Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Current Setup
Yamaha RX-A3000 AVR
Polk RTi8 L/R
Polk CSi5 Center
Polk FXi SR / SL (don't recall if they are a4 or a6)
Velodyne Optimum 10" Sub

Sony 4K TV XBR-65X850A
Oppo BDP-103 Media Player

Room Size: 22x18. We sit about 12 (could change it to 10) feet away from the front speakers. Fronts can only be about 2' from the wall max. I would prefer to put them closer than that however.

Center channel needs to be 9.5" tall or less. Width and depth aren't an issue.

Im using my system for HT 95% of the time. Basically I'm not happy with the sound of dialogue (muddy mids) and the fronts arent anything special. I've tried various settings and I think I just want to upgrade the center, which means I'll probably upgrade the fronts too. Money isn't an issue, but I don't want to spend money just for the sake of spending it. I probably wouldn't spend more than $1000 per speaker unless there was a very good reason for doing so. I want to keep using the same AVR and the Velodyne, but I could be convinced to sell everything if there was a good reason for it. Here are a few things I've been considering. Please contribute your own recomendations as well:

1. Replace L/R with Paradigm Studio 20s and CC-590 for Center

2. Replace L/R with MartinLogan ESL's and center with EM-C2. We are both smokers though so I'm not sure if going electrostat is a good idea or not. I do have some pretty heavy duty air filtration in that room.

3. Replace L/R/Sub with Def Tech BP8060ST's and 8060-HD Center. Or I could potentially keep the sub in place If I didn't run LFE to the towers.

4. Replace center with Klipsch RC-62 and L/R with Klipsch Reference Series Bookshelf or Towers

I live pretty far from a store that carries any of these speakers unfortunately. I need your guys help!

Thank you

LG 55EC9300 OLED
2x LG 55EA8800 OLED
Sony 65XBR850A LED LCD 4K
Samsung UN46D8000 LED LCD
Yamaha RX-A3000 + Oppo BDP-103
Martin Logan Motion 40/30/FX + Rhythmic 15" FV15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-12-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
IMO, do yourself a favor and forget DT. By the brands you mention, sounds like you've been visiting BB/Magnolia.

I would suggest either the JBL Studio L series or the newer Studio 500 series. Both have centers less than 9" tall.
Both series have BS and tower models. The 500 series has horn loaded HF compression drivers.
The Studio L are Ti HF domes. Both are excellent systems.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-13-2013, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

IMO, do yourself a favor and forget DT. By the brands you mention, sounds like you've been visiting BB/Magnolia.

I would suggest either the JBL Studio L series or the newer Studio 500 series. Both have centers less than 9" tall.
Both series have BS and tower models. The 500 series has horn loaded HF compression drivers.
The Studio L are Ti HF domes. Both are excellent systems.

I've actually just been reading on the forums, havent been to a magnolia store as we don't have one in the area. I has never heard of DT before last week but it sounds like people on here love them. My concern is people seem to love Polk too and I think they are crap. I'm now leaning towards the ESL's despite being a smoker, not sure how much that will effect them. Some people say it does, others say its not a big deal. The other speakers I'm now somewhat considering are Paradigm 20's. I'll do some reading about the JBL's today, thanks for the suggestion.

If been thinking, if electrostats are so great, why does hardly anyone make them? I only know of ML and SoundLabs that make them currently. Surely it's not just about patents and cost. It has me wondering how great they really are. I also won't be able to keep them 5 feet from the wall. I was hoping for 6 inches but I could put them 24" away if I had to. Probably would make my 4K TV look better being a couple feet closer too.

LG 55EC9300 OLED
2x LG 55EA8800 OLED
post #4 of 6 Old 10-13-2013, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Hi OneStepAhead

You might be interested in the speaker portion of this recommendation. The Ascend Sierra Towers are very highly regarded and are about $1000 per speaker. The only issue is the height of the Sierra Horizon centre channel. Check them out and see what you think.

Other well regarded ID options in your price range are SVS Ultra Speakers and Aperion Audio Verus Grand Series.

The KEF Q900 and matching Q600 centre might also be worth looking into.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-13-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneStepAhead View Post

I've actually just been reading on the forums, havent been to a magnolia store as we don't have one in the area. I has never heard of DT before last week but it sounds like people on here love them. My concern is people seem to love Polk too and I think they are crap. I'm now leaning towards the ESL's despite being a smoker, not sure how much that will effect them. Some people say it does, others say its not a big deal. The other speakers I'm now somewhat considering are Paradigm 20's. I'll do some reading about the JBL's today, thanks for the suggestion.

If been thinking, if electrostats are so great, why does hardly anyone make them? I only know of ML and SoundLabs that make them currently. Surely it's not just about patents and cost. It has me wondering how great they really are. I also won't be able to keep them 5 feet from the wall. I was hoping for 6 inches but I could put them 24" away if I had to. Probably would make my 4K TV look better being a couple feet closer too.

DT were all the rage 12~16 years ago. And when a BB/Magnolia opened 7 miles from my house I checked out their towers...I was not impressed one bit.
I speakers I have here now, I will put up against electrostats any day.
No matter what kind of free standing tower, the farther away from walls, the better the soundstage: farther from the side walls produces a wider soundstage, and farther away from the end wall, the deeper the soundstage.
Having towers forward from the screen does not look bad, imo...had my speakers that way for years.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-14-2013, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. I made a purchase, I'll report back how I like it just incase anyone else is considering a similar upgrade. I ended up buying:

MartinLogan Motion 40's for L/R
MartinLogan Motion 30 for Center

I'll be running these with my Velodyne Optium 10 and Polk FXi A4's for surround. If I'm happy with the ML's I may pick up the Motion 4, 15 or FX for surrounds. Setting up a single Motion 15 or 30 for surround back could work nicely, and use the FX for surround L/R. I never understood the need to have more speakers in the back then you do up front. 6.1 seems to be the ideal setup, or perhaps 8.1 if you used side speakers. 7.1 and 9.1 just seems odd to me.

I have a Zvox 555 Soundbar that absolutely kills my Polk CSi5 on deep vocals. I'm guessing part of the reason is it has a built in powered sub. That made the DT 8060-HD or 8080-HD very tempting as a center, I bet the built in sub really makes for nice vocals from deep voiced actors. If I'm not happy with the ML setup I may try the 8080ST and 8080-HD combo from DT. Too bad the 8080STs look like cheap construction, could use a touch of class.

LG 55EC9300 OLED
2x LG 55EA8800 OLED
Reply Speakers

Tags
Yamaha Rx A3000 7 1 Channel Audio Video Receiver Black , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - A3000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page