Monoprice In Ceiling Speakers Advice Needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 10-23-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I am trying to select some in ceiling speakers for my 5.1 home theater setup. I already have a powered subwoofer (Polk PSW10), but I need help deciding which of the in ceiling speakers are better. The ceiling is pre wired and the viewing area is right underneath the 2 rears. So I was looking at the Monoprice 4929s for the front (because they are angled) and the 4104s for the rears. Or should I go all 4104s? Or should I go with the smaller ones?

What about the center speaker? Still a 4929 or 4104 or something else?

Or any other speaker suggestions for the 5 in-ceiling ones that won't break the budget and are better than the Monoprice?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-27-2013, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Anybody?
post #3 of 20 Old 10-27-2013, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Danny, I have heard more than 20 brands of inwall and in ceiling speakers over the past five years, but most of them cost $150 per speaker and up. You can look at some of my older threads I created on this forum.

I haven't heard the Monoprice speakers but I have to think there are many brands that are much better. Depends on what you want to spend. I ended up buying speakers from a boutique firm that specializes in wall and ceiling speakers called Noble Fidelity. They run $250 per speaker and up but sound fantastic.

Other brands that I liked on the lower end of the price scale included Monitor Audio, Def Tech, Polk, Infinity, Niles, Boston Acoustics, Yamaha, Speakercraft.

If you want to spend less than $100 per speaker, I would consider Infinity, Niles, Speakercraft, Polk on sale, perhaps Yamaha. Of those I probably liked the Niles, Polk and Infinity the best, but each sounds a bit different. Niles seemed more neutral, Infinity a touch more exciting and Polk were good all rounders.
post #4 of 20 Old 10-29-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Jeff, thank you for your answer. I was also looking at Polk RC60i and Klipsch R-1650-C. Anybody have any experience with those, how they compare one with another and with the Monoprice line?
post #5 of 20 Old 10-29-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 525
For a tight budget - I would look at HTD
http://www.htd.com/Products/high-definition

http://www.htd.com/Products/Single-HD-In-Wall-Ceiling-Speakers

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #6 of 20 Old 10-30-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I'm also helping out a friend with his "WAF-mancave" project, and just subscribed to this thread

Built my own HT in the past. Unfortunately; I have no experience or opinions about in-wall speakers.
I did install 2 different pairs of in-ceiling speakers (Klipsch and Polk). I have to say the Klispch sound best in my space, and also are much more efficient (typical for Klipsch). Sorry - I don't have the model numbers with me right now.

I will also be following along with this thread in the hopes of getting some budget tips for in-wall selections for my friends L/C/R?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #7 of 20 Old 10-30-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

For a tight budget - I would look at HTD
http://www.htd.com/Products/high-definition

http://www.htd.com/Products/Single-HD-In-Wall-Ceiling-Speakers

zieg,
Thanks for that link - checked out their web-site - looks very promising.
Wonder if anyone else browsing this thread has experience with htd.com, and their in-wall/in-ceiling offerings?

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #8 of 20 Old 10-30-2013, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I've heard the Polk RC60i speakers and they sound very good for the price. Klipsch is a touch bright but fairly tight (in walls usually have the same characteristics of standalones from the same brand). Either of these choices should work very well.

The difference between most in-walls in the same price range, especially at the lower end, is subtle. Most are using 6-inch woofers and were made in China, keeping the costs down. They have decent thump, though some are boomier than others (not a good thing but it can impress virgin ears).

The differences tend to be in the performance of higher frequencies. Certain tweeter materials have distinct colors to their sound their others. Again, the differences tend to be small but are often noticeable. Do you like the music precise, warm, cool, analytic, etc. The higher you go up in the price range the more those factors come into play.

Other brands to consider are Mordaunt Short (accessories for less has good prices), Kef and Sonance. Occasionally you can find better brands on the cheap.
post #9 of 20 Old 10-30-2013, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I have a pair of the 8" Monoprice in-ceiling speakers in my garage, and I think they sound great for the price.
post #10 of 20 Old 10-30-2013, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

I have a pair of the 8" Monoprice in-ceiling speakers in my garage, and I think they sound great for the price.

Which ones do you have? The 4104 or the angled ones? How good do they sound? Any distortion at high volumes? What about bass? I was thinking to use 5 of them for my 5.1 HT coupled with the Polk subwoofer...

Like I said before, I am trying to decide between the 6'' or 8'' Monos, the Polk RCi, the Energy EAS and the Klipsch RC... Based on the specs only, the Monos beat all the other... but do they really sound good?
post #11 of 20 Old 10-31-2013, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysporea View Post

Which ones do you have? The 4104 or the angled ones? How good do they sound? Any distortion at high volumes? What about bass? I was thinking to use 5 of them for my 5.1 HT coupled with the Polk subwoofer...

Like I said before, I am trying to decide between the 6'' or 8'' Monos, the Polk RCi, the Energy EAS and the Klipsch RC... Based on the specs only, the Monos beat all the other... but do they really sound good?

I have the 4104. They are crystal clear, and I've never heard any distortion (although I don't generally play them at ear-bleeding levels). Bass response is good, and you won't have any trouble there since you're using a sub. Speaking of subs, if you use the money saved on the Monoprice speakers to upgrade your sub, I think you'd have a pretty respectable system. Polk subs are not well-regarded (especially the PSW10), so I think you'd get the most bang for your buck by pouring some money into a new sub. Good luck!
post #12 of 20 Old 10-31-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 937
i have the 4619's installed as my rear speakers. for my use they are great. i didn't do anything special for installing them, and the bass isn't that great as a result, but they are clear and efficient enough to fit in with my other speakers.

i'd be leary of using them for mains in the front, but i'm leary of any in-wall for that purpose. i also have a feeling, like 'no name' brands the quality control is more laxed, and there's not really consistency across the whole brand. that is the speakers i bought could be much better/worse than other monoprice speakers, and they could be made in different plants under different specs.

unfortunately i don't have any real experience with other brands worth comparing. i have installed a pair of vector in-ceilings in the bathroom, and the monoprice sound better than they do, but i'd expect that, the vectors were only 28bux for 6.5"

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #13 of 20 Old 11-02-2013, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Late to the party but I have a houseful of HTD in ceiling and love them. May be the best value out there and the 8" ceiling mounts are really easy to listen to.
post #14 of 20 Old 11-02-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpilk View Post

Late to the party but I have a houseful of HTD in ceiling and love them. May be the best value out there and the 8" ceiling mounts are really easy to listen to.
All feedback is appreciated - thanks for chiming in! I was on the HTD website checking out their in-walls looks like a good value.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #15 of 20 Old 11-04-2013, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your replies.

I will be using an Onkyo TX-SR805 as the receiver, which is a really good one and THX certified. That's why I'm trying to get the best speakers I could find that won't break the budget (no more than $500 for all 5).

Based on the specs (Kevlar cone and titanium Tweeter), the Monoprice ones look the best on paper (not to mention the price), but do they really sound good? I was also looking at the HTD high definition ones and somebody just told me about Audioaccess AAS6C... It's very hard to decide without a comparison!

I have another possibility as well. I have 6 Klipsch R-1650-C already in walls on different levels for whole house audio that came with the house. Maybe use them for the home theater and replace them with the Monoprice ones?
post #16 of 20 Old 11-10-2013, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Did not decide yet frown.gif
Found these that look like a steal at $135/pair, they are 3-ways in ceiling:
http://www.nxgtechnology.com/speakers.html
Any opinion on these?
post #17 of 20 Old 04-30-2014, 05:42 PM

What did you end up going with? I am also limited to ALL in ceiling speakers (all five). My space is big, 24x18x10, but that includes the dining room, so the space we "want" to watch tv/movies in is really 14x18x10...

I am trying to decide between the 8 inch slanted cone Monoprice speakers 4929, the HTD HDR65AIM speakers with HD-r80s for the surround (this is a 5.1 setup), or Polk RC80is all the way around... should I go with different Front speakers? Surrounds? A different center?  Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Also, any sub recommendations under $400 to go with that setup would also be great...

Thank you!!!

post #18 of 20 Old 04-30-2014, 05:49 PM

Liked: 11
smileradio,

10' ceiling? Angled for the front left/right and center would be best and possibly angled for the back depending on how far behind you they will be mounted. You could even do 6.5" up front if you have higher db speakers. Sub would depend on whether you have carpeted floor or hard surface floor.

Brennan - Outdoor Speaker Depot
post #19 of 20 Old 04-30-2014, 05:55 PM

The speakers will be a foot or two behind us for the rears.

We will be using a Denon AVR x2000 for our receiver.

And the whole place is hardwood floor... That makes a difference for what Sub we go with? How come? And what would you recommend (sub wise, as well as the speakers I mentioned above)?

Thanks so much!!! Really!

post #20 of 20 Old 04-30-2014, 06:07 PM

Liked: 11
No problem! Check your PM.
Reply Speakers

Tags
In Ceiling Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page