3.5mm Audio Extension Cable problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-21-2013, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Greetings everyone.

So I purchased some 3.5mm audio extension cables (http://www.cmple.com/p-210-stereo-audio-headphone-extension-cable-35mm-12-ft.aspx) and I have been experiencing some problems.

When playing audio, I noticed that I can hear the left channel (and a faint right channel) from the left speaker.  

However, I can hear both left and right channels clearly on the right speaker.

Is this something that can be fixed?  Or is it simply a bad cable?  I purchased 3 of these cables, and they all respond the same way.

If I plug in my speakers or headphones directly into the headphone jack, I hear the the channels perfectly (left and right are isolated appropriately).

Sorry if I am posting in the wrong area.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-21-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
If you plug in your headphones directly and they sound fine then you have a bad extension cable.

buy some from another vendor, maybe Monoprice.com
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021819&p_id=10149&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021808&p_id=649&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Afro GT
post #3 of 5 Old 10-21-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks!

It looks like I might have to buy a new one.  Just curious though, does anyone know the 'technical' reasons why I might hear both channels on one speaker?  I'm curious because I was thinking about fixing it somehow...  Is it because some contact is not being made?

post #4 of 5 Old 10-21-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
I've purchased the cheap monoprice expansion cable before and never had any problems.

Since it looks like you paid 79 cents for your cable I wouldn't even analyze why they don't work. I would suspect poor quality. Just throw them away once you get the other cables in.

Afro GT
post #5 of 5 Old 10-21-2013, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJHang View Post

Thanks!

It looks like I might have to buy a new one.  Just curious though, does anyone know the 'technical' reasons why I might hear both channels on one speaker?  I'm curious because I was thinking about fixing it somehow...  Is it because some contact is not being made?

It could be that the TRS contacts aren't lining up with the like contacts in the other part of the connection at either the source or headphone end of the extension cable. If it's a cheap cable and not made to proper specs this could happen easily enough.

It could also be an internal issue with separation, insulation or shielding on the conductors for the extension cable.

The bottom line remains... at that cost try a new cable.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page