Placement of B&W CM8s and acoustics of the room... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-03-2013, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi All,

I just moved to the NL and moved into this nice apartment with high ceilings. The room size is 20 feet x 15 feet (6 m x 4.6 m).

I got a system that is:

Rotel RA-12 + NAD C 521i + B&W CM8s

The pictures of my current setup and of the listening space are attached. I also attached three drawings of the room (furniture is different in reality).

As of now the sound is quite good. I can get some decent imaging, but I feel it can be much better. Within weeks I will get curtains on the tall windows so I am sure that will help a bit.

Just yesterday I discovered that the imaging got much better when I increased the distance between the speakers to what it is shown in the photo (6.2 feet, 190 cm) from 5.3 feet before. The listening distance (center of the sofa) is 7.5 feet (2.3 m) from each speaker.

I will add that the wall opposite to the wall the system is on has a fireplace which is not in the center of the wall (seen in the drawings).

I can rearrange pretty much anything and I can certainly add stuff to the room so please advise on what to do to improve the acoustics in the room. Also, could you advise on good live recordings that show good sound stage? I am new to all this and eager to learn...

Thanks!

Michal

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-03-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by michalm View Post

Just yesterday I discovered that the imaging got much better when I increased the distance between the speakers to what it is shown in the photo (6.2 feet, 190 cm) from 5.3 feet before. The listening distance (center of the sofa) is 7.5 feet (2.3 m) from each speaker.

I prefer to be closer to the speakers than the distance they are apart from each other. I find that gives a much more wider enveloping soundstage. If it was me, I would either move the sofa closer to the TV or alternatively place the TV on the wall between the two windows. Doing a 'long-wall' setup like that would allow you to move the speakers further apart and yet at the same time still have good distance from the side walls.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page