BEST HOME THEATRE SPEAKERS FOR WATCHING MOVIES - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > BEST HOME THEATRE SPEAKERS FOR WATCHING MOVIES

Speakers

mirage1000's Avatar mirage1000
08:37 AM Liked: 10
post #1 of 27
10-24-2013 | Posts: 73
Dear Fellow Members and Experts,

Can you please advice on what would be the best speakers for watching movies.

I am looking for the front mains and center channel speakers.

I have a Denon 4311. Currently my mains are Mirage OMD-15's and OMD-C1.

i am planning to upgrade the fronts and center channel.

My surounds are OMD-c1's.

your advice is greatly appreciated.
cel4145's Avatar cel4145
09:47 AM Liked: 781
post #2 of 27
10-24-2013 | Posts: 11,760
Budget? What's your room size? What kind of sub do you have?
hdnewbie21's Avatar hdnewbie21
10:39 AM Liked: 38
post #3 of 27
10-24-2013 | Posts: 288
^^^^^^this^^^^^^^

There are no "best speakers". There are great speakers at every budget and subject to room size limitations.
JerryLove's Avatar JerryLove
10:48 AM Liked: 76
post #4 of 27
10-24-2013 | Posts: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Budget? What's your listening distance? What kind of sub do you have?
Fixed that for you.

Also worth asking: what are you using for a screen (IOW: what are the center-placement options)? Does appearance count? What do you like least about the current speakers?
cel4145's Avatar cel4145
11:26 AM Liked: 781
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

Fixed that for you.

Didn't need fixing wink.gif Room size is important to know for bass performance needs, although certainly listening distance can be useful to know ad well.
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5
11:45 AM Liked: 531
post #6 of 27
10-24-2013 | Posts: 8,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage1000 View Post

Dear Fellow Members and Experts,

Can you please advice on what would be the best speakers for watching movies.

I am looking for the front mains and center channel speakers.

I have a Denon 4311. Currently my mains are Mirage OMD-15's and OMD-C1.

i am planning to upgrade the fronts and center channel.

My surounds are OMD-c1's.

your advice is greatly appreciated.

As others above stated. Need additional info to help you.

Room size?
Listening distance?
Constraints for front speakers? As in size mounting?
Sub system?
Listening levels you are looking for?
What is the room like? As in floor covering, walls and ceiling?
Budget?
12:00 PM Liked: 76
post #7 of 27
10-24-2013 | Posts: 1,597
Quote:

Didn't need fixing wink.gif Room size is important to know for bass performance needs, although certainly listening distance can be useful to know ad well.
Really?

I'll be watching outdoors. The room is therefore infinitely large. What bass performance should I get?
cel4145's Avatar cel4145
08:44 PM Liked: 781
post #8 of 27
Quote:

Really?

I'll be watching outdoors. The room is therefore infinitely large. What bass performance should I get?

Who cares about your fictitious wild examples. The guy has OMD-15s. What you want to bet his setup is in a room? rolleyes.gif

If you want to talk about outdoor setups, go start your own thread.
shadyJ's Avatar shadyJ
11:11 PM Liked: 626
post #9 of 27
10-24-2013 | Posts: 7,128
Quote:

Really?

Jerry, in an infinitely large room, you will want a woofer with infinitely large surface area. That's a tall order, but luckily for you, not impossible. In my spare time I have been tinkering with a little something in my basement using D-branes as a radiating surface area. I believe that by using foreign D-brane collisions in a controlled oscillation with our local cosmos brane, we can achieve a theoretically perfect bass system capable of pressurizing a three dimensional space of any size. Yes, I do mean an absolutely flat frequency response across all listening positions! The only problem is the near-instantaneous total destruction of the entire visible universe, but hey, the SPLs would be incredible.
GIEGAR's Avatar GIEGAR
01:26 AM Liked: 334
post #10 of 27
10-25-2013 | Posts: 1,215
Quote:

Quote:

Budget? What's your listening distance? What kind of sub do you have?
Fixed that for you.

Also worth asking: what are you using for a screen (IOW: what are the center-placement options)? Does appearance count? What do you like least about the current speakers?

What's with the listening distance crusade? Blokes are offering advice in good faith to those asking for help - and you just want to get pernickety with their responses and send the thread on a tangent? confused.gif

You really should know you're becoming a bit of a pest with this stuff. (Or, is that your intention?)

Listening distance is important, but that doesn't mean room size isn't a relevant variable for speaker selection. It can give some clue to what physical size of speaker the OP may be able to accomodate in the room and it's a pretty fair indicator of the likely range of listening distances. It's also relevent for speaker and/or amp selection because the level trim calibration, whether using a continuous pink noise stimulus or auto set-up routines (eg. Audyssey log chirp), the measurement mic's reading is integrating the direct sound from the speakers and the lingering reflected energy in the room. In a smaller typical domestic room, the contribution of reflected energy to the overall SPL reading will be greater, resulting in somewhat lower speaker level trim and reduced power requirements. This is why the fellas ask how big the room is. It also gives them a frame of reference to their own room size when they're giving advice.

And never fear, you can get plenty of "pant leg flapping" low bass action when watching outdoors... just ask Mark Seaton or Keith Yates!
GIEGAR's Avatar GIEGAR
01:29 AM Liked: 334
post #11 of 27
10-25-2013 | Posts: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Jerry, in an infinitely large room, you will want a woofer with infinitely large surface area. That's a tall order, but luckily for you, not impossible. In my spare time I have been tinkering with a little something in my basement using D-branes as a radiating surface area. I believe that by using foreign D-brane collisions in a controlled oscillation with our local cosmos brane, we can achieve a theoretically perfect bass system capable of pressurizing a three dimensional space of any size. Yes, I do mean an absolutely flat frequency response across all listening positions! The only problem is the near-instantaneous total destruction of the entire visible universe, but hey, the SPLs would be incredible.

{Montgomery Burns voice} Excellent...! biggrin.gif
06:35 AM Liked: 76
post #12 of 27
10-25-2013 | Posts: 1,597
Quote:

Who cares about your fictitious wild examples. The guy has OMD-15s. What you want to bet his setup is in a room? rolleyes.gif

If you want to talk about outdoor setups, go start your own thread.
Nothing fictitious about it: I've got a really big wall on the back of my house and a projector and think I'll go watch something.

Your post seems like deflection. Could it be that I was right in my original assertion?
06:41 AM Liked: 76
post #13 of 27
10-25-2013 | Posts: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

What's with the listening distance crusade? Blokes are offering advice in good faith to those asking for help - and you just want to get pernickety with their responses and send the thread on a tangent? confused.gif
They are asking for a useless piece of information (with regards to speaker selection), basing their recommendation on that useless peice of information, and wrongly training people new to the hobby that room size is an important factor in determining speaker choice.

Why does anyone here correct any wrong information? Same reason.
Quote:
Listening distance is important, but that doesn't mean room size isn't a relevant variable for speaker selection. It can give some clue to what physical size of speaker the OP may be able to accomodate in the room and it's a pretty fair indicator of the likely range of listening distances. It's also relevent for speaker and/or amp selection because the level trim calibration, whether using a continuous pink noise stimulus or auto set-up routines (eg. Audyssey log chirp), the measurement mic's reading is integrating the direct sound from the speakers and the lingering reflected energy in the room. In a smaller typical domestic room, the contribution of reflected energy to the overall SPL reading will be greater, resulting in somewhat lower speaker level trim and reduced power requirements. This is why the fellas ask how big the room is. It also gives them a frame of reference to their own room size when they're giving advice.
I'm incredulous in regards to that claim. What is the db increase for a speaker in a 10x12 room compared to the same speaker in a 16x24 room? How many db of "lingering reflected energy" can I expect? I've never noticed it on any of my speaker calibrating sweeps, which I generally do by hand on my active set.

Also, and reflected noise over 1ms is heard as reflection, and not as part of the same note.

It would make *much* more sense to be asking distance from the wall / corner (where you *can* get loading) than room dimensions.
hdnewbie21's Avatar hdnewbie21
09:47 AM Liked: 38
post #14 of 27
10-25-2013 | Posts: 288
Quote:

They are asking for a useless piece of information (with regards to speaker selection), basing their recommendation on that useless peice of information, and wrongly training people new to the hobby that room size is an important factor in determining speaker choice.

Why does anyone here correct any wrong information? Same reason.

Jerry, no one is denying the important of listening distance in speakers selection. However, you should have added your question instead of correcting Cel's. By replacing Cel's question with your own, you showed the same amount of ignorance you thought you were trying to make up for; at the very least, you showed you lacked seeing the big picture.

Cel's questions were "Budget? What's your room size? What kind of sub do you have?". The OP main application is HT. You need a balance system to hear improvements, that includes the sub. Upgrading the speakers by themselves may not yield the best results, at least not for HT. To make a good suggestion, you need to know all the variables.
cel4145's Avatar cel4145
12:00 PM Liked: 781
post #15 of 27
10-25-2013 | Posts: 11,760
Quote:

Nothing fictitious about it: I've got a really big wall on the back of my house and a projector and think I'll go watch something.

Then go start your own thread instead of imposing your needs on this one.
Quote:

Could it be that I was right in my original assertion?

No. And if you can reason out on your own why room size is important and want to argue about it, then I suggest you start your own thread for that, too, instead of dragging this one off topic any further. rolleyes.gif
Billy p's Avatar Billy p
12:27 PM Liked: 215
post #16 of 27
10-25-2013 | Posts: 1,305
What I find hilarious is over at the Salk forum the other day...he quipped about keeping things on topic when somebody brought up the discussion about cables & wires but yeah he goes off on some tanget here..classic!
deafear's Avatar deafear
12:49 PM Liked: 11
post #17 of 27
10-25-2013 | Posts: 14

This thread reminds me of other forums that aren't worth visiting.....

I had a pissing contest with my brother off the deck years ago....unfortunately we covered the dinner table during a family "Al Fresco" evening....

We never did that again....

flyng_fool's Avatar flyng_fool
02:03 PM Liked: 156
post #18 of 27
10-25-2013 | Posts: 3,860
]Getting back to topic, are you handy at all? The SEOS kits are a phenomenal value and are excellent for movie watching.
mmarki's Avatar mmarki
02:22 PM Liked: 23
post #19 of 27
10-25-2013 | Posts: 479
^^^^^ +1. I just built 3 Fusion 10 Pure for my theater. They sound great and only cost me around $300 per speaker. Great value, dynamic and plenty of SPL.
Poolshark1981's Avatar Poolshark1981
03:10 PM Liked: 11
post #20 of 27
10-26-2013 | Posts: 6
Wow. Back and forth back and forth and no answers to the original questions. Why do guys go at each other like that? We're all here for info to share and accept. Stick to the topic fellas!
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar Bill Fitzmaurice
03:30 PM Liked: 1684
post #21 of 27
10-26-2013 | Posts: 10,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolshark1981 View Post

We're all here for info to share and accept.
Not all of us. Google 'internet forum troll'. When you identify one put him on your blocked list, it saves a lot of time not having wade through their posts to get to helpful information.
sburke32's Avatar sburke32
07:34 PM Liked: 10
post #22 of 27
10-26-2013 | Posts: 1
Atlantic Technology are fantastic. Let me know if your interested. I have a friend that can get great prices.
cel4145's Avatar cel4145
08:52 PM Liked: 781
post #23 of 27
10-26-2013 | Posts: 11,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolshark1981 View Post

Wow. Back and forth back and forth and no answers to the original questions. Why do guys go at each other like that? We're all here for info to share and accept. Stick to the topic fellas!

Unfortunately, the OP has not been back to provide any information. There's really not enough to go on here to help the OP without knowing more. That's why (despite the minority view expressed in this thread), asking about budget, room size, and other system equipment (such as what sub) are fairly standard questions on AVS to get that conversation started to help someone figure out the best upgrade for their existing setup.
09:08 AM Liked: 10
post #24 of 27
11-22-2013 | Posts: 73
Hello - room is 23ft long and 18 ft wide - carpeted

primary use = 90% Movies
09:09 AM Liked: 10
post #25 of 27
Budget = $3000
09:17 AM Liked: 10
post #26 of 27
i have a denon 4311 and Sunfire 12' sub
Transmaniacon's Avatar Transmaniacon
09:26 AM Liked: 461
post #27 of 27
11-22-2013 | Posts: 3,672
Welcome back, sorry for the thread getting derailed...rolleyes.gif

I would probably devote about $1500 to subs, and the rest on your LCR. A pair of Power Sound Audio XV15s would be great. Since you are in a decent sized room, dual subs would help smooth out your frequency response, and give you a little bump in output. Since movies are a priority, having adequate bass is important.

For your front three, you have a lot of options. I would strongly recommend the Monitor Audio Silver RX speakers. They are on closeout at www.saturdayaudio.com, and you could get the RX6 towers and RX Center for about $1500. These are very good speakers and you may even want to pick up a pair of RX1's for surrounds.

Edit: Just saw you have a sub already, I would still recommend upgrading that as well, it will make a considerable difference for movie watching.
Tags: Mirage Omd15 Rosewood Ea 2 5 Way Omnipolar Tm Floorstanding Loudspeaker
Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread