Help choosing the right speaker setup. New at this. Student, limited budget - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 101 Old 11-08-2013, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

OK I dont know if i have a problem or not. But today i brought my speakers to my home from my dorm so i could build some stands. I was listening back at my place to jazz perfectly. I now im herring like a ticking noise and they don't sound the same. My room in my house is bigger and the speakers are not in the floor. they are in a wall desk. So any ideas could something damaged during the trip home. I was driving careful and not fast. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 101 Old 11-08-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Speakers are not so delicate that driving in the car would impact them. If they were, no online company would be shipping speakers the way that UPS treats their packages. LOL
charmerci likes this.

post #93 of 101 Old 11-08-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Sounds like one of the drivers might have been knocked out of place. Maybe something is rubbing up against the woofer. You'll have to open it up and see. Maybe you could just exchange it for another one.
post #94 of 101 Old 11-08-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Sounds like one of the drivers might have been knocked out of place. Maybe something is rubbing up against the woofer. You'll have to open it up and see. Maybe you could just exchange it for another one.

Yeah, but how often do you hear of that happening here on AVS when speakers are shipped to people where UPS admits that packages get dropped from one conveyor belt to another (I think that they warn of 5 or 6 foot drops?). Seems much more likely that something else is going on.

post #95 of 101 Old 11-08-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by greye05 View Post

OK I dont know if i have a problem or not. But today i brought my speakers to my home from my dorm so i could build some stands. I was listening back at my place to jazz perfectly. I now im herring like a ticking noise and they don't sound the same. My room in my house is bigger and the speakers are not in the floor. they are in a wall desk. So any ideas could something damaged during the trip home. I was driving careful and not fast. 

Time to take them apart and look for lose pieces inside or damaged driver, probably a rubbing woofer cone.

Replacement drivers are best obtained from the origional manufacturer.

I tend to save the boxes and move speakers in the boxes they were shipped in to avoid the possibility of damage. Or, I recreate the shipping boxes from cardboard and Styrofoam. Cardboard goes together nicely with hot melt glue.
post #96 of 101 Old 11-08-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

I think is my 3.5mm cable thats bad. After moving it it started to sound normal again. Im going to shake them around a bit to see if i hear anything loose inside to be sure. I do notice these speakers are not that great for rock type music. They do shine is classic, jazz and house. Any way tomorrow ill be building some speakers stand. I Have another question is this sony recievers for 76.66 any good, Sony strdh720 http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH720-Channel-Receiver-Black/dp/B004QOA92A. I think im going to buy it it seems good for the price and for starters i think will fit be quite well.

post #97 of 101 Old 11-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

I do notice these speakers are not that great for rock type music. They do shine is classic, jazz and house.

Most rock albums are simply not well recorded.
post #98 of 101 Old 11-08-2013, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
An intermittent connection or short will cause ticking. A bad cable is indeed a possibility.
post #99 of 101 Old 11-08-2013, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post

Most rock albums are simply not well recorded.

I concur the majority of my rock albums either flac or mp3 sound like crap in speakers. I do find headphones better for this type of music. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

An intermittent connection or short will cause ticking. A bad cable is indeed a possibility.

Im quite certain is the cable. I but a monster 3.5mm to replace my vmodas original kevlar  when i lost them. The quality of the monster are crap so expensive and within a month they had lose connections. But i don't have any other cables at the time.  

post #100 of 101 Old 11-08-2013, 09:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:

I Have another question is this sony recievers for 76.66 any good, Sony strdh720 http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH720-Channel-Receiver-Black/dp/B004QOA92A. I think im going to buy it it seems good for the price and for starters i think will fit be quite well.
The Sony receiver will be fine

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #101 of 101 Old 11-08-2013, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

The Sony receiver will be fine

Thx for the input. I will try to have it by next week and see how much improvement does it make in the speakers. 

Reply Speakers

Tags
Logitech Inc Z623 2 1 Thx Speakers Catalog Category Speakers 2 1 Up Systems , Dayton B652 6 1 2 2 Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair , Lepai Tripath Ta2020 Class T Mini Amp Hi Fi Stereo Audio Amplifier
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page