Speaker Selection for 5.1 Channel Side Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-25-2013, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I am looking at finishing my 5.1 system and wanted to get some advice on the side speakers (many people call them rears but, as I understand it, they are supposed to be 90 degrees to the ear for a 5.1) and I am looking to get in-wall 6 1/2" speakers for aesthetic reasons. My current setup is as follows:
  • Pioneer VSX-1022-K Receiver
  • JBL ES80 Towers for Front Speakers
  • Polk PSW110 Subwoofer
  • JBL Loft 20 Center Channel

I was initially planning on picking the most highly recommended Monoprice 6 1/2" in-wall speaker for these speakers, as most of them are very well priced and I have heard some pretty good things about those Monoprices with respect to sound quality/price. After checking the Fry's Electronics ad, I just saw that the Klipsch R-1650-W in-wall speakers are the cheap price of $47 each and was wondering if this speaker would be much better for the system than the Monoprice ones. The prices would be roughly the same at that deal and the "normal" price is $130 each, so the savings seem considerable.

Links:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/kilpsch-6-1-2-architectural-speaker-each/9849748.p?id=1218184162438&skuId=9849748#tab=specifications

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=109&cp_id=10837

The system will be primarily used for primetime TV viewing (in Dolby Digital 5.1) and movies. I use it for music a decent amount but don't really care about these speakers for that purpose as I would probably turn them off and go 2.1 when listening to music since that is the way it should be listened.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

-Billy Gardiner-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-27-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Bump. Does anyone have any opinions on this topic?

Thanks!

-Billy Gardiner-
post #3 of 3 Old 10-27-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Not a lot of people here use in-wall... but I'll bump it again for you smile.gif
Reply Speakers

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1022 K 560w 7 Channel A V Receiver , Jbl Es80bk 3 Way Dual 6 1 2 Floorstanding Speaker Black , Polk Audio Psw110 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer Single Cherry
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page