VSA VR-22 or Salk STRT or Philharmonic Slims - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 10-11-2013, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to decide between the three listed in the title. I will use it for both Music and HT. The center and the surround will come later. The room dimensions are 16X17X9. Mostly listen to rock and jazz. I have a Martin Logan Dynamo 500 subwoofer. Will probably replace that by a Rythmic at a later date. Any insight or actual listening experience will be most helpful. Receiver is Yamaha RX-V3900.

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 10-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I'm not familiar with the VSA but I'd be very happy with the Slims. Not sure you can find a better deal on a speaker.
post #3 of 31 Old 10-12-2013, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelic View Post

I am trying to decide between the three listed in the title. I will use it for both Music and HT. The center and the surround will come later. The room dimensions are 16X17X9. Mostly listen to rock and jazz. I have a Martin Logan Dynamo 500 subwoofer. Will probably replace that by a Rythmic at a later date. Any insight or actual listening experience will be most helpful. Receiver is Yamaha RX-V3900.

Thanks...

Re: the Salk STRTs, have you read through the Salk threads here at AVS as well as at AC?

Here's what I had to say.

Salk SongTowers-RAAL / SongCenter-RAAL / SongSurrounds; Rythmik F12 (x2); Denon AVR-4520CI; D-Sonic M2-800S; Oppo BDP93; Panny 65VT50; Schiit Audio Valhalla; Sennheiser HD600; BJC everywhere
WDTV Live Hub; Xbox 360; Chromecast; Harmony One; Furman Elite-15 PFi; Omnimic v2 & REW; CalMAN 5 HT; i1 Display Pro 3; i1 Pro2; Salamander Designs Synergy
post #4 of 31 Old 10-13-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks charmerci and laulau. I have been following the Salk and Philharmonic threads here on AVS. I had pretty much decided that it's going to be either the STRT or the Slims. Then I read about Von Schweikert VR-22. Unfortunately I did not find much information about this particular model. There are a few professional reviews. However I consider real owner reviews in forums like AVS a lot more valuable.

So if someone has heard both the VR-22 and either the STRT or the Slims, I will be very interested to hear how the VR-22 stacks against the others.

I'll also very interested to hear about any other speaker I should be considering.

Thanks, again...
post #5 of 31 Old 10-13-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Of the three: my only experience is with the Salk STRT's; though I own both SCST's and Philharmonic 2's.

Because I have not heard two of them, and have no experience with even a relative of the VR-22, I cannot truly say something like "this one is better"; but as a very happy Salk ST owner, I can certainly put in a recommendation for that speaker.
post #6 of 31 Old 10-13-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:

Thanks...

I don't think you're going to find someone who has heard both the Slims and the VR22, at least not under conditions that would permit a valid comparison. Where are you located?
post #7 of 31 Old 10-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
I gave it the old college try, but it never worked out. I really liked all your options(I heard the Phil 2s, not the Slims, but they are supposed to be very close). Bet you would be happy with any of the three choices.

post #8 of 31 Old 10-14-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
How much do the slims go for? What driver combos do the Slims use?
post #9 of 31 Old 10-14-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 201
"The Philharmonic “Slims” Tower provides the same clarity and imaging depth of the Philharmonic 3 but with a much smaller footprint and only slightly less bass extension. The RAAL ribbon tweeter is retained, and bass is provided by the 7-inch version of the ScanSpeak Revelator. An excellent 4-inch titanium midrange is used in an open-back configuration. This unit is often used as a full-range driver and features a Neodymium magnet that allows an unobstructed flow of the rear wave. The crossover design and component quality are equal to the Philharmonic 3. The sound of the two speakers can only be distinguished when there is very deep bass content below 35 Hz. Pricing begins at $2700/pair. A version with a premium cabinet built by SalkSound is available for $3050/pair."

http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/folio-me/html/Phil%20Pages/philslim.html

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #10 of 31 Old 10-14-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

I don't think you're going to find someone who has heard both the Slims and the VR22, at least not under conditions that would permit a valid comparison. Where are you located?

Hi Dennis,

I have exchanged a couple of emails with you regarding the Slims in the last few weeks. My last email to you was about the various cabinet options. I was more or less decided on the Slims when I sent you that email. Then I heard about the VR22 and it piqued my interest. Hence this thread.

I live in the bay area in CA.

Thanks...
post #11 of 31 Old 10-14-2013, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with the RAAL upgrade is another comparable option, both in terms the SQ and price. Since you're in the Bay Area, I'm sure you could easily set up in-home auditions for all the candidates, just not side by side.
post #12 of 31 Old 10-14-2013, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post

Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with the RAAL upgrade is another comparable option, both in terms the SQ and price. Since you're in the Bay Area, I'm sure you could easily set up in-home auditions for all the candidates, just not side by side.

Well, I'm afraid that would be a pretty expensive audition for the Slims--trans-continental Fed Ex shipping. Now, if he were located in the Chesapeake Bay area, things would be more manageable.
post #13 of 31 Old 10-14-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:

Well, I'm afraid that would be a pretty expensive audition for the Slims--trans-continental Fed Ex shipping. Now, if he were located in the Chesapeake Bay area, things would be more manageable.

I see how this could have been confusing. I meant in the homes of present owners.
post #14 of 31 Old 10-14-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post

I see how this could have been confusing. I meant in the homes of present owners.

Right--see Dave and Albert both build their speakers in California. That's what cornfused me. But still, I don't think there are any Slims owners out there. Just East Coast and Colorado, I believe.
post #15 of 31 Old 10-14-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:

Right--see Dave and Albert both build their speakers in California. That's what cornfused me. But still, I don't think there are any Slims owners out there. Just East Coast and Colorado, I believe.

Well, maybe a Phil3 audition then?
post #16 of 31 Old 10-14-2013, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

That is a good idea. Has anyone heard both the Phil 3 and the VR22? If anyone has heard just the VR22, please post your impressions. I understand that chances of hearing both is slim. Thanks...
post #17 of 31 Old 10-14-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is a good idea. Has anyone heard both the Phil 3 and the VR22? If anyone has heard just the VR22, please post your impressions. I understand that chances of hearing both is slim. Thanks...

Actually, the Phil 2 would be a closer match. There are plenty of those on the West Coast, but I think they hop skip and jump over the Bay area. All you people in the silicon valley want more expensive speakers than I can provide.
post #18 of 31 Old 10-14-2013, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

I am also considering the Odyssey Lorelei. I learned about it today. This is more difficult than I thought.
post #19 of 31 Old 10-15-2013, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

I am also considering the Odyssey Lorelei. I learned about it today. This is more difficult than I thought.

Since you are open to speakers it seems like I highly recommend the Fritz Carbon 7. Although the bass wont be as deep as your initial choices since bookshlves vs. towers, it sure will be better defined and natural and you wont miss the bottom end because the bass going down to 35hz is so damn good on the Fritz.

Also, the Evolution Acoustics Micro Ones are good. I heard these today with a darTzeeL set-up and man it was magic although the electonics played part of it. These speakers are special just like the Fritz. I have not heard ANY bookshlef speakers that have better bass than the Fritz and I have heard SHITLOAD of speakers.

If you can somehow get the MicroOnes at the orginal price of $2,000 delivered , they are a fantastic deal.

Just to give you an idea, overall, the Micro Ones are in a different league than the KEF LS-50's and the Fritz Carbon 7's are better than the Micro Ones. But, the Carbon's are $500.00 more than the Micro Ones. If you cant get it for $2,000, the Fritz are your best choice for under $2,500 speakers to date.
post #20 of 31 Old 10-15-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

I heard the Fritz LS7's at RMAF this year and was not impressed at all. Perhaps it was a set-up issue but I've heard better sound from a Bose wave radio. Not impressed for a $3,500 pair of bookshelf speakers.

post #21 of 31 Old 10-15-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

I have a pair of Phil Slims and have not heard either the STRT or the VR-22. I would imagine the STRT and the Phil Slims would sound somewhat similar as they are both voiced by Dennis. I love the Phil Slims FWIW but can't compare their sound quality to either the STRT or the VR-22.

I would point out though that the Slim is a three way design while the other two seem to be two way designs. This could result in better midrange clarity as the midrange will be handled by its own driver. The other two would have the same driver(s) sharing midrange and bass duties which might impact the midrange functionality during passages with a decent amount of bass. If you crossover to a sub, the impact would no doubt be less. In addition, the Slims have an open back that would allow you to tailor the sound somewhat depending on how much fill you put in.

post #22 of 31 Old 10-15-2013, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't heard the LS 7's but the Fritz Carbon 7's are as good as you can get for value. Have you heard the C 7's or C'5s? How would you rate them against the Micro Ones?
post #23 of 31 Old 10-15-2013, 09:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

The only Fritz speakers I heard were the LS 7's which I guess are their flagship design.

I'd never heard of Evolution Acoustics but checked out their website. Looks like an AMT tweeter and two 4" midrange drivers. I'd be surprised if they actually did get down to 35hz as their specs claim.

post #24 of 31 Old 10-15-2013, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

The funny thing about the Fritz speakers are the lower line which are the C 7's and C 5's sound better than the LS 7's. Its measured better as well. Also, the similarity between the Fritz and the Evoloution is the Micro Ones which cost 10x less than their MM Two's sound better than the MM Two's LOL. Goes to tell ya that it not really about the price.
post #25 of 31 Old 10-16-2013, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I guess there aren't too many folks on this forum that have listened to the VR22 or the Odyssey Lorelei. I am not interested in bookshelf speakers right now.
post #26 of 31 Old 11-19-2013, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Just to put a closure to this thread, I gave up trying to audition these speakers that I was initially interested in. I heard the B&W CM9/CM10, Sonus Faber Venere 2.5/3.0 and the Revel F206/208. The F208 was the one I liked most but it was costing more than I was planning to spend. So I bought the F206 last week. Quite liking it.
post #27 of 31 Old 11-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulau View Post

Re: the Salk STRTs, have you read through the Salk threads here at AVS as well as at AC?

Here's what I had to say.

That's a great review! Better than some "professional" ones I've read. Hopefully someday I will be able to convince myself to part with the money for some Salks. They are beautiful speakers and I haven't heard one bad review about their sound. Not to mention the coolness factor of having some custom-made speakers!
post #28 of 31 Old 11-19-2013, 10:13 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:

Just to put a closure to this thread, I gave up trying to audition these speakers that I was initially interested in. I heard the B&W CM9/CM10, Sonus Faber Venere 2.5/3.0 and the Revel F206/208. The F208 was the one I liked most but it was costing more than I was planning to spend. So I bought the F206 last week. Quite liking it.

Glad to see you found some speakers you trialed and liked....................hope you enjoy them for a long while.......
post #29 of 31 Old 11-19-2013, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Congrats, and enjoy!
post #30 of 31 Old 11-19-2013, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
I have nothing but good stuff about Revel, although I have never heard a pair. Congrats! Post pics if you can.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Yamaha Rx V3900bl Receiver , Martinlogan Dynamo 500 Subwoofer Dyn500d
Gear in this thread