Upgrade from Polk Monitor 75t and 25C - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-11-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know Polk doesn't get that much love but the Polk Monitor Series II are the only speaker line I have known and I have been pleased (ignorance is bliss, right?), but the internet has told me I can do better. I have a 7.1 system right now:
Monitor 75Ts - fronts
Monitor 25C - center
Monitor 40 - sides
Monitor 30 - rear
Klipsch SW-350 - sub

Emotiva XPA-3 powering my LCR
Yamaha RX-A1020 doing the processing and the sides/rears

My room is 16' deep x 11' wide but most of the left side is open. I would like to swap out the fronts and center and then eventually get to the sides and rears. My price range is similar to the Polks - $200 ea, $600 total for the fronts. I really dont care about new or used and if used gets me more for my money then I am all for it. I have been told my setup should be very bright but i havent compared it to others so I cant tell. I have listened to others and know that I prefer a neutral to warm sound, I really like the sound of the Def Techs at my local Magnolia store, more so than similarly priced B&Ws if that helps. Some have said the Yammy and Emotiva will produce a bright sound and going with a warm speaker is recommended. My questions are:

A general: do you have a recommendation, used and new?
Is getting a 10 year old (maybe older) speaker going to perform better than some new ones. For example, if I get 10 year old speakers that cost $1500 a pair are they going to be better than some $400 a pair new speakers?
The Polks I have now are full range floorstanding beasts, will I loose something by going to some higher end bookshelves? I know the floorstandings produce more bass but will my sub or a different sub be able to fill in for the lack of bass?

Lots of questions I know, but I am fairly new to this and am thirsty for knowledge, thank you for any guidance smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-11-2013, 08:19 PM

Liked: 10
I am in the same boat as you, I have a 15 year old large Klipsch setup. I am looking to go smaller with bookshelf speakers myself. From what I get it is highly debated if you would lose a lot going from towers to bookshelf speakers, but to me I don't think you would. I never felt I got that much bass from my towers which contain two 8" drivers. My brother in-laws Def Tech SM350 bookshelf speakers sound better and fuller to me. Personally as of right now I am looing at Polk rti a3, Energy SB-20, and Def Tech SM-450. They are all larger bookshelf speakers that should be able to go below 80Hz which seems to be the recommended cross over point for your sub.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-12-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 592
At $600 dollars you really don't have many option to upgrade. The RTi8 are $400.00 from the Polk eBay site. The center channel would be the CSi5, which is $225 from Polk eBay site. That would set you at $625.00. The CSi8 is the same as the CSiA5, and the CSi5 is the same as CSiA6.

The other question is, do you want to have towers or bookshelf? Bookshelf are cheaper depending on the brand. That's if you want to go outside of Polk. I currently have a similar set up. I've got the Monitor 70 II and 25C for the front. The surrounds are Jamos S426, and surround rear are Energy EF-500.

I really like the looks of the Emptek, but just for the towers it will cost $695, and the large center channel $395. I've been looking at the Arx and Swan speakers too, but I usually keep coming back to Polk since it appears they are probably the best for the $$. Unfortunately, it has been pretty difficult to sell my Monitors. So, I am thinking of selling my Jamos S426 and the EF-500 with the Monitor 25C center for $350. That should help me to get the CSi8, and I should be able to buy the CSi5.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #4 of 11 Old 10-12-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedAV View Post

My price range is similar to the Polks - $200 ea, $600 total for the fronts.

I don't understand how you expect to upgrade if you are only going to spend the same as you did on the Polks. The Polk Monitors are a very good value for the money. The only way you might end up with an upgrade is if you find speakers you like the sound of better for the same money. Otherwise, you could up spending money on something you don't even like as much.

If you want a definite upgrade for $600, get a Rythmik LV12R subwoofer. It will blow away your Klipsch in overall performance smile.gif
Geoff4RFC likes this.

post #5 of 11 Old 10-14-2013, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I don't understand how you expect to upgrade if you are only going to spend the same as you did on the Polks. The Polk Monitors are a very good value for the money. The only way you might end up with an upgrade is if you find speakers you like the sound of better for the same money. Otherwise, you could up spending money on something you don't even like as much.

If you want a definite upgrade for $600, get a Rythmik LV12R subwoofer. It will blow away your Klipsch in overall performance smile.gif

+1

You would be making more of a lateral move then upgrading. Upgrading the sub instead would be a fantastic idea, that Rythmik is a great choice and would do a lot more for your SQ.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #6 of 11 Old 10-15-2013, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

To get the money to upgrade I would need to sell the Polks so doing a better sub is kinda off the table frown.gif (for now at least).

A way that I was thinking about upgrading was by going used. For instance a local fellow has some Aperion Verus Grand bookshelves for $350, do you think that would be a lateral move? I was also listening to some B&W and Paradigm bookshelf speakers in the $400 range nearby and they seemed to be better, but that could be because I wanted them to be :/

Still I have to imagine that there are some used speakers in my price range that would be a jump from what I have, am I mistaken in that.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-15-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 277
The Aperion Grands would be a good upgrade in my opinion.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #8 of 11 Old 10-15-2013, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1364
Quote:

To get the money to upgrade I would need to sell the Polks so doing a better sub is kinda off the table frown.gif (for now at least).

A way that I was thinking about upgrading was by going used. For instance a local fellow has some Aperion Verus Grand bookshelves for $350, do you think that would be a lateral move? I was also listening to some B&W and Paradigm bookshelf speakers in the $400 range nearby and they seemed to be better, but that could be because I wanted them to be :/

Still I have to imagine that there are some used speakers in my price range that would be a jump from what I have, am I mistaken in that.

I agree with the lateral move statement. Have you considered saving and moving up the series chain? Maybe the RTiA line, or the RTi line. That is a pretty big upgrade in sound over the Monitors. You have a really decent set up right now as it sounds.

Have you looked into room treatments? How is your front stage arranged?

Having your center all the way forward (if it's on a shelf) so there is nothing to reflect off of is a good place to start. Same with your mains. Are they spaced apart well, pulled away from the wall and toed in at all?

You can create some pretty decent imaging with proper speaker placement and set up.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #9 of 11 Old 10-18-2013, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

I have toed them in and it did make a pretty big difference, The center is below my projector screen about 4 inches off the ground and angled up. Room treatments I haven't done much with yet and I know adding a better sub will make a difference.

I am looking at going to a set of B&W bookshelves, maybe some used 601s or 602s. I have also been considering a pair of Paradigm bookshelves, the Mini Monitors. And then eventually upgrading to a nicer sub to make up for the lost of bass.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Any thoughts on the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1? They seem to be getting some great reviews and have a great price.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-18-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1364
Quote:

I have toed them in and it did make a pretty big difference, The center is below my projector screen about 4 inches off the ground and angled up. Room treatments I haven't done much with yet and I know adding a better sub will make a difference.

I am looking at going to a set of B&W bookshelves, maybe some used 601s or 602s. I have also been considering a pair of Paradigm bookshelves, the Mini Monitors. And then eventually upgrading to a nicer sub to make up for the lost of bass.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Any thoughts on the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1? They seem to be getting some great reviews and have a great price.

Well, I guess it you're not happy with the Polks, a move it is.

For subs, after going through some lower end Onkyo and Energy, I have a pair of Epik Empires. So far that's all I know from an experience point of view. I do know if you pump some power from an external amp, you can get some decent bass out of the 75's of yours, of course nothing like a sub smile.gif

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #11 of 11 Old 10-18-2013, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

I have 200w going to the 75Ts and they do have decent amount of bass but I know a better sub will do better, it's only a little 8". I just recently bought some Def Tech BP6B's and the bipolar design was a total flop in my setup (custom enclosure type thing) but the lower end was much deeper, I know I wont get that with bookshelves but I liked it smile.gif - I had to give the BP6Bs a chance, a local Paul's TV had some floor samples listed for $320 for the PAIR.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor 75t Four Way Ported Floorstanding Speaker , Polk Audio Monitor 25c Two Way Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Monitor40 Series Ii Two Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker Cherry Pair , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Klipsch Sw 350 8 Inch 350 Watt Subwoofer Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page