Options for in-ceiling speakers...HELP!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-22-2013, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good day everyone. I know that in-ceiling are not recommended but that is the way I have chosen to go.

I currently have a Klipsch SW12 sub that I will be reusing. What I am looking for are fronts, surrounds. I also need a center channel but I will be going with a cabinet style center.

I have a Denon 2312ci receiver. The room this will be going into is the family room. It is 14' x 19' and is open to the kitchen. There are only two walls in this room.

My budget is $1,500 for all 5 speakers. For a great setup I would be willing to go up a few hundred.

Please let me know your thoughts as I need to purchase something in the next few days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-23-2013, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Anyone??
post #3 of 5 Old 10-25-2013, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I posted a question about the possibility of using in ceiling speakers for my rear surrounds and got basically the same results as you. I guess they are frowned upon. I was thinking about them as I dont have much space for surface mounts.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-25-2013, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
They are perfectly fine for surrounds, but if you want to use them as fronts, make sure they are directional so the sound will be directed at the seating position.

Look at Episode, Triad, Definitive Technology, etc. They all make speakers for this application.

http://www.episodespeakers.com/product/49/Episode-700-Series-Home-Theater-In-Ceiling-LCR-Speaker

http://www.episodespeakers.com/product/46/Episode-ES-700-Angled-In-Ceiling-Speaker-with-6.5-inch-Woofer

http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/icb8lcr.html

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/uiw-rcs-ii
post #5 of 5 Old 10-27-2013, 07:15 AM

Liked: 22
I've written a number of posts about in walls and suggest you look them up.

Mig1980, I had to go with all in wall and in ceilling speakers. The front three are inwalls. The surround speakers are all ceiling with movable tweeters I directed toward the listening position.

Instead of a cabinet center, I used an inwall there as well, placing it above the cabinet and below the TV. See the attached photo.

If you need regular center channel speaker, you need to stick with a brand that does both well - cabinet speakers and inwalls. Def Tech especially and Polk as well come to mind.

If inwalls are your only practical solution, don't fret. The quality of inwalls has improved immensely over the years and many people on this forum simply are not aware of that. Sure, we would all like freestanding speakers and I've got them in two other rooms in my house, but my HT sounds great with inwall and in ceiling speakers.

I have heard the Triads and they are great but out of your price range.
Reply Speakers

Tags
In Ceiling Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page