Best setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-23-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

All --

Currently looking to outfit our family room with some new speakers. It's about 20x20x12, open room, hardwood floors. Pre-wired for 5.1 setup as it's a new home.

I am considering a couple of different configurations. For the front, am considering:

1) B&W CM5 or 685

2) Paradigm Studio 20's

3) Ascend Sierra 1's

4) Monitor Audio RX2's

For the rear, I need an in-wall speaker to match with them. This is easy for all but the Sierra 1's. Also planning to do a phantom center. So, a few questions:

1) For a room of this size, what would general recommendations be from what I've listed about? Tower speakers not an option, so looking for best bookshelf.

2) For teh Sierra's -- what would be a good rear built in match? Honestly they are probably the ones I'd like to buy for the front, but not sure what to match them up with.

3) Anything else I should be considering? Trying to top out at ~$1500 for the front 2, $500-600 for the back. Powering with a Marantz SR5008.

Thanks!

Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-23-2013, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Admittedly, I am somewhat biased, but I can highly recommend the Legacy Audio Studio HD.....

There are lots of reviews out there that will back me up. These speakers will play down to 41 Hz, and have fantastic, transparent, open highs due to Legacy's AMT folded ribbon tweeter. Overall build and parts quality is very high, and service is second to none. Legacy has been respected in the high end speaker business for over 20 years.

System Type: 2 Driver, 2 Way
Tweeter: 1" dual pole AMT folded ribbon
Midwoofer: (1) 8" Silver/Graphite woven diaphragm, cast basket, phase compensation plug
Low Frequency Alignment: B4 Reflex
Frequency Response (Hx +/- 2dB): 41-30k
Impedance: 4 Ohm
Sensitivity (Room, dB@2.83V ): 93 dB
Recommended Amplification: 25 - 200 watts
Crossover: 2.8k
Binding Posts: 2 Pair
Weight: 31 lbs each
Dimensions (HxWxD): 13 x 10.8 x 10.8
Shipping Weight: 74 lbs per pair
Retail MSRP: $1,575 per pair

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
post #3 of 8 Old 10-23-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 305
^ Wow! Nice looking speakers.

Some other possible choices-

Kef LS50s

NHT Classic Three (would be easy to get the in walls or a center down the road if you wanted).

Wharfdale Jade series

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #4 of 8 Old 10-23-2013, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20

Your surrounds do not "need" to match your fronts {unless you plan on 5 ch music}.  

For built in surrounds I would go with either

http://www.amazon.com/Jamo-Surround-In-Wall-Speaker-Paintable/dp/B002WXD0M8/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382559247&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=IW+606+SUR+FG

or

http://www.amazon.com/Jamo-IC610SUR-JAMO-Installation-Sp/dp/B002IK9OSO/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382559388&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=IC+610+SUR+FG

I have heard many "built in "speakers, and these shine over the rest...

another good option for an inwall surround is the psb, I never a b compared them , they are all nice for sure http://www.designeraudiovideo.com/psb-speakers-cw260.html?gclid=CKvn39vkrboCFU9o7AodI0cAfg

For your front bookshelf speakers, since you are going phantom center I would consider something like the ascend 340se or the Artisan R270, ...  What I noticed with phantom especially in larger rooms is you want a very strong bookshelf, something with dual 6.5's is nice, I have tried it with a few different bookshelfs including the sierras, I can honestly say this is something you are going to want to demo..  I have heard the r270's in a 4.1 HT system and they sounded great, but for the price the 340's are hard to beat...

PS Im sure the legacy 8" listed above would also get the job done {I heard the expressions, which if I remember had a very similar driver in them, and they sounded very natural}, just stay away from anything with a single 4-5 inch'ish driver...

HT-Emotiva UMC200 and XPA5, Ascend 340se front stage, 200se surrounds, Dual HSU VTF2's
Bedroom music-jolida 202 integrated & Tekton Lores
Formal parlor music- XPA2 & XDA2, Wharfedale Evo2-40's, dual WD sw subs, pure i20
Guest parlor-Parasound 2100 outlaw 2200 monos, csb1 bookshelfs, dual SVS sb12nsd subs
post #5 of 8 Old 10-23-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

This is all great input and advice -- I appreciate it, guys.

I am planning on using the system for 5.1 (well, 4.1 I suppose) music -- that's one of my primary uses, actually. I assume, based on the comment above, that this drives a need to have all 4 speakers by the same manufacturer? If so, I think that narrows my choices to the B&W's, Paradigms, Monitors, or the NHT speakers listed above, as these are the only ones that offer in-wall options that I could put in for the rear speakers. 

Thanks

Matt

post #6 of 8 Old 10-23-2013, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmamatt View Post

This is all great input and advice -- I appreciate it, guys.

I am planning on using the system for 5.1 (well, 4.1 I suppose) music -- that's one of my primary uses, actually. I assume, based on the comment above, that this drives a need to have all 4 speakers by the same manufacturer? If so, I think that narrows my choices to the B&W's, Paradigms, Monitors, or the NHT speakers listed above, as these are the only ones that offer in-wall options that I could put in for the rear speakers. 

Thanks

Matt

PSB has really nice in walls and some of the best sounding bookshelfs I ever heard, the One B's and Imagine B's are really nice and while the synchony's may be out of the price range {around $2000 a pair}, but the Imagine Bs can be found in your budget, I like the imagine series, the T2 towers are amazing, and I can't wait to get a deal on a used pair soon...

I don't want you to misunderstand about the music playing, I hate multi channel music, when you play music you will switch the a 2.1 or 2 channel direct mode and the music will come from just your front 2 speakers...  Some people play music through their surrounds, I personally can not stand it, as a lot of other people feel the same way, the tuner, ipod, music settings on most avr's automatically go to 2 channel mode...

HT-Emotiva UMC200 and XPA5, Ascend 340se front stage, 200se surrounds, Dual HSU VTF2's
Bedroom music-jolida 202 integrated & Tekton Lores
Formal parlor music- XPA2 & XDA2, Wharfedale Evo2-40's, dual WD sw subs, pure i20
Guest parlor-Parasound 2100 outlaw 2200 monos, csb1 bookshelfs, dual SVS sb12nsd subs
post #7 of 8 Old 10-23-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input -- will take a look at the PSBs.

To clarify on the music playing -- I have some stuff specially mixed for surround systems --e.g. Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD. Not just for playing regular music. For that you're right, 2.1 is how I plan to use it.

Matt

post #8 of 8 Old 10-23-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmamatt View Post

Thanks for the input -- will take a look at the PSBs.

To clarify on the music playing -- I have some stuff specially mixed for surround systems --e.g. Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD. Not just for playing regular music. For that you're right, 2.1 is how I plan to use it.

Matt

PSB has some nice stuff

Have you also looked at Focal - with the good pricing on bookshelves
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-139677-focal-chorus-806v-bookshelf-speakers-pr.aspx

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-139678-focal-chorus-807v-bookshelf-speakers-pr.aspx

Their in-walls are not discounted - however, the bookshelves leave some more room to work with
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-109407-focal-iw706v-in-wall-speaker-ea.aspx

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page