Surround Sound 7.1 HELP PLEASE! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-18-2013, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hello,

We are finishing our basement and adding a home theater area. It will be a open area. Left side of the room will be the home theater with the screen being on the front side of the wall and right side of the room will have very small minibar adjacent to the stairs coming down to the basement.

We are planning to install 7.1 surround. the back 2 speakers will be on the duct work boxing on the ceiling  that is right behind the sofa. the middle 2 will be on the wall (one will be on the stairs that comes down to basement). The front 3 can be either on the wall or on the floor, I dont have a preference what ever will give best bang for the buck.

I really need help deciding the system. My budget for the speakers is around $600 at most $700, 4 of the speakers will have to be on wall or in wall and the front 3 can be anywhere. I am "speaker ignorant" and need help deciding what would be the best combination of speakers? I saw Definitive Technology ProCinema600 Speaker 5.1 speaker for $600, can I add 2 more cheap speakers on back to make the system 7.1? Or should I go with Onkyo 7.1 or is there a mix and match I can do so that the front 3 can be on the floor.

The basement contractors will be starting on Monday so I need to make the decision quickly.

Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-18-2013, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Andrew Jones Pioneer bookshelf speakers would be good
Cambridge Audio S30 would be great

Setups:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old 10-19-2013, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick response valtyr.

Are these 2 recommended as the back speakers to combine with Definitive 5.1?  I am assuming bookshelf speakers can be mounted on the wall (close to ceiling), is my assumption right?

For this budget, is there any other speakers or combinations that would be better other than using Definitive 5.1?

Thanks!

olletsoc likes this.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-19-2013, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknewbee View Post

Hello,

We are finishing our basement and adding a home theater area. It will be a open area. Left side of the room will be the home theater with the screen being on the front side of the wall and right side of the room will have very small minibar adjacent to the stairs coming down to the basement.

We are planning to install 7.1 surround. the back 2 speakers will be on the duct work boxing on the ceiling  that is right behind the sofa. the middle 2 will be on the wall (one will be on the stairs that comes down to basement). The front 3 can be either on the wall or on the floor, I dont have a preference what ever will give best bang for the buck.

I really need help deciding the system. My budget for the speakers is around $600 at most $700, 4 of the speakers will have to be on wall or in wall and the front 3 can be anywhere. I am "speaker ignorant" and need help deciding what would be the best combination of speakers? I saw Definitive Technology ProCinema600 Speaker 5.1 speaker for $600, can I add 2 more cheap speakers on back to make the system 7.1? Or should I go with Onkyo 7.1 or is there a mix and match I can do so that the front 3 can be on the floor.

The basement contractors will be starting on Monday so I need to make the decision quickly.

Thank you for your help.

The Pioneer Speakers are some of the few that will fit your budget. And I would spend money on fewer but better speakers. I think starting with a 5.1 system could be a better choice.

BTW, how big is the space?
post #5 of 10 Old 10-19-2013, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

The hall width is 20 ft and length 30 feet. The seating will be 18 feet from the screen and there will be a vent boxing right above it and projector will be right in front of the vent box (12 feet behind the couch will be open area).

The Home Theater area width is 12 feet, from stairs to the Home Theater area the gap is 8 feet (total 20 feet wide hall).

This  is the configuration I am guessing would work.

1. Front 2 speakers should it be on the wall or floor (12 feet apart)?

2. Center speaker on the floor?

3. Back speakers on the vent box (18 feet from the screen, 12 feet apart))? or should they  be few feet behind the seating, in the open area or on the back wall?

4. Middle speakers around 10 feet from the screen (20 feet apart)?

these two 5.1 seem like good buy for the budget, right?

Energy Take Classic 5.1 5.1 CH Premium Home Theater System

Definitive Technology ProCinema600

We will be mainly using it for movie and games. It wont be used very frequently.

thank you!!

post #6 of 10 Old 10-19-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The hall width is 20 ft and length 30 feet. The seating will be 18 feet from the screen and there will be a vent boxing right above it and projector will be right in front of the vent box (12 feet behind the couch will be open area).

The Home Theater area width is 12 feet, from stairs to the Home Theater area the gap is 8 feet (total 20 feet wide hall).

This  is the configuration I am guessing would work.
1. Front 2 speakers should it be on the wall or floor (12 feet apart)?
2. Center speaker on the floor?
3. Back speakers on the vent box (18 feet from the screen, 12 feet apart))? or should they  be few feet behind the seating, in the open area or on the back wall?
4. Middle speakers around 10 feet from the screen (20 feet apart)?

these two 5.1 seem like good buy for the budget, right?
Energy Take Classic 5.1 5.1 CH Premium Home Theater System
Definitive Technology ProCinema600

We will be mainly using it for movie and games. It wont be used very frequently.

thank you!!

That is really a very large space to use something as small as the two systems you have mentioned.

I would start with a couple of towers for fronts, then add a center, a sub and then finally surrounds.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-19-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

should all these be of same speaker lines or companies? how do we make sure speakers are compatible? thanks!

post #8 of 10 Old 10-19-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

should all these be of same speaker lines or companies? how do we make sure speakers are compatible? thanks!

You want the front three to match timbre.

Rears and subs can come from different companies.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-20-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, I just happened to come across this post

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484738/pair-of-pioneer-sp-fs51-lr-150

Would this pioneer be a good buy for what I am looking for? What would be a good receiver to match this?

Thanks!!

post #10 of 10 Old 10-20-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Don't make the mistake of spending to little money and having to upgrade everything. You have a big space to fill and need to have a good system or you may not be happy for very long after the budget price wears off. The used market is an alternative, and better systems can be obtained for the same budget.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page