Building a House - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 10-16-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33

Hi, I am a newbie here...so I apologize for my lack of knowledge. I'm hoping to change that...it's why I'm here. 

We are looking at building a house within the next two years and want to include a dedicated theater room. This room will be used almost entirely for TV and movies. We very rarely (never) sit in the house and listen to music. We are having the house plans drawn up  now. I was looking to make the theater room 15 X 24 with a 9ft ceiling. We are looking at two rows of 4 seats. 

My goal is to build the room out with quality components and speakers but not break the bank. I would like to get to a quality level that sounds good to most people. Once you get to a level where you have to have a trained ear to know the difference, you are beyond where we want to go. We aren't concerned at all with the prestige of owning one brand over another. We are concerned only with actual performance. 

I started my speaker research looking at Klipsch products because that is a name that I'm familiar with. The prices of the Reference series are attractive but several posts on this forum indicate that it isn't even in the same league as the THX series. Many people say that the THX series at 12k+ sounds as good as much higher priced systems. 12k is a lot of money for most of us. Would this be the best use of 12k for someone not experienced in "tuning" a theater system? I read good things about Epik Empire subs and they are priced reasonably. Would it be better to mix and match speakers and subs to get the most value for the money? It seems that most of the stores are biased toward particular brands and you feel like they are pushing you toward certain products because they are "better for them" to sell based on margins or other incentives that they get from manufacturers. I read reviews about Paradigm products being unbelievable but their high end stuff is very expensive. 

Any advice that can get me pointed in the right direction...to ask better questions in the future... would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-16-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post

I started my speaker research looking at Klipsch products because that is a name that I'm familiar with.
Generally a solid choice for HT.
Quote:

The prices of the Reference series are attractive but several posts on this forum indicate that it isn't even in the same league as the THX series.
People debate the RF-7ii versus THX all the time; they are generally in the same league. But RF-7 are top-of-the-line Reference and you might have been considering lesser options.

The best band for the buck in Klipsch (if that is what you want) are used Heritage speakers. If you used the 15-foot wall, a trio of La Scala behind an acoustically transparent screen would be very affordable and high in performance. If you placed the screen along that 24-foot wall, then a pair of Klipschorns in the corners with a single La Scala center would be sweet. Surrounds can be either the Heresy or something in the pro lineup (KPT-8001, KPT-1201; I got some used KPT-100 real cheap). Many people would agree (but not everybody!) that this would be better than the THX system for far cheaper. You can find La Scala for $1000 a pair and Klipschorns for $2000. Might be too ugly for you (I love their look personally) but if you hide them behind an AT screen it's a non-issue.
Quote:

I read good things about Epik Empire subs and they are priced reasonably. Would it be better to mix and match speakers and subs to get the most value for the money?
Absolutely. The best bang for the buck in subwoofers is to DIY. Otherwise there are plenty of worthy internet-direct companies such as Epik.
SanchoPanza and Romans828 like this.

post #3 of 17 Old 10-16-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:

Hi, I am a newbie here...so I apologize for my lack of knowledge. I'm hoping to change that...it's why I'm here. 

We are looking at building a house within the next two years and want to include a dedicated theater room. This room will be used almost entirely for TV and movies. We very rarely (never) sit in the house and listen to music. We are having the house plans drawn up  now. I was looking to make the theater room 15 X 24 with a 9ft ceiling. We are looking at two rows of 4 seats. 

My goal is to build the room out with quality components and speakers but not break the bank. I would like to get to a quality level that sounds good to most people. Once you get to a level where you have to have a trained ear to know the difference, you are beyond where we want to go. We aren't concerned at all with the prestige of owning one brand over another. We are concerned only with actual performance. 

I started my speaker research looking at Klipsch products because that is a name that I'm familiar with. The prices of the Reference series are attractive but several posts on this forum indicate that it isn't even in the same league as the THX series. Many people say that the THX series at 12k+ sounds as good as much higher priced systems. 12k is a lot of money for most of us. Would this be the best use of 12k for someone not experienced in "tuning" a theater system? I read good things about Epik Empire subs and they are priced reasonably. Would it be better to mix and match speakers and subs to get the most value for the money? It seems that most of the stores are biased toward particular brands and you feel like they are pushing you toward certain products because they are "better for them" to sell based on margins or other incentives that they get from manufacturers. I read reviews about Paradigm products being unbelievable but their high end stuff is very expensive. 

Any advice that can get me pointed in the right direction...to ask better questions in the future... would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

would be happy to help you with speaker selection and pricing. I understand that it is just for budget purposes right now, but it would give you a starting point so that you can at least figure out what works for you and what does not work. Are you talking projector setup here?
Romans828 likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #4 of 17 Old 10-16-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, we will very likely go with a projector. If I'm going to have a dedicated theater room, I want the screen to be large (120 -150 inches). We have a 65 inch plasma in our living room. It is nice but doesn't give you that movie theater feel. Thanks to everyone for the replies!

post #5 of 17 Old 10-16-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, 120-inch is awesome. That's what I have and sit under 10 feet away from it too!

post #6 of 17 Old 10-16-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Yes. I would like to go with one of the acoustically transparent screens so that the front speakers are hidden. 

post #7 of 17 Old 10-16-2013, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 235
What's your budget for speakers/subs?
post #8 of 17 Old 10-16-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:

Thanks in Advance!
Start by looking at some of the "build" threads here: http://www.avsforum.com/f/19/dedicated-theater-design-construction

Stay well away from Epik subs. They're basically no longer in business and don't have any current products to sell anyway. Worse yet, their previous subs have had significant amp problems and Epik is not responding to service and warranty issues. Go to the Official Epik Thread. Start about here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/885079/official-epik-subwoofer-thread/19290

Klipsch Reference Series is a good product. The THX line, which is also excellent, can be bought for well under MSRP, so don't let that put you off.

Craig
psgcdn likes this.

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #9 of 17 Old 10-16-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

I don't have a set budget at this point. I will wait until I can afford quality before I buy something that will annoy me when I use it.  We will have to by a screen, projector, receiver, possibly acoustic panels, amps, seating etc. I'm trying to get a handle on the speakers because there seems to be more choices and price ranges there than the other areas. Figuring out how much all of this will cost without sacrificing quality is one of my primary goals for inquiring here. The comments about EPIK struggling as a  company is definitely good information. Those kinds of things make me want to lean toward one of the better known companies. Thanks again for the great information!

post #10 of 17 Old 10-16-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Stay well away from Epik subs. They're basically no longer in business and don't have any current products to sell anyway. Worse yet, their previous subs have had significant amp problems and Epik is not responding to service and warranty issues. Go to the Official Epik Thread. Start about here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/885079/official-epik-subwoofer-thread/19290
Ouch! Good catch!

post #11 of 17 Old 10-23-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Start by looking at some of the "build" threads here: http://www.avsforum.com/f/19/dedicated-theater-design-construction

Quote:
Klipsch Reference Series is a good product. The THX line, which is also excellent, can be bought for well under MSRP, so don't let that put you off.

I see a lot of posts that say stuff like "don't pay full price" or "can be bought for well under MSRP" like this post. However, when I look at the online "certified" sellers, the price is almost always full retail price. Does anyone have any suggestions for sellers offering better pricing. I would only be interested in new/undamaged products...unless the damage is stuff like small scratches etc. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
post #12 of 17 Old 10-23-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Pick up the phone & CALL for the deals.

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #13 of 17 Old 10-23-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 282
One thing you may want to consider is isolating the theater room from the rest of the house. I used Kinetics Iso-Klips to suspend the walls and ceiling (basement floor is concrete, thankfully) but there are other products that allow you to build a room within a room. I also installed a Fujitsu Minisplit unit to isolate my room from the house HVAC ducting, a significant source of sound transmission. I think the net cost was about $5-10k extra, about 5-10% of the total cost to finish our (fairly large) basement.
Romans828 likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #14 of 17 Old 10-23-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Pick up the phone & CALL for the deals.

I would sure like to SanchoPanza. I was looking more for suggestions on WHO to call. Does anyone have suggestions for good/reputable sellers of the Klipsch THX ultra 2 and Reference 7 II series systems?

post #15 of 17 Old 10-23-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

DonH50...Great information. Thank You!

post #16 of 17 Old 10-23-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Call AVS Sales 5, who posted to your thread above.

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #17 of 17 Old 11-05-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

would be happy to help you with speaker selection and pricing. I understand that it is just for budget purposes right now, but it would give you a starting point so that you can at least figure out what works for you and what does not work. Are you talking projector setup here?

We are still drawing up the plans but it looks like the room will be 16 X 27 with a 9 foot ceiling. I was hoping to go a little wider but the builder seems to think that will be an issue since it is on the second floor (while avoiding a vaulted ceiling). Our budget is going be around $20,000 dollars for everything in the finished room. This includes speakers/subs, seating, screen, receiver, projector and any necessary acoustic panels. I'm leaning toward 7 Palliser 41946 Bullet's for the seating...since they will fit in the more narrow room. That would be around $5,500...leaving around $14,500 for the rest or the stuff. Any recommendations on the best bang for the buck for the rest of the stuff would be greatly appreciated. 

Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page