Need quick answer for wiring 2 8 ohm svc speakers and 1 8 ohm dvc speaker to sonos connect amp.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-01-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Am I correct/ok in doing this? Our Master bedroom has 2 Polk RC60i speakers (ohm impedance) in ceiling and 1 Polk RC6s (8 ohm impedance.. DVC) in the bathroom. If I wire these three speakers in parallel, will I have a 4 ohm load?

I am thinking I will because the bathroom speaker being dual voice coil could be wired just like two single voice coil speakers could, which should give me 4 ohm load, correct?

So basically, are 4 SVC 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel the same as 2 SVC 8 ohm speaker and 1 DVC 8 ohm speaker wired in parallel?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-01-2013, 11:05 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 710
I didn't follow everything there. Wiring speakers in series doubles the impedance and wiring them in parallel halves the impedance. A speaker with two voice coils works the same way. Wiring the coils in series doubles the impedance and parallel halves it. If you have 3 8 ohm speakers then two should be connected to each other in series and the the third one in parallel with the first two. That would return you to 8 ohms.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-01-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

So wiring like this would result in a 8 ohm load to the amp correct? The sonos connect amp can handle between 4-16 ohms.. is this the best/only way to wire these speakers?
post #4 of 9 Old 10-01-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Wire them in series as the Sonos amp can handle a 4 ohm load, if you aren't using inline volume controls.

But I would use impedance matching volume controls for each room as you might want to have different volumes in each room due to the varying difference between the speakers, room size and room acoustics. That way, you have more flexibility, and an 8 ohm load on the amp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-01-2013, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

This is the pic from the sonos website on how to wire 4- 8 ohm speakers. Couldn't I do the same basic thing with the 2 svc speakers and 1 dvc speakers since they are 8 ohm?

ifor: I am not using volume controls for each room.. I am going to control volume from the sonos app on my iphone. Wiring is already in and id rather not have a volume knob on the wall anyway. But how could I wire 2 SVC 8 ohm speakers and 1 DVC 8 ohm speaker in series to get a 4 ohm amp load? Sorry if this is an idiot question..
post #6 of 9 Old 10-01-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

The dvc speaker has 2 speaker connectors. Wire it like you see in the picture.

btw, you WILL have different volumes in each room.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-01-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, ok. I'm guessing the dvc speaker will be louder since there is more power going to it? In your opinion would it be really noticeable? Just wondering if I can get volume controls for each room, turn the speakers on and adjust each room accordingly to make them sound equal, then pull the speakers back out of the ceiling and keep the control knob up above the drywall in the ceiling so its out of view. I'm just trying to keep from having the cost of getting an electrician back out to run new wires and mount the knobs on the walls.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-02-2013, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos794 View Post

Hmm, ok. I'm guessing the dvc speaker will be louder since there is more power going to it? In your opinion would it be really noticeable? Just wondering if I can get volume controls for each room, turn the speakers on and adjust each room accordingly to make them sound equal, then pull the speakers back out of the ceiling and keep the control knob up above the drywall in the ceiling so its out of view. I'm just trying to keep from having the cost of getting an electrician back out to run new wires and mount the knobs on the walls.

The dvc isn't getting more power, it my use more power, but that's not the issue. The volumes will be different due to one speaker vs two, room dimensions are different, and reflective surfaces are different from one room to the other.
You could try placing a pair of volume controls in the attic but I don't know the wiring code for your area.

You could also just get another Sonos for the bathroom. That way you have ultimate control and would only by a minor price bump from having to buy 2 volume controls and labor.
This way you could listen to music in the bathroom while your significant other can sleep in the bedroom.

post #9 of 9 Old 10-02-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Ok great, thanks for the reply. Also, there is no other external amplifier necessary to power the in ceiling speakers if I am using connect:amps for all speakers, correct? I was talking to a local audio/video store the other day and he made it sound like I did? ...unless he was just talking about using connects by accident..

In summary, we just did a small house renovation, and while electricians were there I had them run wiring for in ceiling speakers. I want to be able to stream music from my computer and Pandora through the in ceiling speakers, as well as any audio that would be playing from the TV (shows, Blu-ray movies, etc), and control it all from my iphone. Also, I want to make sure that when I'm streaming audio through the in ceiling speakers, that it will also be streaming from the speakers and sub that are connected to my TV.

I plan on getting a Yamaha V775WA receiver, 1 Sonos Connect, and 3 Sonos Connect:amps. The 3 Sonos connect amps will power and control three zones of speakers in my house and the connect will be tied into my receiver and control and power the fourth zone, through the B output of the receiver.

From what I was told, the receiver can run audio through zone A and B simultaneously, which would also allow tv audio to play through speakers in the tv room (Zone A on receiver) as well as in ceiling speakers as well (Zone B).

Thoughts?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Rc60i In Ceiling In Wall Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page