Witch center channel is better for movies. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 10-07-2013, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I;m looking at upgrading my front speakers of my 7.2 system right now i have the sony center and sony towers and i love sony but i feel there is no depth to the sound. The towers im going to get are either Klipsch Synergy f-20 or f-30 witch ever i can get at the time of buy.

So now here is my list of center channel

Klipsch Synergy C-20

never heard the speaker but pro is same brand as towers but has no low end port and only has 5 inch speakers.

Polk Audio New Monitor 25C

Friend has this speaker and sounds good but Its a polk audio and not klipsch speaker so matching sound could suck. But it will have more low end in the mid range up front. I'm looking for a lot of depth.

I know this is the wrong spot to post this but not sure its worth making a new spot for this one

I'm also getting a new tv and i have a 40 inch tv now and hate how small movies look. Will a 60 inch on movies be big enough to pull u in to the movie or do i need to buy a projector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 10-07-2013, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Dude, I have a 55 incher and it pulls me in fine 9 feet away. Whats important is not the size, but the picture quality. The best picture quality with even a 40 incher will pull you right in.
post #3 of 28 Old 10-07-2013, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

I can see your point there. I have a sony bravia xbr now and i love the pic i just want the screen bigger.
post #4 of 28 Old 10-07-2013, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmokeyy View Post

I;m looking at upgrading my front speakers of my 7.2 system right now i have the sony center and sony towers and i love sony but i feel there is no depth to the sound. The towers im going to get are either Klipsch Synergy f-20 or f-30 witch ever i can get at the time of buy.

So now here is my list of center channel

Klipsch Synergy C-20

never heard the speaker but pro is same brand as towers but has no low end port and only has 5 inch speakers.

Polk Audio New Monitor 25C

Friend has this speaker and sounds good but Its a polk audio and not klipsch speaker so matching sound could suck. But it will have more low end in the mid range up front. I'm looking for a lot of depth.

I know this is the wrong spot to post this but not sure its worth making a new spot for this one

I'm also getting a new tv and i have a 40 inch tv now and hate how small movies look. Will a 60 inch on movies be big enough to pull u in to the movie or do i need to buy a projector?

Front three should be timbre matched.
cel4145 likes this.
post #5 of 28 Old 10-07-2013, 05:29 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 649
The best center channel is the one designed to match your main speakers. The second best is one that sounds good to you.
cel4145 likes this.
post #6 of 28 Old 10-07-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Witch center channel do u think will have a better low end? I want a strong mid range sound? Also is there somewhere that talks about passive crossover boards so if your building your own speakers? What I don't understand about them is. Say u get a 8 ohm board. Does does final ohms have to = 8 ohms or is that just what the amp will see no matter what ohm speakers u use?
post #7 of 28 Old 10-07-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Your center is basically your dialogue speaker. You want the voices to sound natural. Also you want the panning effects to match the left and right front speakers. What you want w/surround sound is a smooth totally integrated sound stage where everything co-ordinates in a realistic audio tapestry. One mistake many people make is jacking up the volume on certain speakers in a surround set up. Centers and rears are the most typical. It makes the system sound out of balance and causes the speakers to stand out like sore thumbs. Use the room correction on your AVR and if you need more bottom add a second sub. You really don't need deep bass on a center voices don't get that low.smile.gif
post #8 of 28 Old 10-07-2013, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Ok. i know i don't want to mess up my audio option again. When i got my tv i just got every thing by sony to keep one brand. Now i have a PSW505 for the low end and i hate it. The port came broke. The front grill came broke. u can hear so much port noise it drives me crazy. My friend has polk towers and center channel Sounds pretty good always room for better. I love klipsch as a brand but not sure of there center channel. The towers sound great. I have a onkyo avr and its a beast. model HT-RC370. I love all the options and how clean the power is. The poor sony's can't handle it. I have the sony towers with 8 inch drivers and big center channel. My vega rears e-26f love the power and sound great but im also going ot update those also. The room is 16 feet long i seat 9 feet from the tv. Problem with the room is its a L shaped and low end is hard. I can hear the bass better in other rooms of the house than the threater room. I have done the hole walk around the room on the ground and even put in the lowest point the low end sounds weak in that room. I tested a 4 12 setup for 2 days in the room and got the bass i wanted so im building a new sub woofer system with 2 sets of 12's and hope that will fix my low end problem. I just don't want this sony sound problem all over again. Tv rocks every one says wow thats the cleanest pic i have seen and i love it but want bigger now.
post #9 of 28 Old 10-07-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 290
If you are getting the Klipsch Synergy towers, you have two options for a center. Another matching tower, or the matching center. Your center does not need to play bass content, the receiver will set a crossover for your speakers so your center wil likely only be playing 80/100Hz content and up. With a room like that, multiple subs will help even out bass response. Consider trying one up front and one nearfield if you want that strong impact.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #10 of 28 Old 10-07-2013, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help. Im going to buy the c-20 center and build 2 box's one for front and one for rear. I want that impact hit in movies.
post #11 of 28 Old 10-07-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 826
And the F20s will be fine with subs. Dont waste your money on the F30s.
I own the F20s and I really like them.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #12 of 28 Old 10-07-2013, 12:09 PM

Liked: 16
I have a projector and my screen size is about 75". I sit 8 to 10 feet away. It's perfect for me. Some people will think it's too big. But I really enjoy it.

Onkyo TXSR607, Mythos 8 Center, Studio Monitor 350's, Klipsch S-10 surrounds, Bic F12 sub

Epson Home Cinema 8100 Projector
post #13 of 28 Old 10-07-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:

Ok. i know i don't want to mess up my audio option again. When i got my tv i just got every thing by sony to keep one brand. Now i have a PSW505 for the low end and i hate it. The port came broke. The front grill came broke. u can hear so much port noise it drives me crazy. My friend has polk towers and center channel Sounds pretty good always room for better. I love klipsch as a brand but not sure of there center channel. The towers sound great. I have a onkyo avr and its a beast. model HT-RC370. I love all the options and how clean the power is. The poor sony's can't handle it. I have the sony towers with 8 inch drivers and big center channel. My vega rears e-26f love the power and sound great but im also going ot update those also. The room is 16 feet long i seat 9 feet from the tv. Problem with the room is its a L shaped and low end is hard. I can hear the bass better in other rooms of the house than the threater room. I have done the hole walk around the room on the ground and even put in the lowest point the low end sounds weak in that room. I tested a 4 12 setup for 2 days in the room and got the bass i wanted so im building a new sub woofer system with 2 sets of 12's and hope that will fix my low end problem. I just don't want this sony sound problem all over again. Tv rocks every one says wow thats the cleanest pic i have seen and i love it but want bigger now.

Its obvious your sub is bottoming out. Get the Hsu VTF 15-H and you wont have to deal with all the annoyance that comes with subs bottoming out ever again in a room your size. Get a 60 incher TV and place it not too low but along the middle height of your room and you wont feel like the T.V is too small. Wall mounting is best. For center, I recommond ditching your Sony's and getting a whole new set up. Start with 2.0 and then gradually build up to 5.1.

For HT, I highly recommend Tekton speakers.
post #14 of 28 Old 10-07-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIM101 View Post

Its obvious your sub is bottoming out. Get the Hsu VTF 15-H and you wont have to deal with all the annoyance that comes with subs bottoming out ever again in a room your size. Get a 60 incher TV and place it not too low but along the middle height of your room and you wont feel like the T.V is too small. Wall mounting is best. For center, I recommond ditching your Sony's and getting a whole new set up. Start with 2.0 and then gradually build up to 5.1.

For HT, I highly recommend Tekton speakers.

Why do you keep recommending Tekton speakers? No one can buy any. Sure you can order them and then wait around for a year without nary a word as to when or if you'll ever get them. Until and if Tekton ever gets straightened out you're doing a disservice to the readers on this forum, especially the new ones who may not know of Tekton's problems.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #15 of 28 Old 10-07-2013, 06:12 PM

No, I am not. Maybe you should have checked the latest posts of the Tekton thread. They got alot better with delivery times but it seems the grills are still a issue.

As far as the OP goes if the grills are an issue I would recommend the JTR's.
post #16 of 28 Old 10-07-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No, I am not. Maybe you should have checked the latest posts of the Tekton thread. They got alot better with delivery times but it seems the grills are still a issue.

As far as the OP goes if the grills are an issue I would recommend the JTR's.
While that is interesting, he is only looking for a center and you are recommending speakers that are far beyond what his budget seems to be.

post #17 of 28 Old 10-07-2013, 06:49 PM

Its a silk dome tweeter vs. aluminum horn (yikes!). I dont think the Polk will be a good match with the Klipsch, but I do think the Polk would be a better choice.
post #18 of 28 Old 10-07-2013, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

I'm looking to build a new system. I'm buying front towers and center right now. The only reason im just asking about the center is i was set on the f-20 or f-30 towers. I have looked at the polk TSi400. 230.00 each but at that price i ask why not go up to the f-30 towers. This system is 90% movies 10% music. What's the deal with the bic brand of audio there stuff seems cheap but people talk about it all the time? I'm going to start with 2 12's in the room and if its not enough add another 2 since i know what the room is like with 4 12's. I built a 4 12 system for a friends house 1000 rms and it was nice but to much bass for movies.
post #19 of 28 Old 10-07-2013, 09:34 PM

If you are going with a whole new system I would recommend the Tekton M-Lore for the fronts. It will be far better than the Polks. What is the size of your room?
post #20 of 28 Old 10-07-2013, 09:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Bic makes great speakers for HT. But they will probably cost you more than the F20s that have been on sale lately and I would rather have the Klipsch. I have seen the F20s as low as $130 a piece lately.
Bic have a similar sound to Klipsch.
The only advantage to the F30s is they have better bass. That will be useless with your subs.

post #21 of 28 Old 10-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 71
Quote:

If you are going with a whole new system I would recommend the Tekton M-Lore for the fronts. It will be far better than the Polks. What is the size of your room?

Have you told him that the powered sub will absorb 75% of the AVR's power yet? biggrin.gif
post #22 of 28 Old 10-07-2013, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

What's this subwoofer taking 75% of the avr power? I'm not going to order a brand i have never heard or even know about. The room is **** for low end. The size is hard to know. The room is a L the tv is in the bad spot but at the other end there is a door to the outside. The sub isn't bottoming out. When i got this sub from newegg the port was broke. When a slot port is broke there is nothing worse u could hear. Room is 15 feet long to one end other end is 8 feet the other end of the L. wide the room is 12 feet. 14 foot ceiling and its not flat. It's staggered tiers. lowest point is 14 feet. I feel this room is not normal.
post #23 of 28 Old 10-07-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:

What's this subwoofer taking 75% of the avr power? I'm not going to order a brand i have never heard or even know about. The room is **** for low end. The size is hard to know. The room is a L the tv is in the bad spot but at the other end there is a door to the outside. The sub isn't bottoming out. When i got this sub from newegg the port was broke. When a slot port is broke there is nothing worse u could hear. Room is 15 feet long to one end other end is 8 feet the other end of the L. wide the room is 12 feet. 14 foot ceiling and its not flat. It's staggered tiers. lowest point is 14 feet. I feel this room is not normal.

Don't worry about the 75% power thing. He's just poking fun at what I posted on another thread. Anyway, if it is a port issue then why dont you just send it back and get a new one?
post #24 of 28 Old 10-08-2013, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

I was mad at the time and just set the sub to the side for 6 months. So now im just going to build a new box for it. I have my own wood shop in my house that i use to build car subwoofer box's. I got bored today and built a
new cabinet for the avr and new ps4 and box when they come out. This is the reason im updating everything.
post #25 of 28 Old 10-08-2013, 03:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Reading thru the thread, I just want to give you a few thoughts and my opinion.
Starting with the TV, You are sitting back to far to get you into a movie. I have a 65in in my main, and I sit 9ft from that, and I feel it is perfect for bringing a person into the movie.

In my bedroom, I have a 40in, and I am about 9ft from that TV, and I understand how you feel about the size. I want to upgrade my bedroom TV, although I’m not sure why, because all I do is fall asleep to the TV/audio

Also, in my bedroom, I have the Klipsch f-2’s with the C-2 center channel, which are the older model of the f-20’s. Years ago, I was using a f2’s and a C-3 in an apt, and that set was great for movies.

I am also using an Onkyo with the Klipsch, and I feel they make a good combo.

So, if you can, sit closer to the TV until you get a larger one. Get rid of that Polk sub, if you can afford to spend $500 for a sub, look at the SVS PB-1000. The sub can go as low as 19hz, that is around the range you would want for movies, of course lower is better, but for $500 you are not going to beat that price on a sub hitting that low.

To answer the original question, get the C-20, because you always want to timbre match.
post #26 of 28 Old 10-08-2013, 03:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 91
The best center channel exactly matches your L and R speakers... I mean an identical speaker (with a vertical arrangement of drivers). A horizontal array of drivers which is in the typical center produces much lobing. Most center speakers are only horizontally aligned and wide as for convenience and not ideal sound.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #27 of 28 Old 10-08-2013, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Im going to use the bash amp and buy another and run 15 's.. . I was wondering what sub specs matter for home use and what should I look for in the subs. I feel u on the tv and its not that I hate my tv I'm just not sure if I should go 60 inch or 90 to much sure I'm happy just not sure how to put a projector in this place with out puting holes in the ceiling.
post #28 of 28 Old 10-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 71
Quote:

Don't worry about the 75% power thing. He's just poking fun at what I posted on another thread.

Yes, it was a shocking declaration of your lack of knowledge, yet you spout "advice" to people here freely.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Synergy F 20 Premium Dual 6 5 Inch Floor Standing Speaker , Klipsch Synergy F 30 Premium Dual 8 Inch Floor Standing Speaker , Polk Audio Monitor 25c Two Way Center Channel Speaker Single Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page