5.1 ceiling mounted surround sound positioning - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-24-2013, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi guys,

Long time listener, first time caller here. I really could use some advice setting up the positions of my Martin Logan MLT-2 5.1 (w/ Onkyo tx-nr626 AVR) speakers to my living room that is prewired.

First off, here is my room in question.

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab339/Meaneddyb/surroundsound2_zpsca0321d0.jpg

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab339/Meaneddyb/surroundsound1_zps23cd9307.jpg

As you can see, my large projection screen TV and the fireplace make it impossible to mount my TV in the center of the room. So it has to sit where it's sitting. And also as you can see, the speakers are not exactly lined up with the TV. I feel like it is throwing off the accuracy of the setup. I previously had them just key holed and flush against the wall; high up on the wall (since that is where the speaker wires are coming from and yes I know it isn't optimal placement). Being unable to even angle them made me feel even more so that I wasn't getting the best arrangement I can with my speakers. So, I purchased some compatible Bose wall/ceiling mounts.

Here is my inquiry. I'm thinking about mounting them more clockwise, with the center speaker above the TV and the rest shifted clockwise as well in their resulting positions. I imagine this should help with the accuracy of the surround sound. Given my TV is in a corner, would this be the proper thing to do? Or should I just keep them in the corners where the speaker outlets are like I had before and just angle them in once I get the mounting brackets on? 

I really don't want to drill multiple sets of holes in the ceiling so I figured I would reach out to the public who knows more than I.

Any advice on my setup would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time mounting speakers to a ceiling and I just want to make sure I am doing it in the best position possible given the room I have to work with.

Thanks a ton in advice folks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-27-2013, 08:01 AM

Liked: 22
Not a lot of people here use in ceilings, eddybbad. Looks like you have a unique situation.

Honestly, I pay more and get a dealer to design something, but that's probably not an expense you want to incur. Raising the center like you suggest seems problematic but your options are extremely limited.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-27-2013, 02:04 PM

Liked: 13
Your room looks a bit like the one I am currently setting up for a media room. Biggest difference for me is that the fireplace runs all the way across the back wall of the room, so TV will have to go on the wall above the fireplace. Side speakers will sit on the floor, but for the center channel, I plan on an in-ceiling speaker over the top of the screen, since I won't have any other place to install a center channel speaker.

Surround and rear speakers will likely be bookshelf type speakers attached to the walls or ceiling up high. The room is long and narrow with the back "wall" as an opening into the dining room/kitchen area.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-27-2013, 02:29 PM

Liked: 22
Might be hard to find a center in the ceiling that matches up well with the floor L and R. I would consider all ceiling for the fronts. Triad has the best option I came across. The setup at one dealership sounded like one of the best HTs I've heard. but they do run $700 or so per speaker, I think. I would bend my budget to get those based on the description of your room, 4crawler, especially if you plan to live where you are for a long time.

http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/icb8lcr.html
post #5 of 5 Old 10-27-2013, 03:34 PM

Liked: 13
Thanks for the input. I might look at one of those Triads for the center as a beginning and if it does not mix well with my existing floor speakers, then look to a L/R in-ceiling pair. Just in the initial stages right now, ran much of the speaker cables over the ceiling to electrical boxes. Probably be at least a year before I get things finished up and move the current system into that room. I would need to add L/R speaker wiring up in the ceiling, but that is not too hard now that I have access to the area above the ceiling now.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page