Need advice: Upgrading from KEF IQ series. Budget ~ 3-4k. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-13-2013, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there. I'm wanting to upgrade my speakers in my home theater. Here's what i have now:

Dedicated HT room with acoustic treatment
KEF speakers: IQ9 for L/R, IQ60c for center, and IQ8DS surrounds
Emotiva XPA-5 Amp (200 wpc, RMS)
SVS PC-12+ Sub

I watch mostly movies, and listen to some music. What I'm really craving is STELLAR dialog and on-screen action. I'm most excited about a new center channel. I'm willing to buy a great center now and add matching L/R and surrounds later, if that's what it takes. I'd say my TOTAL budget for all 5 speakers is 3-4k, but I don't have that all now.

I'd love to spend about $1k each for center, left, and right. I've been doing some research and am interested in:

Aperion Verus Grand center and towers
Paradigm Studio CC-690 center and Studio60 towers
Martin Logan Stage Center and Electromotion ESL towers
The SVS line of speakers

The Aperions seem like a great value, while the Paradigm and ML's are a bit more expensive. I'm willing to save up, though, if it's worth the upgrade. What do you guys think about these options? What do you think about electrostats for HT use?

Also, I haven't looked much into the typical big box brands like Polk, Klipcsh, and even DefTec, but I'm open if you have recommendations.

Thanks!

--
Adam Nyholt
www.nyholt.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-14-2013, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 70
HT people will say stretch your budget just a bit and buy three JTR Noesis 228HT.
Music people will say buy Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon center or stretch your budget a bit and upgrade to RAAL tweeters.
Both groups will say you need a second sub.
Scottyp3 likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-20-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post

HT people will say stretch your budget just a bit and buy three JTR Noesis 228HT.Music people will say buy Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon center or stretch your budget a bit and upgrade to RAAL tweeters.Both groups will say you need a second sub.

Thank you! Both look like great options. The ascends sure are prettier, but that's not most important to me. Those JTRs look like large bookshelf speakers. What kind of stand do you recommend using for them?

Adam N.
Sent from my iPhone

--
Adam Nyholt
www.nyholt.com
post #4 of 6 Old 10-20-2013, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnyholt View Post

Thank you! Both look like great options. The ascends sure are prettier, but that's not most important to me. Those JTRs look like large bookshelf speakers. What kind of stand do you recommend using for them?

I find that so refreshing to read!

Both are great options, but entirely different in their execution. Given your movie priority and the lesser importance you assign to speaker aethetics, the JTR's are way out in front for you. Their combination of high sensitivity and high power handling from their quality pro sound drivers make for a clear and dynamic speaker that maintain their composure at very high SPL's (if needed). They're ideal for movies, but many new Noesis owners report rediscovering their music collection as a result, so they're far from one-dimensional. Their outright performance would slaughter all other speakers mentioned in this thread so far.

Three JTR Noesis 228HT come to $3600 plus shipping, so not such a stretch.

Re: stands. Many JTR owners order matching stands from Jeff (designer/builder/owner) that effectively turn JTRs into floorstanders. The below pic is just the last one on the JTR thread and shows the larger Noesis 212HT, but gives you the idea. The stands are made to your desired height. Horizontal centre channel stands are also available and are made to your specified height and uptilt angle.

A word of caution however Adam - you will need to consider a sub augmentation if you want sub-bass to keep pace with the JTR's ultimate SPL capabilities. smile.gif
post #5 of 6 Old 10-20-2013, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post

HT people will say stretch your budget just a bit and buy three JTR Noesis 228HT.
Music people will say buy Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon center or stretch your budget a bit and upgrade to RAAL tweeters.
Both groups will say you need a second sub.

+1 Those two setups are sweet spots in your budget range for both excellent HT and music listening. You really can't go wrong with either wink.gif
post #6 of 6 Old 11-04-2013, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

I find that so refreshing to read!

Both are great options, but entirely different in their execution. Given your movie priority and the lesser importance you assign to speaker aethetics, the JTR's are way out in front for you. Their combination of high sensitivity and high power handling from their quality pro sound drivers make for a clear and dynamic speaker that maintain their composure at very high SPL's (if needed). They're ideal for movies, but many new Noesis owners report rediscovering their music collection as a result, so they're far from one-dimensional. Their outright performance would slaughter all other speakers mentioned in this thread so far.

Three JTR Noesis 228HT come to $3600 plus shipping, so not such a stretch.

Re: stands. Many JTR owners order matching stands from Jeff (designer/builder/owner) that effectively turn JTRs into floorstanders. The below pic is just the last one on the JTR thread and shows the larger Noesis 212HT, but gives you the idea. The stands are made to your desired height. Horizontal centre channel stands are also available and are made to your specified height and uptilt angle.

A word of caution however Adam - you will need to consider a sub augmentation if you want sub-bass to keep pace with the JTR's ultimate SPL capabilities. smile.gif

Thanks Giegar! I'm pretty sold on the JTR's, I think. Do you think simply adding a second SVS sub to match the one I have will do the trick?

Also, once concern I have is the size of my room. It's pretty small, and I have two rows of seats. It's very tricky for me to find speaker placement that is ideal for most sitting positions, so I need a speaker with a large sweet spot. Do the JTRs fit the bill? (My room is 14x13.5'. I've attached a diagram below).

--
Adam Nyholt
www.nyholt.com
Reply Speakers

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Paradigm Studio Cc 690 Center Channel Speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page