Advice: Bookshelf speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 10-17-2013, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let me start of by saying I have been reading old threads off and on for about 6 months.

I am looking for some bookshelf speakers for movies and some music while my basement is being finished, after that they will be for music mostly.
Most of my equipment is older, been out of the scene for awhile. The new speakers will have a Sunfire True MKII for the base so take that into your suggestions.

I ordered a set of B&W 685's from Best Buy the first of September and they refunded my payment a couple days ago. With all the reading I have done I want to go out to a few Audio shops and listen to some different ones.

Give me some speakers in the $600 - $1100 range that you like. I have had Polk, PSB, Paradigmn and I have liked all for different reasons. None of the shops I bought from in the 90's are still open, I read here about RBH (They are about an hour away from me, close to audio dealers I plan to visit). Not seen prices for them though, I thought I read they have a cheaper line?

Sorry for a long post, I hope you can give me a few ideas.

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-17-2013, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
For your price range, KEF LS-50 are your best bet. Go visit the KEF LS-50 thread here on AVS, i posted a link a few days ago asking for $1,150 shipped brand new from a internet company. They have 30 day money back guarantee.
post #3 of 18 Old 10-17-2013, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Those KEF look really neat! The only dealer around here has no showroom but I think I would like them!

Thank you!
post #4 of 18 Old 10-17-2013, 10:04 PM

They sound great upto about 20 x15 room.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-17-2013, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

My room is about 16'W x 24'D, starts off as an 8' ceiling and goes to about 20' half way through.

I do have floor standing speakers but can not use them in this area. I have wall cutouts that we have our TV and decor in.

Looking for something to fit in and give good sound.

Looking tonight and the KEF ls50 & monitor Audio RX2 are looking good to me. Still need a listen, any other I should check?

BTW These speakers are going in a wall cut out, 2' deep.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-18-2013, 12:45 AM

I've got B&W CM1's which are great for a smaller room. 

post #7 of 18 Old 10-18-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Look into Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 and Philharmonitors. These are two well known Internet direct dealers and are popular speakers on AVS in your price range.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #8 of 18 Old 10-18-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
A guy I work with has some RBHs and raves about them but he got a really good deal because he knows the owner. Check out the Ascend's like CEL4145 mentioned. I have their CBM-170s that I am still using as my main speakers and they blow me away. Those Sierra's get really good reviews.
post #9 of 18 Old 10-18-2013, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20

I have to agree ascend sierras{I own 2 pair, one with tweet upgrade one without}, Phil bookshelfs {haven't heard these but I haven't heard a bad thing about them}, Carnegie csb1's {$400 sale rite now, I have a pair and like them a lot}, Wharfedale Dentons {music direct has some demos for $800, I bought mine there, they are awesome, and will be great in a 2ch music rig}, Epos Epic 2's {I love mine, hard to find to demo}, there are so many good bookshelfs out there.   

HT-Emotiva UMC200 and XPA5, Ascend 340se front stage, 200se surrounds, Dual HSU VTF2's
Bedroom music-jolida 202 integrated & Tekton Lores
Formal parlor music- XPA2 & XDA2, Wharfedale Evo2-40's, dual WD sw subs, pure i20
Guest parlor-Parasound 2100 outlaw 2200 monos, csb1 bookshelfs, dual SVS sb12nsd subs
post #10 of 18 Old 10-19-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Go with the Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1's. they will blow those other speakers completely out of the water as they are a huge value for the price. You would have to spend over $2,000.00 to beat them, at a minimum!
post #11 of 18 Old 10-19-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
+1
Great options at two different price points - Ascend Sierra-1's or KEF LS-50's. You can't go wrong with either - both are excellent for both HT and music. (Caveat, I haven't heard the Philharmonics.)
post #12 of 18 Old 10-19-2013, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The sierra 2 should be comming out in a month or so, if you could wait to see what Dave has to offer.
post #13 of 18 Old 10-21-2013, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

I do have time to wait, as I am still looking for a receiver. I have a local dealer that says he will have the Monitor Audio Silvers in soon and I would like to listen to them.

He also has some Wisdom Audio LS3's that I have to listen to!!

I think the Ascend and KEF's are at the top of my list so far.
post #14 of 18 Old 10-22-2013, 08:52 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Go with the Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1's. they will blow those other speakers completely out of the water as they are a huge value for the price. You would have to spend over $2,000.00 to beat them, at a minimum!

Not saying that the Sierras aren't great speakers because they are, but you really should hear more speakers before making a statement like that so that it doesn't come across as sheer fanboyism.

For example, the Swan D2.1 SEs cost hundreds less than the Sierra-1s, yet was picked over the Sierras overall by a panel of listeners in a blind, level matched comparison some years back. Also, Soundstage has measured both the Sierra-1s and the NHT Classic Threes (which can also be bought for less than Sierras) at the Canadian NRC so apples to apples measurements of them can be compared, and as good as the Sierras measured, the NHT Threes bested them overall.

Not to even mention that other speakers going up to the $2K price point opens up a whole other realm far to vast to delve into here.
post #15 of 18 Old 10-22-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Electra Glide View Post

Not saying that the Sierras aren't great speakers because they are, but you really should hear more speakers before making a statement like that so that it doesn't come across as sheer fanboyism.

For example, the Swan D2.1 SEs cost hundreds less than the Sierra-1s, yet was picked over the Sierras overall by a panel of listeners in a blind, level matched comparison some years back. Also, Soundstage has measured both the Sierra-1s and the NHT Classic Threes (which can also be bought for less than Sierras) at the Canadian NRC so apples to apples measurements of them can be compared, and as good as the Sierras measured, the NHT Threes bested them overall.

Not to even mention that other speakers going up to the $2K price point opens up a whole other realm far to vast to delve into here.

Actually I have compared my Sierra-1's to dozens of other speakers. My Sierra-1's have the RAAL tweeter upgrade, just so you know, but I ran them stock for several years.
RicardoJoa likes this.
post #16 of 18 Old 10-22-2013, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20

The sierras are great speakers, I own a set with the raal and one set without, plus a center {never took it out of the box}...  But there are speakers I like better for under $2000, I just got my carnegie csb1's and love them, I would say they have better highs, and the mids are on course with the sierras, but a better sound overall, and you can get them on sale rite now for 1/2 price...  I paired mine with a set of sb12 nsd subs for a 2.2 music system and they sound amazing, the entire system cost me under $2500 with a pair of outlaw 2200's, and a parasound 2100 preamp, that system would be pretty much impossible to beat for that type of investment, the output, sound stage, overall feel is far beyond anything you can buy for -$2500....

Everyone likes there own stuff, obviously you picked it and paid for it, I own at least 15 pairs of bookshelfs, a lot of which are ascends 

ascends - 2 pairs of 340's,1 pr 200's, 1 pr 170's, 2 340 centers, a sierra center, 2 pairs of sierras

wharfedales- 1 pair evo2-10's, 1 pr evo2-08's, 1 pr diamond 10.2's, and one pair of the new dentons {awesome bookshelfs}

Epos epic 2's

Tad tsm 2201's

the Csb1's 

and a bunch more, oh and I just got the behringer truths with the ribbon tweeters didn't even take them home yet, still at my office...  I don't have them all setup but move stuff around a lot and try new combos, lol...

The ascends are nice, but there are others out there that are nice too, I hear great things about the philharmonitors {ill have a set soon enough}, salks, and the mmg's all are on my list...  I love bookshelfs, I own a few sets of towers {tekton lores, evo2-40's, jade 5's, and a couple others}, but really could live with just bookshelfs everywhere....

HT-Emotiva UMC200 and XPA5, Ascend 340se front stage, 200se surrounds, Dual HSU VTF2's
Bedroom music-jolida 202 integrated & Tekton Lores
Formal parlor music- XPA2 & XDA2, Wharfedale Evo2-40's, dual WD sw subs, pure i20
Guest parlor-Parasound 2100 outlaw 2200 monos, csb1 bookshelfs, dual SVS sb12nsd subs
post #17 of 18 Old 10-22-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Electra Glide View Post

+1. I'd go for the KEF LS-50's if I were you.
post #18 of 18 Old 10-23-2013, 08:45 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Actually I have compared my Sierra-1's to dozens of other speakers. My Sierra-1's have the RAAL tweeter upgrade, just so you know, but I ran them stock for several years.

Then they are no longer Sierra-1s, and it likely pushed the price of them up close to the $2K price point. wink.gif
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page