Subwoofer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-08-2013, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi There, I could really do with your advice, I have a theatre room which is about 6.5 metre by 5.5 metres, I have powerful old but good JBL front speakers, Boston rears and jbl centre speaker with a new yamaha rxv2075 receiver. I need a subwoofer and am so confused. It was suggested either a definitive super cube 6000 or maybe a a paradigm ultra cube 12 inch. We will be using it for movies, not music. Any suggestions? I was looking at spending obviously the least I can but about $1000. Thanks in advance. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-08-2013, 07:02 PM

Liked: 40
You should check out the subwoofer subsection of the forum. Since you are posting in meters, I assume you are not in the US. Typically internet direct companies will give you a lot more for your money than the ones you are considering, but we would need to know your location to find out what is available where you are.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-08-2013, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply, yes I'm from Australia, however am prepared to buy online. I have read so many reviews, my heads spinning.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-08-2013, 07:19 PM

Liked: 40
The problem is subs are big and heavy, and therefore expensive to ship. I'll list the frontrunners here in the states, and leave it up to you to find out what can be shipped and for how much. My personal favorite is Rythmik, because I really like tight, controlled bass that sealed servo systems offer. But others to consider are HSU, PSA, SVS, and Outlaw. I might have left someone out...but as I said, post in the Subwoofer section, and list your room dimensions and listening preferences, since that matters a lot with subs. Be sure to mention your location also...maybe you'll be lucky and a fellow Aussie member will have some inside knowledge.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-08-2013, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for that info. Yes some shipping costs are $650 crazy and understandable given the weight. We will be using the sub for movies and theatre. I will keep researching. The room is about 6.5 metre by 5.5 metres. I may have to buy from Australia ouch. One sub is $1800 here can get is for just under $1500 and in USA it's $800, crazy how we get ripped off.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-08-2013, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Well, I'd recommend SVS PB1000 x2 if you can get it shipped there, they ship to the states for free.
HSU has the VTF3 that would work well.
Rythmik has one for $589

Just try to find the best deal, but please don't get any sub but an internet direct brand!
post #7 of 10 Old 10-08-2013, 09:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
SVS Audio has an Australian distributor. Check the international sales section of their website.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #8 of 10 Old 10-08-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzy View Post

Thank you for that info. Yes some shipping costs are $650 crazy and understandable given the weight. We will be using the sub for movies and theatre. I will keep researching. The room is about 6.5 metre by 5.5 metres. I may have to buy from Australia ouch. One sub is $1800 here can get is for just under $1500 and in USA it's $800, crazy how we get ripped off.
That's why a lot of us down here DIY our subs; more performance for less money, and a sub is the easiest enclosure of all to build.

You could buy a Mach 5 UXL18, a MiniDSP for EQ and HPF/LPF and a Behringer NU3000, measurement mic preamp etc for less than $A1800. One will give about twice the volume displacement of an SVS PB13U, and you can use the amp to power two, so you could add another later.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-08-2013, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Hi There, I could really do with your advice, I have a theatre room which is about 6.5 metre by 5.5 metres, I have powerful old but good JBL front speakers, Boston rears and jbl centre speaker with a new yamaha rxv2075 receiver. I need a subwoofer and am so confused. It was suggested either a definitive super cube 6000 or maybe a a paradigm ultra cube 12 inch. We will be using it for movies, not music. Any suggestions? I was looking at spending obviously the least I can but about $1000. Thanks in advance. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile2k View Post

You should check out the subwoofer subsection of the forum. Since you are posting in meters, I assume you are not in the US. Typically internet direct companies will give you a lot more for your money than the ones you are considering, but we would need to know your location to find out what is available where you are.

For the price point you are chasing buying OS just isn't worth it as you kill your value in freight.

Couple of options to look at is

1. Check out Eastwood hifi specials page
http://www.eastwoodhifi.com.au/specials.html Great company and one of the largest local hifi online sales folks in volume.

2. Talk to Peter at DeepHz (Australian SVS retailer) http://www.deephzaudio.com Peter is truly a great bloke and he maybe able to work something out with you.

3. Check out the DTV Forums, and post there. http://www.dtvforum.info Often killer 2nd hand bargins show up there or the guys there no where there is a bargin happening.

Cheers
K
post #10 of 10 Old 10-09-2013, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:

Yeah, we sure do!

SVS has a second Australian e-tailer: Elite Electronics. I've never had dealings with them though.

My personal favourite is also Rythmik Audio, for the direct-servo tech but mainly for the adjustments available on their plate amps. They also have an Oz distributor/e-tailer: Audio Salon. If you email them, they'll quote you prices. For example, I was quoted $1780 for an F15HP early last year (when $A -> $US exchange rate was more favourable).

However, if you're a little bit handy with the tools, a unique aspect of Rythmik is that they also sell subwoofer kits and provide box plans for you to assemble your own Rythmik. Audio Salon quoted me $970 for the top-of-the-line DS1510 kit, which builds an F15HP or FV15HP "clone". Rythmik will also ship the kits direct from the US, but will not ship completed subs here.

There's also a list of Australian speaker manufacturers floating around that's worth checking out - I'll see if I dig it up.
Reply Speakers