Appropriate Surround Speaker Design/Type - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-12-2013, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I posted this in a different subforum initially, but I think I may have chosen the wrong one based on lack of responses, so I thought I would try here. Apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum to post this question, if this question has been asked before (I did do a search, but could not find the information I'm looking for), or if I've made you read this twice by reposting.

I'm setting up a modest (but hopefully pleasing) sound system in my new home's family room. This will be the primary theatre environment for a while, until I save sufficiently to finish my basement, where I will once again set up a dedicated home theatre room.

My home is open concept, with a relatively large family room (I'd say approximately 20 feet by 30 feet. But being open concept, there is no rear wall opposite the wall where I will be placing my TV. It opens up into the kitchen.

I will be going with a 7.1 setup. Front LCR speakers, subwoofers and rear surround speaker placement is all set (going in-ceiling monopole for rear surround - I understand it's not ideal, but I have no choice and am not too bothered by it).

The question I have is with my left and right surround speakers. I'm going with a combination of PSB Image T6 and C5 for the front stage, so was planning on purchasing the matching S5 surround speakers for the side channels (I get a good discount on PSB Speakers). But the S5 surrounds are of bipole design.

Would the fact that I have no rear wall (close by) have an impact to what I will achieve with bipole surrounds? Do they rely on reflection of sound off the rear walls?

I'm not married to the PSB S5 surrounds and can go with other brands/designs. I just won't get the nice discount on them, but since it's only two speakers we are taking about, I don't mind that much.

Do you folks think I'd be better served by either dipole speakers or monopoles in my room situation?

I should also mention that the surrounds would be used for non-music applications - movies, TV and some gaming - music will be strictly two channel in my setup.

I'll also be using a Denon 4520CI receiver which has Audyssey MultEQ XT32 room correction, if that is relevant.

Any help and advice you folks can provide would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-12-2013, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
From what I've read on some sites, dipole is suggested for side LR surround. Bi Pole is suggested for rear LR surround. In both scenarios, the intention is to diffuse the surround sound. If I were to go either way, I'd be open to options for the rear LR surround (bipole or direct), but I'll definitely like direct firing for side LR surround. My reason, I want to know the direction of the sound, if it is coming from my left or right. At the same time, placing the sides surround 6ft high aiming at each other so there is some sense of diffusion without losing the direction of the sound. This may not be as critical in movies as it is when playing video games. Anyway, that's just my preference. At any rate, I don't think Bipole are good for sides, here is some reference: http://www.polkaudio.com/polk-university/faq/what-is-dipole-and-bipole-and-how-are-they-different

Yamaha RX-V673 | HSU HC-1 MK2 | HSU HB-1 MK2 - LR | Pioneer SP-BS22-SLR | BIC RtR-V44-2 (Presence)
post #3 of 4 Old 10-12-2013, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 55
post #4 of 4 Old 10-14-2013, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice and the link. I did try searching in that thread for an answer to my room specific question, but didn't find my answer....but at the same time, it's possible that my search skills are sub par.

I am definitely leaning towards getting monopoles now. It makes the most sense for my situation. And thinking more about it, I don't seem to mind the directionality of sound coming from my surrounds (I've always had monopoles in the past), so may as well stick to what I know and enjoy!

Thanks again for the help.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page