Bozak LS-400 - 30+ years old and still sound great - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-15-2013, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was at a local audio store and they had these old guys laying around for $300 and when I asked the guy about them he lighted up and said I had to listen to them. So he brought them over to the listening room with a bunch of Monitor Audio bookshelves and towers. They actually outperformed a lot of the sub $1k/pair Monitors and as far as mids and lows they outperformed some higher priced Monitors. The only thing they lacked in was the highs, seemed just a little dark but I am sure that a small tweeter upgrade could make a big difference. I was really blown away by how good a 30+ year old speaker with paper cones could sound. My favorite part about them: they had a knob to select between mellow, normal and bright. (they sounded best on bright because of slight lack in detail)

Just thought I would share my experience smile.gif Anyone else try these or similar before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-17-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
When you think about it, the basic construction and electronics associated with speakers has not changed that much in 30 years. The biggest detriment to older speakers was the use of "foam surrounds" to connect the speaker cone to the speaker frame. They turn to dust over time. Speakers with good rubber type surrounds can, and do, still sound great. A great 30 or 40 year old speaker can still be a great speaker today - not all are, but many have survived the rigors of time very well.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-17-2013, 12:54 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Bozak was always about woofers and Most Bozak speakers had bigger woofers than the other folks. I bet they sound dark because they have more powerful bass, not because the tweeters are weak. I once had a dark sounding set of speakers that had 2 12" drivers and a 12" passive radiator per side. The thing had 4 tweeters and still couldn't keep up with all that bass.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page