Speaker and Receiver Recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-02-2013, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I need some advice please.  I am just beginning my theater build.  I am wanting a 9.2 set up.  The dimensions of my room are roughly 21' L x 15' 6" W.  I want in wall speakers for the surround sound that are going to be built into box columns and the sub woofers will be floor boxes placed on the stage.  I have no idea what to buy and I am getting closer to the point of needing to commit.  I am looking at Klipsch in wall speakers on Amazon and they even have some packaged 5.1 deals that save $500 to $1000 in doing so.  Could I get two of those 5.1 systems to get to my 9.2 and buy a 9.2 receiver?  What would be a good recommended 9.2 receiver?

I am budgeting the following for my equipment:

Receiver $1,500

Projector $2,200

Speakers (9 total) $3,000

Subwoofers $600

Also can someone recommend what wire I should be pulling for those speakers in that size room?  are 14/2 sufficient for the surround sound and 12/2 for the subwoofers?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-02-2013, 02:27 PM

Liked: 40
I would do some adjusting on the budget...you are going to want to spend more than $600 on subs. I've seen some recommend half the total speaker budget on subs, which would put you at $1800 for subs and $1800 for the rest. Since you are going for a 9.1, you could probably get by with $1200 for the subs and $2400 for the speakers, but I wouldn't go anything below that. That will get you into a 15 inch Rhythmik. I would also recommend staying away from in wall speakers if you have a choice. You will always get better bang for your buck with conventional speakers. Depending on the install, you might want to consider going with Pro speakers like some of the JBL to maximize your dollars.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-02-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 439
+1 on the above advice. Spend more on the sub, less on speakers and receiver. Two subs for 600 will end up being one sad theater. For a projector at your price point, I recently purchased a Mitsubishi HC5 after much research, and it cost about $2200. I have been very pleased with it, you might look into that model. As for your speakers, will you be having a acoustically transparent screen? If so, you do not need to get a horizontal center speaker, which would be good.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-02-2013, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by robamerica View Post

I need some advice please.  I am just beginning my theater build.  I am wanting a 9.2 set up.  The dimensions of my room are roughly 21' L x 15' 6" W.  I want in wall speakers for the surround sound that are going to be built into box columns and the sub woofers will be floor boxes placed on the stage.  I have no idea what to buy and I am getting closer to the point of needing to commit.  I am looking at Klipsch in wall speakers on Amazon and they even have some packaged 5.1 deals that save $500 to $1000 in doing so.  Could I get two of those 5.1 systems to get to my 9.2 and buy a 9.2 receiver?  What would be a good recommended 9.2 receiver?

I am budgeting the following for my equipment:

Receiver $1,500
Projector $2,200
Speakers (9 total) $3,000
Subwoofers $600

Also can someone recommend what wire I should be pulling for those speakers in that size room?  are 14/2 sufficient for the surround sound and 12/2 for the subwoofers?

Spend way less on reciever, spend more on sub. HSU VTF-15H would be good for your space.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-02-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 295
A 9 channel AVR is going to cost at least $1000 (unless you can find a really good deal somewhere). So I would go ahead and wire for 9 channels but drop down to a good 7 channel AVR for now which can be had for $500 or so. Then later you can upgrade to a 9 channel if you feel you need it.

Put that extra money into the subs like already mentioned. In walls for the surrounds IMO will be fine. Most of your sound is going to come from the front 3 and the subs so that is where you need to put your money.

AT screen? If so 3 identical speakers across the front would be best. Something like 3 Klipsch RB81s for example since you might be doing Klipsch in walls. Check the prices here at AVS.

For subs a pair of SVS PC12NSDs or PSA XS 15s or HSU VTF3 MK4s, all would be similar in price (within a $100 or so).

I don't think you'd miss the extra 2 channels since nothing is being produced in 9 channel ATM.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #6 of 9 Old 10-03-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

I appreciate all the feedback.  Spend more on subwoofers, less on receiver (for now anyway), less on surrounds.

I don't think I want an AT screen.  Or do I?  How much are we talking?  FWIW, my projector is going to be mounted approximately 16' from the screen.  According to the projector calculator, I should still be able to get a 120" screen, which was what I was hoping for.

If I pass on the 9.2 set up for 7.2 (for now), which 2 surround speakers would you eliminate based on my drawing?  I will go ahead and pull wire for future.

Does anyone have advice on wire for my lengths?  The maxiumum length for my subwoofers will be about 40'.  All surrounds will be slighly less.

My next question doesn't really belong on this thread but I will shoot anyway.  If you can see that back sitting bar on my drawing, It will be a 2x4 half wall, with granite on it for bar stool seating.  I am going to put in 2 or 3 additional receps in that bar wall to plug in iphone, portable game systems, etc. that won't make it to the A/V closet.  My question is, if you could put a multi technology jack right there or several, what would you put in it?  USB, a couple cat 6, hdmi, anything else?  The idea is to have an everyday handy way to access components in the closet with a tablet, iphone, game system, etc.

post #7 of 9 Old 10-03-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:

I appreciate all the feedback.  Spend more on subwoofers, less on receiver (for now anyway), less on surrounds.

A few sub tips:

DO NOT buy a sub from a brick and mortar store. There are Internet direct subwoofer vendors, such as the subs mentioned above, that are much, much better price performance values than traditional speaker company subs. HSU Research, Power Sound Audio, SVS Audio, Rythmik Audio, and Outlaw Audio. To learn more, research in the AVS subwoofer forum.

Placement will affect dual sub performance, and they are influenced by room acoustics (take a look at this guide). So might be best to wire for alternative locations so you can try and see which is best.

Subwoofers generally benefit from some kind of EQ. The room correction software in many receivers will NOT EQ the subwoofers to improve the in-room response. For this reason, I would suggest a receiver with Audyssey MultEQ or better (not their 2EQ) which does. Yamaha's multipoint YPAO (not the regular multipoint) will work as well.

Dual Rythmik LV12Rs would work well in that size room.

post #8 of 9 Old 10-03-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:

I don't think I want an AT screen.  Or do I?  How much are we talking?  FWIW, my projector is going to be mounted approximately 16' from the screen.  According to the projector calculator, I should still be able to get a 120" screen, which was what I was hoping for.

If I pass on the 9.2 set up for 7.2 (for now), which 2 surround speakers would you eliminate based on my drawing?  I will go ahead and pull wire for future.

Does anyone have advice on wire for my lengths?  The maxiumum length for my subwoofers will be about 40'.  All surrounds will be slighly less.

My next question doesn't really belong on this thread but I will shoot anyway.  If you can see that back sitting bar on my drawing, It will be a 2x4 half wall, with granite on it for bar stool seating.  I am going to put in 2 or 3 additional receps in that bar wall to plug in iphone, portable game systems, etc. that won't make it to the A/V closet.  My question is, if you could put a multi technology jack right there or several, what would you put in it?  USB, a couple cat 6, hdmi, anything else?  The idea is to have an everyday handy way to access components in the closet with a tablet, iphone, game system, etc.

If you haven't planned for an AT screen, you probably don't have the space to put any speakers behind an AT screen at the moment. That is something you should figure out before you make your speaker selection. An AT screen will open up your options with respect to speakers, you will not be forced to use a horizontal MTM center speaker which is a compromise design.

As for your jacks, you will never have anything that can tackle all devices, you just ave to decide with plugs are the most important to you. I would probably go with just Cat 6, HDMI, and USB, depending on what its all connecting to.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-04-2013, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Ok...Yes, I can't really incorporate the AT screen at this point.. I have already built my risers and I don't want to lose any more room.  I respect everyon'e opinion about floor speakers as opposed to wall speakers, but again I can't compromise the few inches I will lose everywhere for that.  That being said, can anyone recommend the best bang for my buck on in wall speakers?  If I need to spend more for better performance I will, but I just have to have them in wall.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc5 , Klipsch Rb 81 Bookshelf Loudspeaker Black , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Rythmik

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page