Starting fresh - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-12-2013, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi all,

I'm 26 and I'm looking to get into hifi audio.  I'm not new to audio as I have built my own ICE system and own high end headphones.  I'm making the move to home audio.  Currently, I do not own anything expect a HTIB and will start from the ground up.  I'm not sure if I want a 2.1 or 5.1 system.  I'm going to use this setup for audio, tv, xbox one, and movies.  

Possible Speakers: Below $2,000

• B&W 683
  • Paradigm Monitor series
  • Monitor audio RX6, RX8
  • Klipsch RF-82 ii

As for the speakers my brother owns the RF and the cousin owns the B&W.  I'm not sure if I want to own the same pair as them... 

Amp:  Not sure which to get - probably need to decide on speakers first.  I want to get the most out of the speakers and I don't want hard to drive speakers.

AVR: Since I am doing audio and video which receiver should I look at?  When I listen to music I only want the L adn R to be working with the sub.  And when I watch a movie I want all 5 channels working.

I'm going to start off with a 2.1 system and expand from there.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-12-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Since you have built your own amp and headphones, have you looked into DIY speakers? Best price/performance value. I'm not too familiar with DIY speakers, but I understand that there are some kits where you can buy the enclosures (check out Madisound, one of the DIY vendors). So you just have to finish the speaker cabinet the way you want and assemble the speaker smile.gif

There is a DIY forum on AVS where you can learn more.

When you get ready for a sub, best value (other than DIY) are subs from Internet direct vendors SVS Audio, Power Sound Audio, Rythmik, Outlaw Audio, and HSU Research. Their subs greatly outperform subs from traditional speaker companies that you can buy in brick and mortar stores. Research on the AVS subwoofer forum to learn more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsheikh05 View Post

AVR: Since I am doing audio and video which receiver should I look at?  When I listen to music I only want the L adn R to be working with the sub.  And when I watch a movie I want all 5 channels working.

Any AVR will do that smile.gif

post #3 of 4 Old 10-12-2013, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10

Thanks for the reply.  I'm not looking to build my own system.  I want the finish to be clean and timeless and I want to have a resale value if I decide to upgrade in the future.  I really like the piano finish of the RX6/8.

Since I'm starting from the button up I need to purchase the following:

- speakers (I need to demo them first.  Would like the price to be closer to 1.5G)

- Amp

- AVR

- cables, interconnects, etc.

Any advise would be great so I dont' make any mistakes.

post #4 of 4 Old 10-12-2013, 10:27 AM

Liked: 16
I'd check out bipolar fronts. Such as the BP8020ST from Definitive Technology.also check out Polk Audio. They have a lot of different floor standing models

Onkyo TXSR607, Mythos 8 Center, Studio Monitor 350's, Klipsch S-10 surrounds, Bic F12 sub

Epson Home Cinema 8100 Projector
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page