AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Sutliff View Post

I have the onkyo txsr607. And the highest I listen at is 45

Good, same Onkyo family as mine. Let's see if we can farnarcle a number or two...

Your 607's absolute volume runs from 1 -> 79 (78 range).

My 1007's absolute volume runs from 0.5 -> 99.5 (99 range). The relative volume runs from -81.5dB -> +18dB. The absolute/relative equivalence at reference is: 82 <--> 0dB.

Just going on simplistic ratios: 82/99 * 78 = 64.6, say 65. IOW, by this method 65 master volume on your 607 could be equivalent to 0dB relative to reference level. This would make your maximum listening level equivalent to -20dBMV relative, or theoretical peaks from a single satellite channel of 85dBSPL and 95dBSPL from the LFE channel at your listening position. I would subjectively consider that to be reasonably loud within the confines of a smallish untreated room with multiple speakers operating.

Another simplistic way of doing it would be to knock the +18dB (1007 max.) off 78 (607 range) and arrive at 60. IOW, 60 MV on the 607 is equivalent to 0dB relative to reference level. This would make your maximum listening level equivalent to -15dBMV relative and the theoretical channel peaks 5dBSPL higher than the first method, or 90dBSPL at your listening position for the satellite channels. This would subjectively be a good measure louder than above.

The second method is rough and probably less likely to be correct, but it will give a more conservative answer for the purposes of working out approximate power requirements.

Trust you can follow the logic in the posts I linked above to continue on. If not, sing out and I'll take it further.

Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old 10-28-2013, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Wow thanks for all that work man! So your saying 60 or so on my receiver is reference level? Or am I completely off

Onkyo TXSR607, Mythos 8 Center, Studio Monitor 350's, Klipsch S-10 surrounds, Bic F12 sub

Epson Home Cinema 8100 Projector
post #63 of 67 Old 10-28-2013, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

No worries. smile.gif

Brad, "60 or so" or "60 odd" is a good way of putting it. This was a bit of a thumbsuck exercise, so be careful not to assign a level of precision to it that's just not there.

I think if you want to put your finger on a figure, 65 is probably close to the mark. The 60 figure is a more conservative number for calculating rough power needs, if you want to.

Talking about precision... remember also that "reference" is not defined by particular program playback SPL's (although it can be explained as such), but simply a consistent agreed upon method of setting up total system (electro-acoustic) gain so that, say, the SPL's experienced by one bloke watching a Blu-ray at a particular MV setting is about the same as another bloke on the other side of the world watching the movie at the same MV setting.
post #64 of 67 Old 10-28-2013, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 1074
Brad, you have any way of measuring the spl at your listening position? I'm not a smart phone guy but believe a lot of them have apps for a simple spl meter (may not be super accurate but might give a better idea of what spl you're getting)

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #65 of 67 Old 10-29-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lol this is all over my head. How did you guys come to learn all of this?

Mine too! biggrin.gif

You love your links don't ya!... here's a few good places to start:

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/Calculations03.htm

http://www.rane.com/digi-dic.html

http://www.communitypro.com/files/literature/tech%20notes/DB_CALC_TECH.pdf?phpMyAdmin=c9cc5b3953d87385dc22218d669e7aab
post #66 of 67 Old 10-29-2013, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Brad, you have any way of measuring the spl at your listening position? I'm not a smart phone guy but believe a lot of them have apps for a simple spl meter (may not be super accurate but might give a better idea of what spl you're getting)

I have a smartphone. I actually downloaded one a few weeks ago. It works. But I have no idea how accurate it is. During loud scene with my receiver at 45 it'll read at about 65 or 70 maybe. And that's during the loudest parts of the movie. And it says that should be a little louder than a conversation at 3feet? Lol I really don't think so

Onkyo TXSR607, Mythos 8 Center, Studio Monitor 350's, Klipsch S-10 surrounds, Bic F12 sub

Epson Home Cinema 8100 Projector
post #67 of 67 Old 10-29-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:

During loud scene with my receiver at 45 it'll read at about 65 or 70 maybe. And that's during the loudest parts of the movie.
I can burp at 80dB. eek.gif
No way is that giving a good reading.
Quote:
So your saying 60 or so on my receiver is reference level?
The position of the volume knob tells you next to nothing. The entire signal chain matters, starting with the output voltage of the source feeding the AVR, ending with the frequency response, sensitivity and displacement limited output of the speakers in the room they're used in.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page