7.2 Speaker shopping - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am planning a dedicated home theater, i decided to replace my speakers during the build, instead of as a future add-on.

Room dimensions are about 21 ft long x 11 ft wide x 9 ft ceilings. I cant upload a image from work but you can see a diagram on my build thread "cues and brews", current images on 2nd page.

Room will be mostly for movies. LCR to be placed behind AT screen, I will have about 30 inches behind the screen for speaker placement. 2 side columns and 2 rear columns for surrounds. I am trying to avoid focusing on the subs on this thread, but I will have a minimum of 2(thats all i know at this time)

Budget - slightly flexible
LCR @ $600-800 each
Surrounds @ $250-300 each

I went to BB and listened to some speakers. I was only able to listen to martin logan motion 40's (didnt love) and B & W 683's (thought they sounded great). I have a few places to visit with more complete selections. Klipsch RF-82's are speakers that i was interested in but have not yet heard. I also plan to compare all of the towers I am considering to the bookshelfs.

I am trying to finalize my column design. The surround columns are planned at 6 inches deep, I may be able to push this to 7 inches. Even if I recess into the wall I have a max of 9-10 inch depth. I cannot find many bookshelfs for that space. There are some shallower dipole/bipole surrounds, but my column design only allows a cloth front which limits me to monopoles. Klipsch has small bookshelfs available in their referrenced series, B&W bookshelfs are too large but they have satalite speakers or surround that would fit, I know I have a lot of on-wall options as well.

Is it foolish to guide the selection of my mains by what surround options are available in that line? Or should these be viewed as seperate purchases?

What are some other speakers in this price range that would be worth listening to?

Any good bookshelf options in the 250-300 dollar range with less than 9 inch depth?

Thanks for any help

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 687
I would go and get 7 BIC FH6-LCR speakers @ $100 each. They are horn-loaded and have a high sensitivity meaning they will play loud without needing external amplification, and give you great dynamics for movies. There is no reason to buy towers when you will have an AT screen and multiple subs. Having an identical front sound stage is ideal, and since the speakers are only 6-1/8" deep, they will work well for your surrounds too. Take the extra money you save and put it towards your subs!

These speakers are comparable to Klipsch so if you like their sound these should be a good option that is much more affordable.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #3 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
You might check out Ascend Acoustics. 340SEs across the front, 200SEs for surrounds. Internet direct so hard to get a listen unless someone on the speakers demo thread has some in your 'hood. As to mixing different speakers, don't think it's crucial for surrounds for movies...
post #4 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Not crucial no, but they conveniently fit his requirement and it will be harder to find a horn-loaded surround speaker. Plus Blu Ray audio will sound excellent biggrin.gif

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #5 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

I would go and get 7 BIC FH6-LCR speakers. They are horn-loaded and have a high sensitivity meaning they will play loud without needing external amplification, and give you great dynamics for movies. There is no reason to buy towers when you will have an AT screen and multiple subs. Having an identical front sound stage is ideal, and since the speakers are only 6-1/8" deep, they will work well for your surrounds too. Take the extra money you save and put it towards your subs!

These speakers are comparable to Klipsch so if you like their sound these should be a good option that is much more affordable.

Transmaniacon,

They are certainly a great solution considering my space constraints, it would also be nice to save the extra money. I still need to listen to a speaker with a horn loaded tweeter, like klipsch to see if I like it. I will also try to give these a listen.

And even if I dont go with the mains, I have one more pair of bookshelf surround options

Your feedback is a big help.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

You might check out Ascend Acoustics. 340SEs across the front, 200SEs for surrounds. Internet direct so hard to get a listen unless someone on the speakers demo thread has some in your 'hood. As to mixing different speakers, don't think it's crucial for surrounds for movies...

Lovinthehd,

Now these speakers have already caught my eye, I am disappointed to find out that they will be hard to sample, but I will take your advice and see what I can do

Again, the HMT 200 SE is a great surround option that I did not notice initially, and could work quite well for me.

I was looking at both the CMT - 340 SE and the Sierra - 1. I know higher price does not = better, but the sierra 1s are certainly in my price range. If the cost is not a issue would you recommend the Sierra 1's or the CMT - 340 SE.

I could still pair the sierra 1's with the HMT 200 SE, correct? If multichannel music is not a priority.

Thanks again for the great suggestions
post #7 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have in my 7ch setup Sierra-1s (with NrT upgrade now) across the front, 170SEs for surrounds, 200SEs for rear surrounds; movies and music sound great. Big surprise I recommend Ascend, eh? smile.gif I've used the 170SE & 200SE as fronts as well, they're very nice speakers but would depend on the size room as to how well that would work, but they're quite versatile. The 340SE is one I haven't tried but for L/C/R would do very nicely especially in a large room. I haven't read this thread but the title seems like it might have some good info on the Sierra vs 340 question http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?4732-Sierra-1-Nrt-vs-CMT-340-for-DEDICATED-Home-theater&highlight=sierra-1+or+340SE
post #8 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 610
I don't think the surrounds need to match for movies so 4 of these might work- http://www.nhthifi.com/Home-Theater-On-Wall-Speakers

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #9 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 02:02 PM

im in a very similar situation and have narrowed my setup down to the BIC FH6's for all 7 channels and pairing them up with two subs
post #10 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Guys,

The sierra 1 Nrt, is certainly something I cannot wait to listen to.

After some quick research it looks like Paradigm studio 20's with atom monitor or cinema 100's for surrounds also needs to be on the must listen list.

I gotta get out there and listen, I didnt like the harshness of the ML folded motion tweeter so im not sure that I will like Klipsch, but we will see.

Any more suggestions out there?
post #11 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

As I mentioned, if you haven't already seen this, you might want to hear what you can in your area, the sister sub thread is linked in here also http://www.avsforum.com/t/1354492/the-ill-demo-my-speakers-for-other-enthusiasts-thread
post #12 of 13 Old 10-12-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Is that budget per speaker? I was under the impression that was a total.

post #13 of 13 Old 10-12-2013, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry it is per speaker, my post wasn't very clear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Reference Series Rf 82 , Ascend Acoustics Cmt 340 Se Center

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page