B&w, Martin Logan, Triangle, Polk I can't decide! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 10-23-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I know there's tons of what should I buy posts and this is another one. I'm in a little bit of a pickle. Currently working for a big box electronic store, but just got a job in the corporate world and am trying to put together my big boy system, before i part ways. I just purchased a 55vt60, and am now looking to pair it with some speakers. My current setup is a Yamaha rex-a800, Andrew jones series speakers (5 channel), and a Polk psw10.

I have been listening to the b&w 683 towers for the last couple of years whenever I'm at work. I love the smooth and balanced sound they have to offer. Sounds like I've made up my mind... Not really. The Martin Logan motion 12s have also been on my radar and keep popping up on newegg for 250 a piece. As well as a brand I have never heard of before also caught my eye today. Newegg has triangle Plaisir towers that come to 70 out the door a piece. Seems like an unreal deal for a speaker made in France. Finally I am able to order speakers direct from Polk at roughly 60% off.

Here my real question as the opinions from my co workers are so skewed. What sounds like the best bang for my buck? Im 23, and will be moving soon to a new house where I'll be able to set up a dedicated man cave, and enjoy my new VT. I do about 70% movies, and tv and 30% music. Not looking to spend a fortune on a setup, want to keep it to about a 1000 for 2 towers, but don't mind spending less. Will probably upgrade to a Marantz sr-7007 or 7008 in the upcoming months.

Prices
-b&w 683 900 pair
-Polk rtia9 750 pair
-Martin Logan motion 12s 500 pair
Triangle 120 pair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-23-2013, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Since you are considering this for HT, I think NONE OF THE ABOVE is the best way to spend $1000 to upgrade from your Pioneers. Step one would be to get a quality subwoofer. What is it that you don't like about the Pioneers? Do they not play loud enough, don't like the high end, don't like the midbass, etc? All the speakers you are considering have completely different sonic character, so in order to give you good advice we would need to know what you find appealing and what you don't. You might find with a good sub you could hold off a while on upgrading the rest of the speakers, though.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-23-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

I really have no issues with the pioneer besides the fact that they are not loud enough, and get a little distorted towards the high end especially in action scenes in movies. With music i don't listen to a lot on my stereo system, as i have a set of audio engines hooked up to a dragonfly dac. I would like to start using my main system though. Music does not have a very broad sound stage with my pioneers. The low end also seems very muffled, and loaded with bass which drowns out the mids and highs. Hopefully that helps, i really just want to find a nice well rounded speaker thats good at everything. Im so used to what is sold in the Magnolia sections as that is all i have around me to audition. My sub is garbage which i planned on replacing with possibly a supercube 2000. The only reason i don't want to hold off and get some speakers soon, is because when i leave my job my discount goes with it, which saves me roughly half on speakers in store.
post #4 of 16 Old 10-23-2013, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Do you work for best buy magnolia? Also, a big NO for the supercube 2000.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-23-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Work for Best Buy but not on the sales floor.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-23-2013, 11:48 AM

Even with your discount, your money might be better spent elsewhere. The point I was making with the sub was that it should be the first upgrade...I would say something in the $500 range from one of the ID companies. That would leave you with about $500 more for your fronts and center (could probably get by with moving the pioneers to surround duty for now). Since you are running out of juice with your current speakers, you'll want something that is fairly efficient...at least in the low 90s. With a good sub you won't need floor standing speakers, all you need are good bookshelf speakers that can hit 80hz or lower. With all that in mind, I think this would be your best bet in your budget Hybrid 2 - 3.1 Package deal http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid2pkg.html It would be huge upgrade from any of the options you mentioned above for HT and probably even for music.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-23-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 340
I don't agree that just because you use a good sub there is no need for towers. Crossover your speakers at 80hz what do you think fills in from there to 2.5-3khz that most tweeters come in at? Yep the other drivers in the box. So more of them make more noise, have more dynamics and more headroom.

I would add to that list the new Boston Acoustic M series which are a BOGO right now. The center is a little pricey though.

As for subs any ID brand sub would be better than a SC2000, 4000, 6000 and even the 8000 if you got $500 or more to spend.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #8 of 16 Old 10-23-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

I don't agree that just because you use a good sub there is no need for towers. Crossover your speakers at 80hz what do you think fills in from there to 2.5-3khz that most tweeters come in at? Yep the other drivers in the box. So more of them make more noise, have more dynamics and more headroom.

I would add to that list the new Boston Acoustic M series which are a BOGO right now. The center is a little pricey though.

As for subs any ID brand sub would be better than a SC2000, 4000, 6000 and even the 8000 if you got $500 or more to spend.

I'm sorry Kini, but that post shows a fundamental lack of knowledge about speaker design. By your logic those old Sansui speakers that crammed 6 drivers in a box with 15inch woofers would somehow have an advantage. The ONLY advantage towers have over a bookshelf (assuming same design and drivers) is their ability to play slightly louder in some cases, and to extend the FR. The extended FR isn't needed with a sub, and the slight difference in output will be more than offset by relieving the need of your AVR or amp to handle full range speakers.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-23-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile2k View Post

I'm sorry Kini, but that post shows a fundamental lack of knowledge about speaker design. By your logic those old Sansui speakers that crammed 6 drivers in a box with 15inch woofers would somehow have an advantage. The ONLY advantage towers have over a bookshelf (assuming same design and drivers) is their ability to play slightly louder in some cases, and to extend the FR. The extended FR isn't needed with a sub, and the slight difference in output will be more than offset by relieving the need of your AVR or amp to handle full range speakers.

Sorry but it's YOUR fundamental knowledge that seems to be lacking. 1 6 inch driver cannot produce the same volume as 2 6 inch drivers of the same make. That's a fact. So 3 drivers would also produce more volume and so on.

If what you're saying is correct then no one would need anything larger than a single 4-5 inch single driver monitor no matter how large the room or how loud the volume desired as long as there is a subwoofer playing. This of course is NOT correct, obviously.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #10 of 16 Old 10-23-2013, 04:41 PM

It depends on the driver. There are several bookshelf speakers that have efficiency ratings of 90db or more...and there are plenty of floor standers that have a rating below 85db. You cannot make generalizations like you are making. There is more to efficiency (or being able to play loud, as you call it) than the number or size of the drivers. I stand behind my statement...your fundamental knowledge of speaker design is lacking if you think you MUST have towers to play loud or clean above 80hz.
post #11 of 16 Old 10-23-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Sorry but it's YOUR fundamental knowledge that seems to be lacking. 1 6 inch driver cannot produce the same volume as 2 6 inch drivers of the same make.
Sure it can, so long as the xmax of the one is equal to the combined xmax of the other two. Obviously that would not occur if the drivers were identical, but they need not be identical just because they're the same brand.
Quote:
There is no need for towers with good subs, because fully 3/4 of the size of a tower is there to allow the cabinet a low enough resonant frequency to extend well below 80Hz. If you want more volume than a small bookshelf can deliver get a large bookshelf, which is large not to allow it to go lower, but to allow it to use more midbass drivers.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #12 of 16 Old 10-23-2013, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it. Good bookshelves are sounding like the way to go plus it'll save me some money to put towards a good sub! On a side not has anyone heard Triangles before? From my research the ones on newegg are very similar to Triangles color series minus the fancy colors they come in. For 140 shipped for 2 towers they would be a good gift or just a backup set of speakers. Seems like every review rates them only on music, haven't found anything talking about TV or movie use.
post #13 of 16 Old 10-23-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc51 View Post

Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it. Good bookshelves are sounding like the way to go plus it'll save me some money to put towards a good sub! On a side not has anyone heard Triangles before? From my research the ones on newegg are very similar to Triangles color series minus the fancy colors they come in. For 140 shipped for 2 towers they would be a good gift or just a backup set of speakers. Seems like every review rates them only on music, haven't found anything talking about TV or movie use.

I would still put the HSU speakers on a short list.

Also, a good pair of bookshelf speakers with a decent sub, can do a nice job.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #14 of 16 Old 10-23-2013, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Where are you seeing the Martinlogan Motion 12's for 500? Everyone seems to be out of stock or over 600 for the pair. Help a brother out here. Thanks.
post #15 of 16 Old 10-24-2013, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

They were up for most of the day starting around noon. They must be out of stock again. Just keep an eye on the site, they will probably get them back in stock.
post #16 of 16 Old 10-24-2013, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc51 View Post

They were up for most of the day starting around noon. They must be out of stock again. Just keep an eye on the site, they will probably get them back in stock.

Ya..tried to buy but they only had one. That model is discontinued so it may be about over. Thats a nice set of towers for 5 bills all in. Thanks
Reply Speakers

Tags
B W , Martin Logan , Polk Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page