to make it less boomy. Area rugs, tapestries on the walls, curtains and other things. You should be able to work.

+1 on these speaker recommendations from cel4145.
post #8 of 18 Old 09-29-2013, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

What would be the comparison in quality from those Hsu HB-1s vs a floor speaker monitors, like the Polk's mentioned above?

post #9 of 18 Old 09-29-2013, 10:04 AM

Quality is all in eye of beholder your best bet is to go to best buy or a box store and demo polk towers and klipsch bookshelfs for your comparison im not huge on horn based speakers as they make my ears bleed but to each their own the hsus are nice

It's all fun and games until my wife notices something new in the entertainment center
post #10 of 18 Old 09-29-2013, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, so I demoed the receivers at Best Buy and decided to "downgrade" to the Pioneer VSX-43, saving me about $180, and giving me more breathing room for speakers. I couldn't hear any real difference between receivers while using the same speakers, so I feel comfortable with my purchase.

While trying stuff out, I thought these were pretty decent. They were about the most enjoyable I saw that wasn't absurdly out of my price range, although a pair of these would still push me out.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/6-1-2-2-1-2-way-floorstanding-speaker-each/1290564.p?id=1218247968044&skuId=1290564&st=bowers%20and%20wilkins%20speaker&cp=1&lp=6

I am intrigued by the Hsu's. They seem fairly cheap, yet I have seen almost nothing but glowing reviews, both here and around the web. Can anyone say how these would compare to the speakers that I mentioned above so I have some idea that I can reference? With how much those costs, I could probably swing two and a center pretty comfortably.

post #11 of 18 Old 09-29-2013, 05:29 PM

I cannot compare them to b&w's but I can say I have a set of the hb-1s and love them. Do NOT compare them to other horns like klipsch. The tweeters are much smoother and do not fatigue even in an extremely small and bright room. The soundstage and imaging is the best I've ever owned. I would compare the hsu to some mid range Atlantic technologies speakers. I imagine those b&w's sound great too but they are quite a bit more expensive. You could get two bookshelves and a center in rosewood finish and a vtf-1 sub shipped for the cost of a pair of those b&w bookshelves with 5% tax. Or a 5.1 setup in black w/ the STF-2 sub which is still great. And you would enjoy that far more than a pair of bookshelves I promise.
post #12 of 18 Old 09-29-2013, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I went from the Polks (70's up front with a CS2, 50's for sides) to a full HSU set . I wouldn't go back. The HSU's are a much more accurate speaker. The Polks, while capable of playing loud, were very 'bright', IMO, and did give some 'listening fatigue' at those more spirited levels. I've never had that problem with the HSU's, regardless of how long or how loud I listen.

btw... welcome to AVS smile.gif
Joseph

...what a long, strange trip its been.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-30-2013, 02:57 PM

Curious on what you decide - I'm in a similar boat although may slightly larger budget. I was thinking BW 683s...not sure what to do for center. Folks around here seem to suggest the HTM61 isn't the best option.
post #14 of 18 Old 09-30-2013, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

As I said, I got the Pioneer VSX-43, and then ended up going with the Hsu HB-1 mk2s , and an HC-1. Economical and got terrific reviews.

post #15 of 18 Old 09-30-2013, 03:36 PM

Please update us when you have auditioned them in your home. Congrats on your purchase.
post #16 of 18 Old 10-01-2013, 07:46 PM

Congrats on your decision the hsu's are nice

post #17 of 18 Old 10-05-2013, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Well, today was finally the day.

All I can say is: "Wow. What a difference"

The Hsu's are simply amazing. Far better than any of the speakers I demoed at best buy (including several floor standing speakers). A well made purchase, especially considering I bought these ear unheard simply based on recommendations here and reviews on the web. A great value as well, considering what similar speakers cost at Best Buy.

About the only thing I can complain about (and we all have to complain about something) is that I didn't have the foresight to purchase banana jacks beforehand. Getting speaker wire into the terminal posts on the Pioneer in a cramped space just wasn't possible. Luckily, Lowe's had some (at a price probably far higher than Monoprice) so I was able to get set up.

I think the only dilemma I have now is if I'm going to be able to hold off on getting the other 2 rear speakers and subwoofer. And then on top of that, do I go with 2 HC-1's for my rear speakers, or do I move the HC1s I have for left and right to the back, and get 2 HC-2's....

Decisions decisions....Thanks to all who made suggestions!

post #18 of 18 Old 10-05-2013, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Congrats! Make sure to sneak in some enjoyment while you're pondering your next purchase wink.gif
Reply Speakers

Tags
Pioneer Elite Vsx 70 , Bic Pl 200 Acoustech Platinum Series Subwoofer , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page