What to do with MC-12 and two B&W 805 Diamonds? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-02-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Some of you might already recognize some of my posts regarding a home theater I acquired in a home purchase. Long story short, majority of the equipment was installed around 2000; although majority of it is high quality, some of it is a little outdated. The inventory and specs is as follows:

Receiver: Lexicon MC-12 (non-HD)
Amps: 3 Proceed HPA3
Subwoofer: Velodyne (Don't know the model number at the moment; size of a small refrigerator)
Speakers: 2 B&W 805 Diamonds (or comparable)
Projector: Marquee M9500LC (Vidikron Vision One) w/ HDMI Card
Video Processor: Faroudja (DVP5000)

Setup: There are two sets of wires on the wall - L&R for back, L&R for Side. I do not know if/how the seller had front and center speakers. From my understanding the seller had his DirectTV feed to the MC-12 via HD-Components; video was fed to the Faroudia, which when to the projector; audio was fed out of the MC-12 and then went to the amps and then the speakers (note: might not be totally accurate).

Issue: Majority of my A/V equipment utilizes HDMI connections as a video and audio source (Verizon Fios, Apple TV, PS3). Ideally, I'd like to feed all of my video components through the receiver to the projector; unfortunately the MC-12 is not the HD version and does not have HDMI ports.

I do not want to cheap out on audio equipment, but I also do not want to spend money for equipment that will not be used to its full potential. Recently I have purchased a home theater setup for my family room composed of B&W speakers and the Sony STRDN1040 receiver (speakers: M-1s, CM-5, CM Centre). Ideally, I would like to purchase a similar setup utilizing the B&W 805s and Woofer that came with the house. I know the MC-12 is a great receiver, but I want to weigh on the side of ease of use and not have to set up converters to send one HDMI cord to the project from three HD sources.

Question: Would a similar setup I have in my family room be sufficient for the equipment left at the house? From my understanding, the speakers I have purchased and the 805s require 120W 8 ohms; the Sony receiver supplies 170W per channel. If they are fine - where would I put the 805s?

Thoughts?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-02-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked: 804
Replace the MC-12 with a newer pre-pro, like the Marantz 8801. This will give you HDMI connectivity, modern video scaling, room correction, and a host of other features with good sound quality as well.

If you like the sound of the speakers and want to keep them, try to find matching centre and surrounds.

Sanjay
post #3 of 9 Old 10-02-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

It should be noted that although I appreciate quality A/V equipment, I am not much of a connoisseur or knowledgable about them. I can also appreciate the high quality of the Marantz 8801, but $3500 for a 11 CH seems a little overkill. I want to make sure that the receiver I use for my system does not worsen the sound coming out of the speakers, but I also do not want to purchase a receiver that I wouldn't use to its full potential. It would be like buying a Ferrari, but never getting it over 45 MPH.

I'm sure I'll love the B&W 805s, but I probably wouldn't purchase them for $5000; in all honesty, like the receiver, I doubt I will ever use those 805s to their full potential. I'm looking for the best way to utilize what I have in my possession at the moment and add to it without needing to max out my credit card twice.

Would I be fine buying another Sony STR-DN1040? Or maybe a more affordable Marantz or Denon?

Thank you for your help!
post #4 of 9 Old 10-03-2013, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Marantz av7701 is the less expensive per/pro and lists for 1600.00 or so. Are you sure about the 805 speakers-diamond, not Nautilus or "S" versions?
post #5 of 9 Old 10-04-2013, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

I am quite positive that they are the 805 Diamonds; looks just like them: http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/800_Series_Diamond/805-Diamond.html

I'd love to use them, but if they are too high end for my needs then I'd be more than happy to sell the pair I have and get some lower performance ones like the CM 5, Centre, and M-1s.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
A lot of ways to go. You could look for a used htm4 matching center speaker on audiogon.com or the bay; probably 1500.00 or so used. You could get some relatively cheap speakers for the rears. Also there are two versions of the diamond speakers: series 1 and the current series 2. Honestly I couldn't tell you what differentiates the two.
You could also sell the 805s and the lexicon rather easily and replace with something not so high-end.
Djoel likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-04-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccur View Post

A lot of ways to go. You could look for a used htm4 matching center speaker on audiogon.com or the bay; probably 1500.00 or so used. You could get some relatively cheap speakers for the rears. Also there are two versions of the diamond speakers: series 1 and the current series 2. Honestly I couldn't tell you what differentiates the two.
You could also sell the 805s and the lexicon rather easily and replace with something not so high-end.

That's what I would do if I'm not too keen on having high end components that I wouldn't use to their full potential, I would even get a Denon AVR under 1500, and keep those Proceed Amps for the fronts and let the AVR power the rear, and with the cash from the 805/D/Di or what ever the are get a complete 5.1/7.1 system like those cheaper B&W you mention..

Djoel
post #8 of 9 Old 10-04-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by FensterBos View Post

I am quite positive that they are the 805 Diamonds; looks just like them: http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/800_Series_Diamond/805-Diamond.html

I'd love to use them, but if they are too high end for my needs then I'd be more than happy to sell the pair I have and get some lower performance ones like the CM 5, Centre, and M-1s.

The latest incarnation of 805 in black have a Gloss finish, so if you're are black and are gloss then you can command some cash, if they're a wood finish the speaker cable connectors are in an oval shinny metal type.

If they're 805n you can get around 1250 to 1700 depending their condition, I got a little over 1900 but they looked mints with all their packaging, jumpers, manual etc.

Good Luck

Djoel
post #9 of 9 Old 10-07-2013, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Well, turns out the speakers that I thought were 805 Diamonds are actually Nautilus SCM1s - whoops.

After talking with a local guy we've determined that we'll use the Nautilus as rears and will get some towers for the front and probably something like the DS3s for the sides.

I've also realized that there is no sense of me trying to save a few bucks here and there so I'm prepared to just get something like the Marantz av7701 to drive the towers and subwoofer.

Thanks for your help!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Lexicon Mc 12hd , Marantz Av8801 , Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver , Marantz Av7701 Audio Video Preamp Processor
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page