Looking for guidance from across the border - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-30-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I’m currently in the process of acquiring a new set of speakers for my 7.1 system. I live in Mexico City and places to audition speakers are very hard to come by down here, so I’ve spent the last month auditioning in the few places I’ve found and came up with a list. I must admit that I’m no expert and I found myself liking every speaker I heard in this list(I’m coming from an Onkyo HTIB, so it figures), I discarded Bose, Sony, JBL and a couple other brands because they just didn’t cut it for me.
I listen to 90% Bluray Movies/Concerts and 10% Stereo/Multichannel Music. I have a Denon 2112CI and it has hooked up a Wii, 360, HD Cable and a HTPC which is the only one I’d like to sound good.
What I’m looking to get is 3 towers for the front stage(since I don’t really like horizontal center speakers) , a couple of bipole/dipole surrounds for the sides and 2 bookshelf speakers for the back. I’m not sure about the sides because I couldn’t audition any bipole/dipole ones, so I’m looking forward on your feedback about how much better they are compared to direct radiating speakers, because they surely are way more expensive.
So here’s the list sorted by price from lower to higher, I may add that speakers here are way overpriced(100-200 more than I found in Crutchfield, Amazon, etc..).

Mordaunt-Short

For what I can gather, this brand isn’t well known in the US, but it is well regarded in the UK(where it’s from) and places like India.
Since they are the cheapest option I’m thinking I would go with an all tower approach and get myself 3 pairs of:

Aviano 6
Aviano 8
Mezzo 6

I would have to sacrifice 7.1 in favor of 6.1 since they can’t be bought separately only in pairs.

PSB

Image T6
Image S5/Imagine S
Image B5/B6

Klipsch

There is absolutely no way to audition Klipsch speakers here(besides from movie theaters, but I don’t think they’re in the same league), but I can get them for a little more than the PSB’s. From what I’ve read this might be what I’m looking for since they are more oriented to movies than music, but I also can tell there appears to be a love/hate relationship with this brand.

RF-62 II
RS-52 II
RB-61 II

KEF

Q700
Q800ds
Q300

Monitor Audio
RX6
RXFX
RX1

I’m a little inclined to get the PSB’s or the Klipsch’s(which I haven’t heard) because I know for sure that my Denon can drive them(At least the Klipsch’s, because I’m not sure about the PSB’s. They’re listed as 8ohms but in reviews and forums they’re at 6ohms), and for the KEF and MA, I might have to get a new amp.

In the subwoofer department I’m pretty much stuck with commercial brands, since BIC, SVS, Epik, etc… are almost impossible to get here, unless I pay 3 times their price to get them shipped. So I’m hoping that getting tower speakers will mitigate a little of the lack of depth that my current 12” Onkyo delivers until I can get something respectable.

I’m really, really sorry about the long post, but movie nights with my wife are the only fun thing that’s in my life right now(well besides you know what) and I would appreciate your help in enhancing the experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-30-2013, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
What is your budget and your room size?
post #3 of 7 Old 09-30-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

My budget is between $2,500-$3,000 and my room size is 20x14x12(WxDxH).
post #4 of 7 Old 09-30-2013, 04:57 PM

If its for HT, you should invest a 1/3 of that on a good subwoofer.

The omnipole design for sorrounds is the correct and proper sorround sound design IMHO. What it will do over the direct radiating speakers is it will diffuse sound alot better. Ultimately, you will lose out on accuracy, but, sorround sound from the many movie source mainly plays musical score, bullets etc and is only sourced about 10% maximum in a movie vieweing so you should be fine.

Mirage has good omnipole design speakers for sorround. Just get them for like $300.00 for a pair through E-bay.
For Fronts, I would recommend going with Tekton M-Lore's. I think they ship internationally and are pretty much ideal for HT so they should be good.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-30-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIM101 View Post

For Fronts, I would recommend going with Tekton M-Lore's. I think they ship internationally and are pretty much ideal for HT so they should be good.

+1 for the sub budget

And the M-Lores might be good but as for shipping internationally I think Tekton needs to work on just shipping anything at all. rolleyes.gif

I emailed them and called and left voice mail and never heard a word. And this forum has plenty of evidence of severe lack of communication, broken promises, CC charged with nothing shipped, poor to no service after sale for the few who actually got speakers delivered. I would stay far, far away from Tekton, especially for an international buyer.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #6 of 7 Old 09-30-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIM101 View Post

The omnipole design for sorrounds is the correct and proper sorround sound design IMHO. What it will do over the direct radiating speakers is it will diffuse sound alot better. Ultimately, you will lose out on accuracy, but, sorround sound from the many movie source mainly plays musical score, bullets etc and is only sourced about 10% maximum in a movie vieweing so you should be fine.

Mirage has good omnipole design speakers for sorround. Just get them for like $300.00 for a pair through E-bay.

Even knowing that it’s not strictly necessary, I would like to have speakers of the same line or at least the same brand. I’m not very comfortable buying from online retailers as I prefer to get my speakers from physical stores so I don’t waste my money on shipping costs if I have to enforce the warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

+1 for the sub budget

And the M-Lores might be good but as for shipping internationally I think Tekton needs to work on just shipping anything at all. rolleyes.gif

I emailed them and called and left voice mail and never heard a word. And this forum has plenty of evidence of severe lack of communication, broken promises, CC charged with nothing shipped, poor to no service after sale for the few who actually got speakers delivered. I would stay far, far away from Tekton, especially for an international buyer.

Thanks for the heads up. The subwoofer budget is not considered here, this one is just for speakers, I will get the sub in a couple of months.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-30-2013, 06:38 PM

Alot of people are starting to buy from Internet Direct companies due the the fact that they are making products that have 3x the performance of whats being sold on the stores. For example, X speaker that costs $300.00 retail would cost only about $70.00 if you buy from a good ID company that puts out good products. You would have to pay for shipping yes, but if you were to buy speakers from retaiers, you are also paying for their marketing sort of speak. The prices listed of your speakers in your retailer is added to the cost of the speakers because they play a middleman and that gets added to the cost.

From my exprience, I think Selah Temptas's that is a ID company that cost $4,000 outperforms a B&W bookshlf that costs $6,500 retail. In the long run, if you get the right ID brand, and add up the cost, it wil be more value.

If you are looking to buy from a particular local shop and from the options that you have given, I would definately go with the KEF's.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rs 52 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rb 61 Ii Reference Series Bookshelf Loudspeakers Cherry
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page