Can you Bi-wire backwards? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-16-2013, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

I am not looking to see if this will improve sound. More to make sure I don't damage anything.

I have a old set of monster cables that has two plugs on one side and four on the other side. two for low pass and two for high pass. It used to be connected to speakers with two binding post and then other side was on the amp. The new speakers don't have bi-wire posts. Can I reverse the cables? So that two sets connect to the amp in Bi-wire mode and then one set to the speakers?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-16-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo View Post

.........................connect to the amp in Bi-wire mode ......................................................

Not sure what your "amp" is, here.

Can you elaborate as to what you mean by "connect to the amp in Bi-wire mode"? Does your amp have dual, bi-wire-ready outputs (a few do)? If so, then yes, it is OK to connect these cables to your speakers this way. The amp's dual outputs are simply a pair of parallel outputs off of the same amp.

BUT, if you mean your amp's (is it an AVR?) "bi-amp mode" then NO, do NOT connect the speakers this way. They would probably go into a protect mode if you did it, but you risk shorting your amps.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #3 of 7 Old 10-16-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
Quote:

Can I reverse? So that two sets connect to the amp in Bi-wire mode and then one set to the speakers?
Electrically it all amounts to the same thing, a parallel connection. And that's why bi-wiring doesn't do anything to improve your sound.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-16-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have a Sherbourn SR-8100 and I can set the back surrounds to Bi-wrie mode. If I connect the cables to both of these and the speaker side only has two will that work?

post #5 of 7 Old 10-17-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

I have a Sherbourn SR-8100 and I can set the back surrounds to Bi-wrie mode. If I connect the cables to both of these and the speaker side only has two will that work?
I think you will let all the magic smoke out of the Sherbourn if you do this. That is bi-AMP mode, not bi-WIRE mode.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-17-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

I have a Sherbourn SR-8100 and I can set the back surrounds to Bi-wrie mode.............

NO, as jdcrox said, you can set the back surround amps to a "Bi-amp mode", NOT a "Bi-wire mode". In a VERY unfortunate choice of wording, you set the Sherbourn's Front channels to "Bi-wire" in order to assign the surround back amps to bi-amp duty.

If you use your cables to "bi-wire backwards", as you describe, you will, at best, cause the AVR to go into a 'protection mode' and at worst could damage your amps and possibly your speakers. Because you'd be bi-amping backwards, not bi-wiring backwards.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #7 of 7 Old 10-20-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok,

Thanks you. That's what I thought but I figured I'd check to make sure. 

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page