1Question - What is my next purchase? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-23-2013, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just have 1 question: What piece of audio equipment/gear should I buy next?

I currently have a pioneer SC-1222-K, a HSU vtf3-mk4, HC-1 center, and HB-1 LR, and I'm using the satellites from the Energy Take Classic 5.0 package for my surrounds and front heights. I'm in a pretty big room (maybe 30 ft by 15 ft with tall ceilings and the room opens up into the rest of the house).

I'm considering buying a second vtf3-mk4, or maybe four HB-1s to replace the Energy speakers. I've heard great things about the Ascend 170s, so I considered that for the surrounds instead of the HB-1s. Room treatments also seem to be fairly popular, but I don't know how much those would buy me over the speaker options. I also don't know if the WAF would allow for wall hangings. I'm afraid I might be missing some other important piece of equipment.

I'm personally leaning towards replacing the surround/heights, but my guess is ya'll will tell me to get a second sub. I'm also guessing you'll say if I do replace the surround/heights that I should stick with HB-1s over Ascends because I have the HSU LCR and the HSU is a pretty good speaker. I'm curious about how important ya'll think it is to replace the Energy Takes with a better speaker since they are just pulling surround duty. You might tell me I need something other than the Energys, the HSUs, or the Ascends for my surrounds. I'm also curious about the priority of treatments.

I may have (intentionally) biased the responses by posting in this forum.

Sorry for the long post, but I did keep it to 1 question. biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-23-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 488
What part of the sound do you want to be improved? The surround sound stage? if so, upgrade the surrounds. The overall clarity? if so, look into room treatments. The bass? Add another sub.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-23-2013, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate the response shady, but I'm afraid all I can say is I want more "goodness."

I don't have a good idea of what I want or where the biggest improvement might be.

I guess I was looking for others to say things like, "well if it was me, I would buy ."
post #4 of 5 Old 10-24-2013, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 488
If it were me, I would get a SPL meter and another VTF3. I would take some measurements to see what you have currently and place the second sub in a spot that most benefits your system based on those measurements.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-27-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks shady. That might be what I end up doing.

Any other opinions out there?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page