Whats the point of full range speakers? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 33 Old 10-10-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 330
I'm thinking about buying another PSA sx30 to place it on a different location http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/the-marriage-between-the-subwoofer-and-tower-speakers

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /2 PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 10-10-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

I'm thinking about buying another PSA sx30 to place it on a different location http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/the-marriage-between-the-subwoofer-and-tower-speakers

Cool.

Also, are you using Audyssey Flat Dynamic EQ? I find that it helps tremendously with the subs in my system.
post #33 of 33 Old 10-10-2013, 09:22 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

That makes sense. I think having subs around the room front and back should help.

But I remember even back then in the OLD college days when I just had 5 NHT SuperZero + 1 SW2P sub, I never "noticed" any localization when I set my XO to 100Hz.

I think it just depends on how sensitive we are to certain things. I mean if we are not sensitive to certain sounds or frequencies, we may not even "realize" that localization was present. Perhaps "localization" is present, but if we don't even "notice" it, then it matters little. biggrin.gif

I really have never experienced or noticed a few things that others have in this hobby. Like Subwoofer localization (hearing exact location of sub) or Sub bottoming out or amps lacking power (protection) or tweeters blowing, etc.

Of course, I hear people talk about, but just never experienced it.

Anyway, I am certainly not AGAINST towers + subs. The key thing is having the multiple subs. As far as XO, 80Hz seems to be the favorite (THX) point.

But if budget is limited, I think little speakers like the NHT SuperZero (which people have gotten for $60 directly from NHT) plus multiple subs work well even if the XO is set to 100-120Hz, as long as you don't notice any subwoofer localization.

I don't disagree with you. I was kidding. Actually I cross the AVR at 80 hz but dial down the filter on the plate amp to 50 hz. That gives me good woofer support with no bloating.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page